Error on IMGBURN for XGD3 game, any ideas?

For questions with backing up your games!
crackface
Peasant
Peasant

Error on IMGBURN for XGD3 game, any ideas?

Post by crackface »

Hi all - hoping someone can offer advice. I recently learned that in order to burn an XGD3 game to play on my flashed LiteOn in my 360, that I had to purchase a Liteon iHAS124-B drive, and flash it with the iXtreme Burner Max firmware. So I purchased one (and I'm positive it's an iHAS124-B), it already had the latest stock firmware, and I flashed the Burner Max firmware without issue and rebooted. This is on an XP desktop, with the sata cable plugged into onboard SATA port. I go to burn an XGD3 iso with IMGBURN 2.5.6 on a Verbatim MKM-001-00 disc, and it makes it through the burn process fine, but about halfway through the verify process it fails. I have tried 4 different times with these discs. I also put the ISO through abgx and it checks out fine. Any ideas?

Trying to attach image here to show you the error, hopefully I can do this right....

http://s19.postimage.org/5zn0n5vxf/imgburn_error.jpg
Last edited by crackface on Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moonknight
Possible Ally of Robinhood

Re: Error on IMGBURN for XGD3 game, any ideas?

Post by moonknight »

Now that you have the correct hardware and software, it is time to tweak the burn.

In the burnermax software download, open eeprom utility. Go to the options tab and make the smartburn and overburn checked, nothing else checked. Then clear opc history (do this every time you burn a new disc).

In imgburn, set your speed to 4x during the burn. You can also adjust the buffer size, I set mine to something like 512mb I think.

This should clean up (and speed up) your burns. Get a utility called kprobe v2 to check the burns afterwards instead of having imgburn do it (uncheck verify when you burn).
nufcmickey
Trusted Member
Trusted Member

Post by nufcmickey »

Not to confuse things here, Ive just recently read on the TX forums and they had imput from the guy who created IB, That in fact altering the buffers wont make a difference, and clearing the opc should only be done when you get bad burns, as enableing smartburn will remember a good burn, meaning like keep clearing opc till you get a good burn then leave it alone afterwards. In fact I will try find the link because it was when I first got my IHAS and some MK3 verbs, I had troubles and dug it out. But your discs are MK1s so will look for that.
nufcmickey
Trusted Member
Trusted Member

Post by nufcmickey »

http://team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74721

There ya go have a read through that, This is what I did and finally now get good burns, but after getting 100% verify a few times I stopped doing that as they all seem good. Good Luck !
crackface
Peasant
Peasant

Post by crackface »

First off, a big thanks to moonknight for helping me through many steps of this seemingly long process of getting back to playing burned games.

And nufcmickey - I read through that thread, but not sure what to take away from it.

So I tried moonknight's advice, and still when trying the disc in the console, it just sits there reading for a while, then goes to "open tray". To cofirm what I did:
- I opened up the EEPROM util, went to options, and checked off "Smart Burn" and "Over Speed Writing" (I didn't see an "overburn" setting like moonknight mentioned, so hoping he meant "Over Speed Writing").
- I clicked the Clear OPC History button
- I then opened the .dvd file in IMGBURN
- I set the speed to 4x (which confused me a little, cuz I thought for the MKM-001-00 discs, I was supposed to burn at 2.4x?)
- Here's another confusing part - the advice to set buffer size to 512mb. There's 2 places I can set a buffer. I set the one under Settings | Build tab | Page 2 tab to 512mb. But there's another buffer setting under Settings | I/O tab | Page 2 tab. Did I perhaps set the wrong one?
- I then burned, which seem to work fine.
- I then ran KProbe2. I'm not sure what I was supposed to see with that, but the following it the results txt file it output:

Date : 3/24/2012 6:29:49 PM
Model : 1-0-1-0 ATAPI iHAS124 B AL0S
Disc : DVD+R DL , MKM001 [Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation]
Speed : Max
ECC blocks sum (PI/PIF) : 8/1
Scanned range : 0 - 4267019
Sampling count : 248952
Errors : 0
PI Max : 244
PI Average : 4.41
PI Total : 138497
PIF Max : 16
PIF Average : 0.15
PIF Total : 4639

Again, I REALLY appreciate everyone's help in trying to help me figure this out! Any other ideas on what I may be doing wrong? This was so much less hassle with my old Sammy :(

Thanks in advance for any further advice, and please let me know if there's any other details I should provide.

Just for ha-ha's, I asked the guys on #JungleFlasher, and they suspect I have a weak laser? They point me to this link: http://team-xecuter.com/forums/showpost ... ostcount=1

This is a refurbished xbox I bought from gamestop, but it sounds like the weak laser issue can happen even on a new unit. I'm a little nervous about tweaking the POT, so would love to here further advice here before I take a crack at that.

Also, I'm reading some stuff on Kprobe, and someone suggested the PI Max shouldn't be over 100, and PIF Max should be above 4. As you can see above, both my values are over. Could this be my problem? If so, what can I do to lower those values on next disc I burn?
moonknight

Post by moonknight »

Nufcmickey is right, I shouldn't be clearing opc before each write... learned something new.

These settings are listed in guide created by DrunkenNinja (as nufcmickey linked to), with overspeed set to on because you are using MKM001 discs:

First clear OPC in EEPROM power cycle the drive and then try these settings

IMGBURN SETTINGS:
Layerbreak: Calculate optimal
OPC=OFF

EEPROM SETTINGS:
SB=ON
FHT=ON
OS=ON
OHT=OFF

Important: You should only Clear OPC and power cycle the drive before the FIRST burn, on every other occasion you should not touch any settings, one of the reasons for these tests was so users didn't have to mess about with their drive settings before each burn.

Also With Smart Burn enabled the drive will memorize the last (EIGHT) burns and after this time will formulate a write strategy best suited to the media, so if your getting slightly erratic but still decent to not acceptable, this is your drive formulating it's write strategy so please persevere with the same settings and burn some more discs.
nufcmickey
Trusted Member
Trusted Member

Post by nufcmickey »

This is the settings I had to use to get good burns,

Firstly after reading the TX page I turned my buffers back to 40mb default,

I have everything enabled in the advanced settings for the Liteon drive, I dont clear the OPC anymore

I have Checked OPC before write in the settings write tab.

But again Im using the MK03 Singapore versions so its maybee different for you.

Now after reading over your last post, you say your getting the Open Tray error, Yeah it sounds like it needs pot tweaking or new laser or drive, The guy who comes to flash my drive tweaked mine for me and is fine now, But everytime Ive had the open tray message it was deffo the laser. When it happened to me the first time I just got a new drive, They only about £15. But yeah that sounds like your problem, I wouldnt bother wasting anymore discs, especially not verbs. :o :cry:

P.S I believe the buffer settings your refering to is in the I/O tab.

Good Luck, hope you get it sorted.

Return to “Game Backups”