Video Tutorials

Let us know what you think would help the site be the best modding site on the net.
destinos
Peasant
Peasant

Video Tutorials

Post by destinos »

I know you have some great links on youtube- What is lacking on those is more easy to follow stuff especially on the Liteon drives. A "for dummies" guide- I am fairly advanced and get lost in many of the youtube vids because they don't go over everything in good detail. They assume you know a lot and skip quite a bit.
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Re: Video Tutorials

Post by CoFree »

what would you have me add to a video :?:

i have been thinking about a beginner video guide
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
destinos
Peasant
Peasant

Post by destinos »

CoFree wrote:what would you have me add to a video :?:

i have been thinking about a beginner video guide
That would be great- that would make this site take-off- and this is coming from someone with a MBA in Marketing and gets paid good money for coming up with ideas like this.

As a "noob" and someone who has searched the web quite extensively here are my suggestions:

The basic problem with the videos out there (to use specific example -flashing a Lite-on) is people "assume" that people watching these videos have a certain amount of knowledge going in- It's like someone who is taking 3rd year Advanced Calc trying to explain what they know to someone in Basic Math. I think there is also kind of a thing to be cool and use all the techie terms and be quick with the tutorial so fellow techies respect you- Keep in mind when you want to teach the basics- dummy it down-make it understandable and easy.

To be more specific on what I mean by "dumbing it down"- 1. Start off with what you need - show what you need and how you need to hook it up - like in the case of the Connectivity Kit- Basically what does this do? All the vids I see basically show people opening up drop boxes on jungle flasher and speeding through the process- that part is not big as anyone can pause the vid and repeat the steps the question is more how did they hook that up and where exactly do they do that? That info is wrongly assumed by the producer of the vid to be already known- and believe me in many cases I'm sure it's not and most people just give up. 2. Go slow - show things clearly 3. explain in laments terms what is taking place- skip some of the tech jargon and acronyms. 4. Show some patience and don't turn it into a "your a DF because you should already know that- as you have said to me in one post- "everyone was new at some point"- or something close.

I think where this site could standout from the 50 or so out there like it is to be a better teacher and a little friendlier- you already seem to have a good way about you where you don't talk down to people that don't know a lot- at least that is my experience. The old saying "keep it simple stupid" I think holds true in this case. That is NOT to say you don't have advanced tech talk and the latest cutting edge stuff as well, but I think the way you could get a growing community on here that would stay with you is to take this approach.
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

well
sadalius and i
have always did our best to keep things as down to earth as we could.

lets do this

things to include in a beginner vid

1. sata card and type
2. connectivity kit
3. at power supply
4. app you will need in your flashing
5. apps you will need in your game backing up
6. things (hardware) you will need in your backing up games
7. update the def file in iprep

ok that is a start
have i forgot anything.
just post up what i should add

that goes for anyone reading
No Questions by PM.
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

I can agree, I think when I made my videos, I pretty much followed that to some extent. But it could always be better. I'm liking CoFree's line of thinking here.
Sadalius

No questions by PM please
he-man
Merry Men
Merry Men

Post by he-man »

I found Sadalius' videos on flashing the Lite-on drives very helpfull.

All I'd like to see change in these vids (not necessarily yours) would be video and audio quality. For me there is nothing more frustrating that trying to follow a vid with bad sound and picture. Becasue, like destinos said, there are not a lot of decent vids available.

I do find this site very friendly and helpfull, with patient members willing to help us noobs out!
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

Well, in my case, I do with what I have. I know its not the best in the world, and I'm sorry for that. I try my best to help what I can.
Sadalius

No questions by PM please
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

well
i have started using a hd cam
that does great when you play in full screen.

what im after is a list of thing to cover in the video.
im going to try and go into as much detail as i can given i only have 10 min to do it.
No Questions by PM.
destinos
Peasant
Peasant

Post by destinos »

CoFree wrote:well

im going to try and go into as much detail as i can given i only have 10 min to do it.
another thing you could do is something for people with lap tops- NO ONE has anything on that- PLEASE HELP!
commando_lee
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood
Location: Up high in the tree looking out for the Sheriff of Nottingham

Post by commando_lee »

destinos wrote:
CoFree wrote:well

another thing you could do is something for people with lap tops- NO ONE has anything on that- PLEASE HELP!
ive not known any 1 flash a drive using a laptop
................................................................RobinHoods Very Own
.......................................Image
I do this for the fun and pleasure in helping people. But this is NOT my job. Post up on the boards with your question and some body will help you dont use the PM system.
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

I saw a video of a french guy flashing a drive on a laptop on youtube I believe.
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

ive seen some
and others say thay can do it

ive never been able to pull it off
and quit spending money on trying.
No Questions by PM.
yanie
Peasant
Peasant

Post by yanie »

Hi there.

I was just reading this post on a beginners guide and i thought it might be an idea to add certain drivers and .net that you require for the flashing process as these caused me the biggest problems when i started out. Hope this helps towards your beginners guide. :D
commando_lee
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood
Location: Up high in the tree looking out for the Sheriff of Nottingham

Post by commando_lee »

yanie wrote:Hi there.

I was just reading this post on a beginners guide and i thought it might be an idea to add certain drivers and .net that you require for the flashing process as these caused me the biggest problems when i started out. Hope this helps towards your beginners guide. :D

Good idea but alot off that is copyright protected, which would make things illegal to share.
................................................................RobinHoods Very Own
.......................................Image
I do this for the fun and pleasure in helping people. But this is NOT my job. Post up on the boards with your question and some body will help you dont use the PM system.
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

i think he was just talking about talking about it and going over how and what to do with them.
ill add that.
No Questions by PM.

Return to “Whats needed”