Did I fry my xbox 360????

The place to ask your questions about the Xbox 360
crackface
Peasant
Peasant

Did I fry my xbox 360????

Post by crackface »

Wondering if anyone can offer advice here, sorry for the long post....

So I've been on iXtreme 2.01 with a Samsung M25 drive, and playing Skyrim. I decided I wanted to update the game, so tried a method using util called Horizon. This was not successful the first couple updates I downloaded, showing corrupt when I accessed them off the USB thumb drive on the 360. I then went to the IRC and asked for help, and someone indicated I could just download the 2 updates I get offered when booting with the 360 online, realizing only afterwards that I shoulda reflashed to stock first. Attempting to update with these failed, however it appeared a reboot got me back to where I was. I finally downloaded the PAL version of the Skyrim update, and it seemed to copy over to the hard drive after using Horizon from the USB thumb drive. I then played Skyrim, and my xbox began locking up at random times, always within the first 5 minutes of it running. The same occurred with an original game. Sometimes before the game started, sometimes right when the game started.

Then I thought maybe I'd return my firmware to stock, and see if there was any better luck and see if things freeze up, and perhaps try any updates. Used the same configuration (XP pc with VIA VT6421 SATA PCI card) which worked a few months ago, and I now can't seem to get JungleFlasher to see the XBOX drive. I have the drive hooked up with a SATA cable to a port on the VT6421 card, and use the xbox 360 power to power the drive. I opened the drive, hit close, and pulled the power part way through so it was left half open. The one thing that I don't recall being the same as last time, the upper left, lower left, and lower right power lights are blinking red, and the middle is blinking green. Could these lights indicate something that would relate to why I can't see my drive with JungleFlasher? At one point, just the 2 left lights were blinking red, and in all cases if I reassemble the unit it will power on green as normal...it's really only when I remove the top case that I get the red lights.

Is my xbox finally toast? If so, should I try just getting a new xbox, or should I try and find something that my older M25 drive can work with?

It seems like maybe a hardware issue, but it's odd that the freeze-ups didn't happen until after trying the online updates through 360 network.

Edit: So after several more attempts, I got it where my xbox 360 was no longer blinking the red lights (just the center light blinking green), and from within JungleFlasher, I was able to select IO Port 0xC880 and see the drive, however Intro / Device ID sat for a while then failed. Flash chip properties just shows 0xD1 and clocks for a while then fails. Status at bottom shows 0x51.

Any ideas? Is it still possible my 360 is on the way out the door?

Edit #2: I order a new MS25 drive off ebay, on the chance my drive is toast. But if anyong has any recommendations, I'd love to hear them.
yamackbuddy4
Possible Ally of Robinhood

Re: Did I fry my xbox 360????

Post by yamackbuddy4 »

The freezing wont have anything to do with the update. This at best is a issue with the laser or dvd drive, at worst the xbox is in need of a proper reflow (not with a heatgun) as it is on the way to rrod. I have never used horizon but if I remember correctly that is a program that lets you access files on a 360 formatted drive on your pc. At any rate this program is not ever needed to update your xbox so to make things simple on you in the future , don't use it. I think your best bet at this point will be to wait till your new drive comes and get that flashed and go from there. Also make sure the drive connections(sata/power cable) are not damaged.
crackface
Peasant
Peasant

Post by crackface »

Thx yamackbuddy4 - I'll wait for the new drive to come in, was only like 30 bucks off ebay. The drive also had a problem opening quite a bit, so I was in need anyways. Hopefully the new drive takes.

Quick question in regards to that - do I use the old code from my original drive and spoof it to the new one, or so I use the code on the new drive that's coming in the mail....within JungleFlasher.
yamackbuddy4

Post by yamackbuddy4 »

If you mean your ofw from your old drive yes.

Side note. If ever you run across a drive that wont open correctly, you just need to replace the drive belt. I use small black rubberbands from the beauty supply store. Works perfect every time. Only cost a buck for 100. Good luck with the new drive. I will check back to see if things went smoothly.for you.
leedo55
Bandit
Bandit

Post by leedo55 »

i had the freezing problems with my xbox and it was the harddrive, it seemed connected ok and the xbox picked it up and everything but if it wasnt sat perfect it would freeze my xbox up. i dont dare move it now incase i cant get it right again

Return to “Beginners”