Haven't flashed in a couple years: help please?

The place for more technical questions about modding your Xbox 360!
petrieslastword
Squire
Squire

Haven't flashed in a couple years: help please?

Post by petrieslastword »

I haven't done anything 360 flashing in a few years, since 2.5 was new I believe, simply haven't needed to. Now I have a friend who wants to have his older style 360 flashed. I still have my materials and such, but want to figure out what the most up-to-date/easiest method of flashing would be. Jungleflasher was the old go-to for me, but I have to assume things have gotten simpler since then? I'm on a Windows 8 system now so I'm hoping that won't make it any harder.

It appears he has either a BenQ or Liteon drive. Likely BenQ.

Help/guidance would be very much appreciated. Thank you!
moonknight
Possible Ally of Robinhood

Re: Haven't flashed in a couple years: help please?

Post by moonknight »

The guide in Jungleflasher is invaluable, I would take a look at that first and see if you have any questions (make sure to get the latest version of JF). Also, you should get the latest firmware, which is at 3.0 now. Post back if you need any further help.
petrieslastword
Squire
Squire

It seems to be a June 2009 Liteon, but boy am I not having any luck via JF. Is DOSFlash still a viable option or has it been abandoned?
moonknight

Post by moonknight »

Jungleflasher is the way to go.

Here are a few links to help you along, because you need some specific hardware (easily made) in order to read the dvd firmware.

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=16595&hilit=pogo

In that thread is another link on how to make a pogo mon thoin, and how to modify a dvd drive cable to be able to flash.
petrieslastword
Squire
Squire

I don't think that's right, as this is an 83850 June 2009 drive so it doesn't need the probe, though I do have one.

I'm on Windows 8 and have disabled the via drivers, my pc sees the drive, but I simply can't get it to pull a key. Perhaps Windows 8 64 bit is the issue? Any further guidance is very appreciated.
moonknight

Post by moonknight »

That means that your dashboard is not up to date. Update the xbox to latest dashboard and the dvd drive will take an update as well. I you flash the drive first, you will just have to reflash again afterwards. If you don't take the update, you will limit yourself to playing games that are at least as old as the dashboard you are currently on.
petrieslastword
Squire
Squire

moonknight wrote:That means that your dashboard is not up to date. Update the xbox to latest dashboard and the dvd drive will take an update as well. I you flash the drive first, you will just have to reflash again afterwards. If you don't take the update, you will limit yourself to playing games that are at least as old as the dashboard you are currently on.
Weird. He claimed his box was up-to-date, but I guess I can check to be sure. If it is up to date is there something else I might be overlooking?
moonknight

Post by moonknight »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_system_software

Drives updated with version 2.0.13146 May 2011
pink
Bandit
Bandit

Post by pink »

i have not flashed my box in a long time and got a system update today. noticed jungle flasher's domain name is no longer viable. Is there another program being used. my latest jf is 196(323). thanks for yo help

Return to “360 DVD Drive Flashing”