Need help with 3 red rings please!

Anything and everything that has to do with the 360
tdavidson5636
Peasant
Peasant

Need help with 3 red rings please!

Post by tdavidson5636 »

Ok, I bought a xbox elite off ebay with the 3 red rings. I have fixed a couple before using the replace x-claps with a set of metal and plastic washers and srews. I cleand up the heat syncs and applies thermal past and but the heat syncs back in place turned on until 3 red light went to 2 and let it run for 2 to 3 minutes. Then took mother board out and tighten the srews let it cool down and still three lights. How do I get it to go green, this is frustrating as hell. Anybody who can help me out I would be very gratfull. Thanks
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Re: Need help with 3 red rings please!

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

Never never overheat your xbox... If you xclamp most times your RROD will be gone after the first or second start up, if they are not, your box has not been fixed.

You will probably need to reflow. Go to your local hardware store, buy a heat gun that can heat up to or over 1000 degrees.
tdavidson5636
Peasant
Peasant

Post by tdavidson5636 »

How do I reflow? With the heat gun? I thought overheating it was kind of like reflowing it?
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

heat gun
just heats up what you need it to
doing that dumb ass overheat. overheats a lot of stuff in your console you dont need to overheat
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
tdavidson5636
Peasant
Peasant

Post by tdavidson5636 »

I have watched some videos on youtube. I am going to get a heat gun tommrow mourning and try it out. Is there a video on how to do it corectly that you recomend? I have seen how to do it with putty and plastic wrap and tin foil. Then I saw one with just tin foil. What is the best way to do it?
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

Your going to want to heat the top and bottom of the GPU for ~15 seconds each.

I like to gradually heat it, by using the low setting on my gun which is about 500 degree's, then I go to the 1000 degree setting for about 15 seconds a side. I hold my gun about 2-4 inches above the board, and move in circular motions.

Personally I dont put all the effort to cover my capacitors and whatnot, most times I just reflow the GPU, there is only a few capacitors around there, and I make sure to stay away. If its your first reflow, you may want to use some foil, to be on the safe side. I've heard of using poster putty since its a very good insulator.

Anyways, just watch a youtube video, watch the way the person uses the heatgun thats about all you need to learn.
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

keep in mind that doing a xclamp
is not a long lasting fix.

the best thing you could do is give shootsteel a try
he has the equipment to do a real re-flow

have a look here.
http://www.dansmods.com/26-xbox360-XBOX ... ifications" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
tdavidson5636
Peasant
Peasant

Post by tdavidson5636 »

Tried the heat gun. Did not work because I had not noticed that when I took the clamps off I must have schrached the board good around one of the heatsync holes. If there away the repair the board?

Return to “Junk”