Trying to Flash Hitachi 47DJ...

The place for more technical questions about modding your Xbox 360!
sa91899
Squire
Squire

Trying to Flash Hitachi 47DJ...

Post by sa91899 »

Hello,

I am back... :)

I had a Benq that I had trouble flashing but I FINALLY got that issue resolved. (Thank you Cofree!) Only problem is, sometime after that the 360 started to exhibit "strange" behaviour. For example, after about 10 - 15 mins of game play the screen freezes and gets little black dots all over it. So, I haven't played 360 for a long time now.

I just recently (2 days ago) went to gamestop and bought a refurbished 360. Refurbished is right since this console is from November 2005... I think this could have been my grandfathers xbox... hehe

Anyway, I have been for the last 2 days trying to flash the dvd drive for this box and can NOT get this thing to work!

What I have:

Xbox 360 with a Hitachi 3120L with fw version 47dj Dashboard version 2.0.13146.0
1 Windows 7 computer with a via 4126 PCI sata card installed (have tried with drivers installed and removed)
1 Windows 7 computer with on board sata (Nvidia I believe)
Hitachi LT+ firmware
JungleFlasher versions 1.15, 1.74 (138) & 1.78 (183)

I have connected the 360 up to the via sata PCI card, the on board sata with several different combinations and when JungleFlasher loads and opens it will NOT see the drive on ANY port. It's as if the drive isn't even plugged into the card. (drive is in the 360 and I am using the 360 to power the dvd drive)

No matter which computer I try it on, which sata port I have it in the drive is not seen by JungleFlasher.

It has been quite frustrating, to say the least...

I thought, well maybe I can use the Benq and just spoof it to the Hitachi 47DJ but no dice... I can't do that without the dvd drive key...

I am hoping that you guys here will be able to help me out here. You did a great job helping me last time.

Any help you can off will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Re: Trying to Flash Hitachi 47DJ...

Post by CoFree »

well man
first i would say find a xp pc
to do your modding on
even if you have to set you a dual boot on one of your pc
then do that.

then use the latest jungle flasher
found here

using the 360 to power the drive will cause trouble alot of the time.
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
moonknight
Possible Ally of Robinhood

Post by moonknight »

I had real problems using onboard Nvidia SATA on one of my computers, never did get it working correctly. I use a different computer now. As far as using Windows 7, that is what I run and have no problems flashing drives (usually).
sa91899
Squire
Squire

Post by sa91899 »

Wow... What a process....

I had to uninstall a bunch of stuff off my Win 7 pc, then use the disk management feature to partition an new partition, which I then found out would only give me a 2 GB partition even though I had 155 GB free... I defragged my drive to get everything toward the front of the drive, then reran the disk management program and was able to partition about a 40GB partition.

Started my XP install and had to do that 3 times as the disk was all scratched up but I finally got it installed.

Had to install the drivers for the VIA 6421 PCI card

Tried JungleFlasher and found that I needd .Net installed. Installed that

Ok, I got everything loaded that I needed to and NOW...

Everytime I turn on the Hitachi, XP freezes...

Tried turning everything off and turn on the xbox first but when I do that XP loads really slow and once it does load it tells me that the VIA 6421 card could not be started. Turn of the xbox and reboot, the VIA card loads fine. Turn on the xbox and then XP freezes....

Can anyone offer some more guidance?

I am a persistant person or else I may have given up by now, but I really want to get this drive flashed!!!

What would you guys suggest? Or, has anyone else seen this type of behaviour before?

Thanks,

Steve
sa91899
Squire
Squire

Post by sa91899 »

Ok... Made a little progress...

The XBOX is NOT freezing XP anymore... :)

I REMOVED (not uninstalled) the VIA drivers and this fixed the freezing problem.

Turned on XBOX and everything was still fine.

Started JungleFlasher and it opened without a problem. Chose Portio instead of WinAPI and either way the drive is STILL not recognized on the SATA port...

GGRRRRR......

everything is functioning correctly but I still can not see the drive in JungleFlasher. I have it on the primary SATA port in the 6421.

