Controller Modding

Let us see what you've done to your Xbox 360 that makes it your own!
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Controller Modding

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

Well me and a friend of mine are going to paint our controller cases, I know how to open the case, and have before, but I just bought the correct tool from ebay (Torx T8H, before I just broke the pin and used a reg T8)

We went to some comix and hobbie store, and bought this spray paint recommended by a friend of a friend of my buddy. Its for plastics, so it should work pretty well, but I dont know if we should Prime the controllers or not. I have seen a couple youtube videos where they do and a couple where they dont. Just want to know if you guys primed or not? (I think the plastic is the same as on the xbox case, so if you painted it let me know)

Also, when I was like 8 I bought an air brush so I could paint my 1/18 scale di-cast cars. I bought some clear coat aswell. Is there special clear coat I need to buy to use on the controllers, or is clear coat all the same?
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Re: Controller Modding

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

Bump. (The topic isnt in the view new posts :O )
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

Of the two that I painted, I primed one and not the other. Both ended up with paint coming off after a while. And I did use Krylon for plastics paint. Not saying that there might be a good hobby paint that will work great on plastics like the 360 controller mind you. But going my that, I don't think it will make a difference if you prime it or not. As for clear coat, I would say there is a difference in the quality from brand to brand. Not sure which one is the best. The thing you want to watch though, is the button holes. If you get too much build of of primer/paint/clear coat, when you put the buttons back in, they may not work smoothly.

One thing I didn't do with mine that you might consider with yours is using a really fine sand paper to go over the surfaces of the controller to kinda rough it up a little and give the paint a little better grip surface.
Sadalius

No questions by PM please
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

Yea, I am thinking of sanding it a little bit, but I stumbled upon some very good guide videos on youtube. The user's name is MyCustomXbox you should check his videos out if you want to paint your controllers. He explained that you should clean the controller once with dish soap, then clean it again with paint thinner all the while wearing gloves, so as not to get grease from your hands on the controller. I learned quite a bit from the videos haha.
shwaggy
Squire
Squire

Post by shwaggy »

I suggest using Dupli-color vinyl dye. It works so much better then any paint. Doesn't come in a lot of colors though. All you have to do is spray it onto the controller in very light mist coats until its fully covered. It dries in about a minute and cures in 24 hours or so. But the cool thing is that it doesn't get all gunky like regular spray paints and actually dyes the plastic.. So it wont peel or fade or scratch. Works really good. Plus it doesnt need a clear coat so you wont get a slimy feeling controller.

Code: Select all

http://alcaron.blogspot.com/2006/12/noir-360-wireless-controller.html
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

The problem with the dye is that I bought a couple metallic paints. I plan on doing a normal type of paint for the base coat, draw my designes, tape them off, and spray my metallic overcoat.

The dye method is VERY unforgiving, and I dont think it would be good for me to do as my first attempt, atlest with paint if its crappy, I can just sand it off, and repaint.

By the way, I bought 600 Grit silicon sandpaper, and Tried it on my controller, and it worked awesome! I will finish sanding and begin painting soon.

Return to “Cosmetic Case Mods”