Twitter Feed

Let us know what you think would help the site be the best modding site on the net.
hyperdrive
Bandit
Bandit

Re: Twitter Feed

Post by hyperdrive »

I can't really see why there would be any problems with images,

I used to run a vBulletin site and a few other forums, and mod/feature installation was just a matter of try it out, if you don't like it or it doesn't work/incompatible, you just revert back.

Regarding updating to 3.0.5, as far as I've read there is no need to move the images or files & styles, you need only backup your config.php and DB files.

Small snippet from what I've read;

If you are currently using a stable release of phpBB3 updating to this version is straightforward. You would have downloaded one of four packages and your choice determines what you need to do.

Please Note: That before updating we heavily recommend you do a full backup of your database and existing phpBB3 files!

If you are unsure how to achieve this please ask your hosting provider for advice.

"First you should make a copy of your existing config.php file, keep it in a safe place! Next delete all the existing phpBB3 files, you may want to leave your files/ and images/ directory in place. You can leave alternative styles in-place too. With this complete you can upload the new phpBB3 files (see New installation for details if necessary).

Once complete copy back your saved config.php, replacing the new one. Another method is to just replace the existing files with the files from the full package - though make sure you do not overwrite your config.php file."

So from what I can see you are only needing to upgrade the php core files, the rest is untouched, unless you have some mods which would conflict then fair enough, understand you being apprehensive.

I understand that this is a "bit" of work but like the thread says, "Whats Needed"

I would put marketing/site awareness as my top priority. Twitter is a very good way of spreading the word and probably one of the most popular social networking sites around at the moment.

If you guys like I will setup an example phpBB and see how it looks, but I have seen many twitter integrated apps, that automatically post to twitter, that I use myself.

including blip.fm,

Also ooTunes for the iPhone shows what radio station you are listening to with a simple button press.

Another option is a feature that uses Email to Twitter (twittermail.com), which in essence gives you a unique email address, when emailed does the same as the auto tweeter mod.

If the admin on phpBB has the option to be notified by email when a new thread is posted, maybe using this email address instead of an admin one to email say RHPG@twittermail.com that would then in turn post the thread to twitter achieving the same outcome.

I just like the site and can see so many things that would help build up what is already an excellent site.

Anyway, I think I will just keep my ideas to myself hehe, as most of them get shot down in flames :)
_\*/*\HyperDrive/*\*/_
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

hyperdrive wrote:I think I will just keep my ideas to myself hehe, as most of them get shot down in flames
well
if i was you i would keep your ideas to your self
not because they will "get shot down in flames"
but
because you may find your self being put to work :D

its just a little busy on my end right now
im going to look more into it

im just neck deep in the river house right now
we should have it done in a week or two
there is a lot of stuff going on every day
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
hyperdrive
Bandit
Bandit

Post by hyperdrive »

Hehe I just see so many sites being advertised/promoted on Twitter nowadays.

Playing HAWX for a few hours brought that analogy to the table I think

:)
_\*/*\HyperDrive/*\*/_
rosemarie
Peasant
Peasant

Post by rosemarie »

How to stop twitter from automatically logging onto main account? I don't know if anyone else has experienced this but I have multiple accounts that I use for twitter and if I'm logged into any of my newer accounts for any length of time, it will eventually assume me logged in as my first account. So I have to log out and log back in again under the newer account. This is getting incredibly annoying. Is there a way to block twitter from assuming the original account?

Return to “Whats needed”