Windows XP SP3

don
Bandit
Bandit

Windows XP SP3

Post by don »

Is WIndows XP SERVICE PACK 3 any good? Whats the difference between SP3 and SP2?

Should I download SP3?

Thanks
MsK
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Re: Windows XP SP3

Post by MsK »

don wrote:Is WIndows XP SERVICE PACK 3 any good? Whats the difference between SP3 and SP2?

Should I download SP3?

Thanks
Mainly security updates & a few small performance tweaks I believe...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Windows XP Service Pack 3 Overview

Brief Description

Windows® XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) includes all previously released updates for the operating system. This update also includes a small number of new functionalities, which do not significantly change customers’ experience with the operating system. This white paper summarizes what is new in Windows XP SP3.
don
Bandit
Bandit

Post by don »

Is it worth downloading? ... I have SP2, thinking of upgrading to SP3.

Does it speed up the Internet speed?
Sesshomaru
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Post by Sesshomaru »

Depends really. AMD users have fallen victim to a bug where SP3 will constantly reboot. There have been a slew of other errors reported as well. I use XP SP3 myself with no issues. I use a custom nlite iso and it has worked flawlessly. There is a fix for the AMD bug. Aside from that, most of the changes probably aren't noticeable to the casual user. It contains all the security updates for XP to date and some added functionality. If your current XP SP2 is running sound, I probably wouldn't worry about updating. At least if you do update, make sure you have a working SP2 disc on standby in case there are any issues after installing SP3.

Return to “General information”