Correct hardware needed for flashing Lite-On 74850C

The place for more technical questions about modding your Xbox 360!
crackface
Peasant
Peasant

Correct hardware needed for flashing Lite-On 74850C

Post by crackface »

Hi - I just had a 360 with flashed Sammy...entire unit went south. So I bought a refurbed phat 360 that has a Lite-On 74850C drive. I'm confused by the JungleFlasher tutorial as to what exactly I need for hardware, as I don't want to cut and solder.

The JungleFlasher pdf says I need a PMT or CK Probe 3. I think I read elsewhere that I needed a CK Probe 3 and something else to power the drive (I think implying that I shouldn't use the xbox to power the drive like I did back with the Sammy).

I'm looking at products from Team Xecuter, and I see:

"Xecuter CK3 Probe 3"
http://team-xecuter.com/xecuter-ck3-probe-v3/
Would that be the only hardware I need, or do I still need to get something else?

I also see "Xecuter Blaster CK3"
http://team-xecuter.com/blasterck3/
This looks like a unit I can install inside the 360 to make all future flashing possible without cracking the box?
Could this be a substitute for the Xecuter CK3 Probe 3, and potentially also the only hardware I need?

Any advice on whether I should purchase one of these or something entirely different would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in afvance!!!

EDIT: Talking to someone on IRC, they're recommending I get the x360USB Pro. However I previously successfully flashed my old Sammy drive several times using SATA connection to a Via VT6421A card. If I was successful before, is it still recommended I get an X360USB Pro? I'd like to save myself the $55 if my current setup will likely work, and looks like I can get the CK3 Probe 3 for around $15 which isn't bad if that's all I need.
moonknight
Possible Ally of Robinhood

Re: Correct hardware needed for flashing Lite-On 74850C

Post by moonknight »

First things first, before you flash it take the system update to at least dashboard 13146. This will flash your dvd drive too, which then becomes a liteon 02510C. If you don't update the dashboard first, you will have to flash you dvd drive twice. Also, don't follow any guides that have you cut a trace on your dvd drive as they are outdated and no longer necessary.

You do need to open your dvd case to flash it. That being said, powering it from the xbox itself could be tricky because the dvd power cable isn't very long. If you do end up using the xbox for power, I would recommend removing the motherboard from the case.

You also need a pogo mon thoin (PMT) to dump your drive. Here is how to make one from scratch using your dvd drive power harness (I recommend using the one from your dead xbox if you still have it). You will need a length of wire, a needle or other pointy metal object, and a single pull single throw (SPST) switch. The switch is installed in line with the power wire in the dvd drive power harness and let's you power on and off the drive at the right times during the dump of the dvd firmware.
http://www.robinhoodsplayground.com/for ... ilit=+pogo

If you decide not to power your drive from the xbox or make your own PMT, you can get a CK3 with a probe v3.
crackface
Peasant
Peasant

Post by crackface »

I'm at dashboard update 14719, so that should be OK, right?

I already ordered last night a CK3 Probe 3, since it wasn't much money. Does this mean I don't need to make the PMT you describe below? Does this tool also eliminate the problem with working with a short power cable from the xbox?

Sorry for the newb questions, but any help is greatly appreciated!
moonknight

Post by moonknight »

That dashboard is up to date, so you actually have liteon 02510C due to the dvd firmware update.

The probe v3 does the same thing as the pogo mon thoin, but you also need the ck3 to use it. The probe is an add on for the ck3.
crackface
Peasant
Peasant

Post by crackface »

Thanks a ton moonknight.

I hate to be dumba$$ here, but I have more clarification points/questions:

I do understand that I now have a 02510C drive.

I also understand that in addition to the "CK3 Probe 3", you're saying I need a CK3 as well. I don't see a CK3 on Team Xecuter's web site, but I do however see a CK3i and a CK3 Lite. Both seem to have on/off switches, and eject buttons, which is what I assume the CK3 is needed for. Can I get either one? I also see a discontinued CK3 Pro, should I get that instead?

I'm trying to understand where I need to use the CK3 and the probe, so I'm reading through the JF tutorial, and the decision tree allows me to select one these three options for stock FW:
1. No-Capacitor/Probe 3
- When going this path, I see the instructions reach point where I "switch 3.3v inline switch off". So this is something I do with the CK3 right?
2. PMT with Capacitor
- These instructions look quite similar to the one above, except there's a few more power cycles at the end
3. No PMT/Probe 3 (this option also states "Note: Only MRA will work on 02510 FW"...is this not true? MRA is the cut and solder method, right?)
- This appears to be going to the cutting/soldering method, which you said is no longer needed.

So what this boils down to are 2 questions:
1. Which CK3 do I need, and is it really just for having a power switch and eject button? In other words can the same thing be accomplished by plugging/unplugging the power cable from the drive, and using the eject button on the xbox? I have no problem buying one, just curious on its purpose and which one I need.
2. Which JF instructions do I follow for flashing? One of the first 2 out of 3 that I list above from JF pdf guide, or do I use an entirely different set of instructions?

Sorry for all the questions, but I greatly appreciate any guidance.
nufcmickey
Trusted Member
Trusted Member

Post by nufcmickey »

The things I would recomend which allows you to very easily flash any drive within like 5 minutes, I have a friend come round to do mine and all he has is his laptop, a CK3 Pro or Lite, A Probe V3 and a x360 usb Pro, But because he using a laptop he uses an external Molex power cable, Hooks it all up, opens JF, Id say 2 minutes and he`s done. In the past year or 2 he has done my 7 series Liteon and 8 series on numerous occassions.

I did my first drive like you did your sammy, Mine was a Benq. But what I did do was watch Coffrees video tutorial from here over and over, wrote stuff down and copied exactly what he did. You should do the same with his latest video tut.

I know you dont want to buy extra stuff I not need be, or if you carnt afford it like me, But if you can then I really do say get the USB Pro, Probe 3 and a CK3 Lite and your good to go, Theres many tuts on you tube and on here.
yamackbuddy4

Post by yamackbuddy4 »

crackface wrote:
So what this boils down to are 2 questions:
1. Which CK3 do I need, and is it really just for having a power switch and eject button? In other words can the same thing be accomplished by plugging/unplugging the power cable from the drive, and using the eject button on the xbox? I have no problem buying one, just curious on its purpose and which one I need.
2. Which JF instructions do I follow for flashing? One of the first 2 out of 3 that I list above from JF pdf guide, or do I use an entirely different set of instructions?

Sorry for all the questions, but I greatly appreciate any guidance.
1. Ck3 mini replaced the ck3 lite & ck3i replaced the ck3 pro (they dont sell pro or lite any more) . Either one would work. Keep in mind ck3 mini doesn't sen 12v power used for ejecting the drive. The drive you have doesn't need to be ejected to flash. I don't ever recommend using the xbox to power the drive for flashing . Proper tools makes the job that much easier.

2. (No-Capacitor / Probe 3) page 178 of the pdf.

ufcmickey is on point with the usbpro. If plan on doing multible consoles usbpro is the way to go. Well worth the 60 bucks . Hell you can even get a bundle from xconsoles......
This has everything you need...... http://www.xconsoles.com/products/X360U ... DLE-1.html

Return to “360 DVD Drive Flashing”