Signal boosters

BobSeager
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Signal boosters

Post by BobSeager »

Has anyone come across a wifi range booster that can grab signals from unprotected wifi points and boost them? When I'm at my friends apartment I get 20 unlocked wifi spots that the iphone will attach itself too, but all very weak. Since I don't know who owns which signal, I don't have access to their comp. All the boosters I've seen need to be calibrated with the host, I need one that will 'roam' onto open networks.

Mind you I'm not looking to use this for malicious purposes nor am I looking to pilfer all their bandwidth. I just thought it'd be cool to form a walking hotspot. :)
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Re: Signal boosters

Post by sadalius »

I don't think the iphone has a place for an external antenna, but if it did, you could do a cantenna type setup. I've seen some where people took old satellite dishes and converted them for WiFi antennas. Probably won't help you with an iphone though. You might could use some sort of bridge if any of the wifi spots are setup to where something can connect straight out.
Sadalius

No questions by PM please
MsK
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Re: Signal boosters

Post by MsK »

BobSeager wrote:Has anyone come across a wifi range booster that can grab signals from unprotected wifi points and boost them? When I'm at my friends apartment I get 20 unlocked wifi spots that the iphone will attach itself too, but all very weak. Since I don't know who owns which signal, I don't have access to their comp. All the boosters I've seen need to be calibrated with the host, I need one that will 'roam' onto open networks.

Mind you I'm not looking to use this for malicious purposes nor am I looking to pilfer all their bandwidth. I just thought it'd be cool to form a walking hotspot. :)
ultimatly it depends on the networks you are latching onto - if they are poorly configured home based routers that do not use an encryption key! (the encryptions can be broke anyway) then you can bet your bottom doller the standard login username/password has not been changed either :o

For this reason it's highly possible to login to the router & configure it for your own needs - that's all I am going to say ;)

I don't use wireless... it's too simple to break in :D

Return to “General information”