XGD3 burning setup...settling the confusion

For questions with backing up your games!
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Re: XGD3 burning setup...settling the confusion

Post by CoFree »

all the game is on the disc
i dont think ill ever think flashed console are live safe
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
sas67
Possible Ally of Robinhood

Post by sas67 »

just quick message to say Imgburn has updated to 2.5.6.0

This makes burning discs about as easy as it gets. Steps 1-3 only need to be done once. Steps 1 and 2 are optional, but will make burning even easier.

1. Use the automatic write speed option.

If you're always using the same types of discs, you can set ImgBurn to always burn those discs at a particular speed without you having to tell it what that speed is every single time.

1. Fire up ImgBurn and insert one of your blanks.
2. Click Tools - Automatic Write Speed...
3. In the Settings section, the disc ID will be filled in, so set the write speed you want to use.
4. Click the Add button, then click OK.
5. Change the write speed on the main screen to "AWS" (automatic write speed).

From now on, every time ImgBurn detects that one of those particular types of discs is inserted, it will always burn it at the speed you chose. You can do this for multiple types of discs if you want to set automatic write speeds for regular DVDs and CDs as well and ImgBurn will choose the burn speed automatically depending on the disc you've put in the drive.

You only need to do that once.

2. Associate .dvd files with ImgBurn.

If .dvd files are associated with ImgBurn then when you double-click one, ImgBurn will automatically open. If they're not associated with ImgBurn, you can associate them like this: -

1. Right-click a .dvd file and choose "Open with" then choose "Choose default program".
2. Select ImgBurn as the default program.
3. Tick the box next to "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file".
4. Hit OK.

3. Set the layer break to "Calculate Optimal".

The .dvd file tells ImgBurn where to set the layer break, so you never need to fill in the layer break box manually, although some people do. As XGD3 games use a different layer break, if you set the layer break manually for burning older XGD2 games, you now have to change it back to "Calculate Optimal".

1. Fire up ImgBurn and hit Tools - Settings - Write (tab).
2. On the right-hand side set the layer break to "Calculate Optimal" and hit OK.

3. Burning XGD2 and XGD3 games.

XGD2 - If you have done everything I've mentioned above, insert your blank disc, double-click the .dvd file which will launch ImgBurn, then press the burn button. Wait for the disc to burn and verify (verification is optional, but it's a good idea to do it). Job done.

XGD3 - If you have done everything I've mentioned above, insert your blank disc, double-click the .dvd file which will launch ImgBurn, then press the burn button. As XGD3 ISOs are too large to fit on a dual-layer disc, an extra window will open. Choose the option to "Write to end of disc (Truncate)" and hit OK. Wait for the disc to burn and verify. Job done.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 06 Oct 2011 @ 13:48

it works flawlessly
just thought some may want to know :)
flash all phat's and slim drives upto 1175fw.awaiting delivery of cr3lite

CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

good stuff
thanks

i was sure img burn would do a update
the guys there are jam up

you can find the new img burn here in the 360 programs thread.
No Questions by PM.
10mg
Squire
Squire

Post by 10mg »

A question, my imgburn(2.5.5.0) asks if i want to overburn or truncate? Which do i choose?

Also, might be my disks, but they seem to only ever burn at 4x (minimum imgburn will accept)

any ideas?
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

10mg wrote:my imgburn asks if i want to overburn or truncate? Which do i choose?
Also, might be my disks, but they seem to only ever burn at 4x (minimum imgburn will accept)
any ideas?
sas67 wrote: XGD3 - If you have done everything I've mentioned above, insert your blank disc, double-click the .dvd file which will launch ImgBurn, then press the burn button. As XGD3 ISOs are too large to fit on a dual-layer disc, an extra window will open. Choose the option to "Write to end of disc (Truncate)" and hit OK. Wait for the disc to burn and verify. Job done.
Depending on the disk you can only burn at certain speeds. If your talking about verbatim brand disks you likely bought the cheaper of the disks which were made in india or japan or something, they will work just fine, but for the couple extra bucks you can buy the highest quality disks which are made in singapore and have the highest quality controls in effect. Those are always 2.5x and higher speeds. The india ones and others will usually be 4x and higher.

If your not talking about verbatim then your disks just dont support anything lower than 4x write speed. You should probably go with verbatim disks but if your disks work for backups then thats fine, not a huge deal, just keep in mind if the game wont play on a console that the disk may be the issue.
10mg
Squire
Squire

Post by 10mg »

Thanks for the clarification>

The disks I have do work for the most part but think i will buy verbatims or think about jtagging!
10mg
Squire
Squire

Post by 10mg »

have lt 2.0, using imgburn 2.5.6.0, letting img burn calculate optimal. Bit of a hit or a miss if they work or not. backup disk of rage1 worked great, 2nd was a bit iffy.

Dark souls.... first backup disk i burnt never worked. tried 3 different pc's and none worked. Tried the first disk and it works but wont allow install to disk.

Now, bioshock2 backup disk i've previously played and install works fine, same disks as the rest and burnt at 4x when the xgd3 have been 2/2.4/3/4x ?

Only thing i can think of is that i have a sammy drive!

all originals plays fine.

Read about 'All Samsung TS-H943 LT v2.01 IN PROGRESS: XGD3 big disc fix' so is it a problem that is known?
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

i dont let img burn set layer break
after you dump with xbc you use the text file that
it makes and burn that as the layer break
No Questions by PM.
jay
Bandit
Bandit

Post by jay »

Hi I have noticed that the new version of imgburn asks one question at the start.Do u want to overburn instead of truncate?I think the answer is truncate and the rest doesn't give errors.just something Ive read.I'll let u know when battlefield 3 burns or gives me a coaster!!!
10mg
Squire
Squire

Post by 10mg »

CoFree wrote:i dont let img burn set layer break
after you dump with xbc you use the text file that
it makes and burn that as the layer break
what i was trying to get at was if sammy's had an issue which is still to be resolved?
sas67

Post by sas67 »

may sound silly question,but how do we edit .dvd file to see if layerbreak is correct?

is ok,loaded dvd and found info button,layerbreak is correct,but fails verify lots on layer0..burnt @4x
need to wait for ihas drive cos my burner apparently wont burn slower..i thought it did but just found out not.....
flash all phat's and slim drives upto 1175fw.awaiting delivery of cr3lite

kev_7680
Bandit
Bandit

Post by kev_7680 »

can you tell me how to find info about layer break so i can input it myself?...thanks
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

kev_7680 wrote:can you tell me how to find info about layer break so i can input it myself?...thanks
Just run the game through abgx it will create a .dvd file which is nothing but a text file that says the iso name the dvd file is associated with, and the layer break.

The real layerbreak of the disk is 2133520 however you need to flash ixtreme burner max to your dvd burner in order to be able to burn to the very edge of the drive.

If you use 2133520 as your LB imgburn will tell you thats too large and will automatically set it to 20xxxxx (not sure of the exact value)
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

is for xdg3 games

the older game
are still 19?????
not sure what it is off the top of my head but it does start with 19
No Questions by PM.
HaGGardSmurf