Backing Up Xbox 360 Games With Xbox Backup Creator

Please only 360 guide here
NeoRio
Trusted Member
Trusted Member

Backing Up Xbox 360 Games With Xbox Backup Creator

Post by NeoRio »

BACKING UP XBOX 360 GAMES WITH XBOX BACKUP CREATOR

This tutorial will teach you how to make an ISO image backup of your Xbox 360 games using Xbox Backup Creator v2.8.0.275 (or later) and a Samsung SH-D162C Kreon (FW v1.00 or later) Drive. (Other DVD drives that can be flashed with Kreon Firmware should also work find, though reputedly, the SH-D162C is the best...even considered to be better than its successor, the SH-D162D) For instructions on how to burn your ISO to a DL DVD using ImgBurn please see this guide. (The pictures used in this tutorial feature a slightly older version of Xbox Backup Creator--v2.6.)

RIPPING THE GAME
1) Make sure you don't have any DVD decrypter programs running in the background like AnyDVD, etc. Such programs running in the background can cause problems with ripping the correct ss.bin
2) Open Xbox Backup Creator

3) Select your ripping drive (in this case; SH-D162C) or any other Kreon DVD drive if you have are using something else
4) If your burner supports ASPI, select ASPI, otherwise leave the setting set to SPTI
5) Under the “Options” tab, you can select your read speed (“Set Speed”). If you have a fast computer and you are not running multiple applications simultaneously you can select a faster speed (like 12x) to do your rip if you like, however I seem to feel a little bit safer doing my rips as 4x even though I have a fast computer...I feel it gives you a safer “dump”. So my suggestion is to do your rip at 4x.
6) If you are using XBC 2.8 and above, by default the “Build SplitVid ISO” will be checked under the “Options” tab. If not, you can check the box. (If you are using Pre iXtreme firmware, you may want to disable the "SplitVid" option, as it can possibly cause coasters in some instances with Xtreme firmware. With iXtreme Firmware it makes no difference and is in fact better to leave “Build SplitVid ISO” enabled so that the entire video section of the ISO is properly ripped.

7) Place your game in the DVD drive, (It will see the small video partition of a few MB)

8) Under the “Drive Tools” tab, hit the “Unlock Drive” button, you will then see the bigger size.

9) Under the “Read” tab make sure it is set to “Complete Backup” then press the “Start” button, select the directory you want to dump the game to and enter a name.

10) When completed, you will get a 7 651 848KB ISO (or 7.29GB) or 7,651,262KB depending on the Xbox 360 game you backed up. If you use a version prior to 2.5 or if you do not activate the “SplitVid” option then the files will be 7,395,392KB or 7.05GB.
11) When your “dump” is done, you will have 2 files, the game ISO (a large file) and also a very small .dvd file which is the Layer Break. You will use the .dvd file when burning your game to disc.

Once your “dump” is done, you will want to Stealth check it before burning it to DVD

For a guide on how to burn your game ISO to a DL DVD using ImgBurn, please see this guide
Last edited by NeoRio on Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:28 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Sesshomaru
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Backing Up Xbox 360 Games With Xbox Backup Creator

Post by Sesshomaru »

I've always ripped games at 12x with no problems. However it isn't a bad idea to rip at 4x, it just may not always be necessary if you aren't running anything in the background and your setup can handle it. Also, people with Pre iXtreme firmware will want to disable the splitvid option, it can cause coasters in some instances with Xtreme firmware. With iXtreme Firmware it makes no difference and is in fact better to leave splitvid enabled so that the entire video section of the iso is properly ripped.
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

i do all my dumps at 4x to.
i also build all my iso with split-vid now.

another good guide man.
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
Sesshomaru
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Post by Sesshomaru »

I have Xtreme 5.x and have never had any issues with splitvid. I just remember when it first popped up on the scene around the release of a very well known franchise a lot of people complained about getting coasters because of splitvid. I'm not sure if they ever figured out what was causing that. I do not use splitivid, because my 360 has never been and never will be connected to Live and I have pre-iXtreme FIrmware. If I had iXtreme, I would definitely use splitvid.

Return to “Xbox360 guides go here”