Look on that port in JungleFlasher, it says "No drive detected"...

Which is the same problem I was seeing in Win 7 originally.

Man, I hope somone has some info to help me out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

Steve
sa91899
Squire
Squire

Post by sa91899 »

Ok, I just went out and downloaded Slax2 and burned it onto a cd.

Loadedit into my pc powered off the PC, powered on the pc & XBOX.

Slax loaded and the 360 is NOT in Mode B...

This is getting crazier and crazier.

Is there a possibility that this drive can not be flashed?

I mean, it plays my original games fine but I can NOT get it to be recognized.

:(
moonknight

Post by moonknight »

Did you try reading the jungleflasher tutorial? When start jungleflasher, go to the irc tab (last tab), then click on the tutorial link. This will take you to jungleflasher.net. A little ways down the page will be the tutorial (link to download it at least).

Very straight forward for use with Hitachi drives.

While you are at it, you could also update your jungleflasher to the latest version, 0.1.84 at the time of this post. Not much has changed for Hitachi drives since the last version you have, but might as well be up to date.
sa91899
Squire
Squire

Post by sa91899 »

Thanks moonkight...

The JungleFlasher tutorial is also in the Documents folder in the JungleFlasher Distro... I have followed that every step of the way, and everything works correctly EXCEPT the drive not being recognized...

As for the latest version of JungleFlasher, I am using version 0.1.84 (250) which was sugggested by Cofree up in his first post in this thread.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am open to any and all possibilities.

Thanks,

Steve
moonknight

Post by moonknight »

I know you have tried different computers and ports, but have you tried a different SATA cable?

This plagiarized from another source, IF you can get into ModeB:
Drive Detection in Windows
When you have made sure your drive is in ModeB, connect it to your PC and power up your PC. If you used Slax, remember to take out the Slax disc because you need to boot from the hard drive into Windows. At the Windows loading bar, you should eject the Hitachi drive in and out a few times. Some people believe that they only need to eject the drive if the loading gets stuck, but this is NOT true! Testing has shown that device I/O errors while flashing were a result from the failure to eject the Hitachi drive at the Windows loading bar.
When Windows boots up, check to see if the drive is detected. First, open device manager. Right-click “My Computer” and select “Manage.” A Computer Management window should open up with a list to the left. In that list to the left, under System Tools, is Device Manager.
Check your CD/DVD drives to see if the Hitachi GDR-3120L is listed.
sa91899
Squire
Squire

Post by sa91899 »

Well, at the first I wondered about the PCI card AND the cable...

I was having such a hard time of it at first, but I have a 1TB Seagate Barracuda that is SATA so I hooked it up to the PCI card using the same cable and it recognized the drive and I transferred some 155GB of date from my primary HD over to the Seagate using the same card AND cable.

After being able to do that, I figured it wasn't the card or the cable that was the problem.

AS for ModeB... I would LOVE to be able to just get the thing into Mode B... If I could get it there, I'm pretty sure I could get it to flash.

Using JungleFlasher, I have to get the drive to be recognized on the port before I can send a Mode B command and with the Slax 2.1 disk, it wouldn't go into Mode B either....

This is all just very strange.
moonknight

Post by moonknight »

Try the tutorial here to get your drive into ModeB. (Replace the xx in hxxp with tt)

http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/topic/9 ... in-mode-b/

Didn't want to do a direct link from here, not sure if it is allowed.

its fine man
if they have a guide that would be helpful
then of course
we are here to help ;)

edit
by cofree
sa91899
Squire
Squire

Post by sa91899 »

Ok! A tutorial I HAVEN"T tried yet...
(I've scoured the internet looking for resources to help get this thing flashed...)

Well, this tutorials link to the SLAX CD was no longer valid but I had already downloaded SLAX 2.1 earlier so I used the disc I had already made.

I did this on my newer Win 7 pc that has onboard SATA ports...

Connected the XBOX drive up to my SATA port and inserted the CD.
Powered on the PC and went into the BIOS and how about that! The XBOX drive WAS recognized by the BIOS!!!! (That was encouraging)

So I power off the XBOX and backed out of the BIOS and waited until the tutorial said to power on the XBOX (When the ISOLINUX comes up on the screen).

