Trying to Flash Hitachi 47DJ...

The place for more technical questions about modding your Xbox 360!
sa91899
Squire
Squire

Re: Trying to Flash Hitachi 47DJ...

Post by sa91899 »

Yeah all of said backup games played on my flashed benq drive till the xbox just quit working....

So they played on the other drive so I know they were a good copy then.

Now, with the Hitachi, the xbox reads the disc and then says "Open tray" again...

Could this be a possible weak laser? After all the drive was manufactured in 2005....

I had heard somewhere that after flashing sometimes the laser POT needs adjusted.
moonknight
Possible Ally of Robinhood

Post by moonknight »

That could be the case if you have already verified the disks in abgx.
sa91899
Squire
Squire

Post by sa91899 »

Wow... Hard to believe this is my first post since July 16th 2011....

Since we are still here and the world hasn't ended, I decided to dig out my old XBOX 360 again...

I really want to try and fix this issue with the DVD drive not reading known good backup discs. It gives me a disc error or "disc unreadable" message.

I know the backups I have are good as they play on a friends xbox, but when I put them in my drive I get the errors.

I am really leaning toward just going onto ebay and buying a new Benq and spoofing it as a hitachi, however before I ran out and did that, I wanted to come in here and get your all's opinion about doing that.

Pro's vs. Con's?

I truly believe the POT is getting too old on this drive. So other than replacing the pot, I figured I would just replace the drive.

I'm pretty sure I can find the original drive info for the Hitachi since I will need that to sppof the drive.

Hope you guys are still around to help me through this.

Thanks in advance for the help and any help offered is greatly appreciated.

Steve
moonknight

Post by moonknight »

Cons:
Your xbox may (probably will) get banned if spoofed
Replacing the drive is a lot more expensive than replacing the laser
Buying a used drive is a gamble, you don't know how long it will last

Pros:
Don't have to disassemble the dvd drive to replace the laser
Don't have to unsolder the anti-static spot on the laser (if you don't have access to a soldering iron)
Laser may have to be adjusted after install
sa91899
Squire
Squire

Post by sa91899 »

Great! Thanks for the response moonkight...
moonknight wrote:Cons:
Your xbox may (probably will) get banned if spoofed - I don't play online. I usually just play campaigns and that's about it
Replacing the drive is a lot more expensive than replacing the laser - Not sure of the price difference. Will check it out.
Buying a used drive is a gamble, you don't know how long it will last - Yeah, that would basically get me where I already am.

Pros:
Don't have to disassemble the dvd drive to replace the laser - :)
Don't have to unsolder the anti-static spot on the laser (if you don't have access to a soldering iron) :) I hate soldering
Laser may have to be adjusted after install - :o
sa91899
Squire
Squire

Post by sa91899 »

Thinking of trying this one:

http://www.buy.com/prod/xbox-360-dvd-dr ... 13855.html

Anyone know of a good reputable dealer in these that you have dealt with? I want it to be new but as cheap as possible. $33 isn't too bad I guess.
moonknight

Post by moonknight »

Less than $7 shipped for a replacement laser. If you can take apart an xbox, you can take apart the dvd drive. The solder connection to unsolder is just touching a hot soldering iron tip to the solder joint and it separates....

If you do go with the replacement drive, just swap out the dvd daughter board instead of reading and reflashing the drive, as long as it is the same type of drive...
yamackbuddy4

Post by yamackbuddy4 »

sa91899 wrote:
I am really leaning toward just going onto ebay and buying a new Benq and spoofing it as a hitachi
Just a heads up....
You may not be able to play any ap2.5 or xgd3 games if you do this . You need to make sure you get the same drive that was inside there originally. Spoofing hasnt been supported in a while.
HAZ3
Bandit
Bandit

Post by HAZ3 »

moonknight wrote: If you do go with the replacement drive, just swap out the dvd daughter board instead of reading and reflashing the drive, as long as it is the same type of drive...

If he does decide to purchase the drive & winds up being the same, he might as well retrieve the keys from the new drive, save them & flash the replacement drive with the new firmware. Why hassle switching out the pcb if it's the same, makes no sense to me. As long as the drive is the same then you should be golden, correct me if I'm wrong as I haven't been here in a While however I too have the same drive but replaced it with an ms28 that's spoofed as a 47dj though i have yet to update mine ever since i got the xkey which i have yet to install as well. Wonder if any one here has it (xkey) as well.

Return to “360 DVD Drive Flashing”