The XBOX powered on and the PC screen continued to load.

At the part where the tutorial said that the Screen would say "Spinning up disk", my screen says, "Port is slow to respond, please be patient..."

It tries to reset the port twice and then just gives up and moves on with the bootup process.

I tried to hit the eject button like the tutorial says, but the drive was NOT in Mode B.

I tried it several times varying the tiems when I turned on the XBOX and all trys were the same... When it is supposed to say "Spinning up disk", my screen says, "Port is slow to respond, please be patient..." and then seventually just gives up. I even tried to open and close the tray several times during the "Please be patient" part thinking it may help but it didin't.

Again, thank you so much for trying to help me on this issue. It has been a very frustrating situation.

Are we sure that Dashboard version 2.0.13146.0 Didn't cause this drive to NOT be flashable?

Thanks again for your help,

Steve
moonknight

Post by moonknight »

The new dash didn't cause the drives to be unflashable, it just wrote over the modified firmware and sent it back to stock (with a few changes like different address for the DVD keys).

There is another way to get the drive into ModeB by momentarily shorting a few of the wires on the drives power harness, but it can (will) damage the drive if left too long. I will try and look for the directions for that if you want.

I know this can be frustrating, but the sense of accomplishment when it is done is worth it.

Two more options:
1) Try it from somebody else's computer, maybe yours just has some issues we haven't figured out.
2) Pay someone from Craigslist to do it, just make SURE you get the dvd key. Most charge about $40 to do it, but you might get someone to do it for cheaper, and they probably would let you watch.
sa91899
Squire
Squire

Post by sa91899 »

Ok....

Haven't been on in a few days but that doesn't mean there aren't new developments... ;)

This Hitachi drive just would not go into ModeB... So I ended up trying as a last resort, the 2 wire trick and what do you know... It went right into ModeB right away...

It was great. Botted up Windows and it assigned it a drive letter. It was awesome!

Opened the latest JungleFlasher and guess what.... It would not recognize it on any port.... :(

However, on the right, under the Hitachi tab, it DID show as Drive I so I just continued on. I refreshed and in the Log it said it was a Hitachi drive. I Queried it and it showed as a Hitachi drive.

I dumped the original firmware using classic mode

I then loaded up the new hacked firmware and tried to flash the it using Raw mode and I got errors.....

I tried the same using method select and it was the same thing...

JungleFlasher said it could not determine the Firmware Version...

I was stumped again!

I moved everything over to my XP PC with the VIA PCI SATA card and it wouldn't even recognize. :(

Did some digging around on the internet and couldn't really find anything and I even got to the point where I was going to try to spoof one of my old drives but I couldn't even get them into vendor mode...

GRRRR....

So.... I reconnected the Hitachi up and went into the bios to make sure that it was recognized there (after getting it back into ModeB)

While in there i happened to look at the SATA setting and I remembered someone saying something about the ACHI setting so I turned that off and set it to IDE and booted up windows.

It was given a drive letter, I opened JungleFlasher and was able to flash the Hitachi so fast that I couldn't even believe I was done....

I sat there and said... "Is that it?" Less than 30 seconds and I was done. The drive was flashed and I hooked it up to my Xbox and tried out some of my backups.

It's playing the SOME of the backups.

The firmware I flashed the Hitachi with is LT+1.1

Is this the newest firmware???

What is this Ixtreme 1.51 or 1.6??

So I guess I'm asking if I flashed the drive with latest firmware...

Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks,

Steve
moonknight

Post by moonknight »

LT+ v1.1 is latest for Hitachi.

Glad to hear you got it going. One thing about Hitachi drives, if (when) you flash it again, make sure you flash the original back to it first before flashing any new firmware to it.

For the games that aren't playing, did you re-burn them after running them through abgx? Ixtreme blocks games that would get you banned from live, and something that played on an earlier version of Ixtreme may not play on a later release.

Return to “360 DVD Drive Flashing”