ntfs to fat32 in windows vista

parminder
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

ntfs to fat32 in windows vista

Post by parminder »

hey guys i have a hard drive which is ntfs but i need to covert this to fat32 is this possible and how would i go on about changing to fat32 in vista
flashed 16 benQ, 8 Sams25, 3 sam28, 2 hit 0059dj, 2 0047dh 3 0047dj, still stuck on 0078fk, failed 0047dj hardware

sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Re: ntfs to fat32 in windows vista

Post by sadalius »

As far as I know, you can't convert from NTFS to FAT32. You can only convert from FAT32 to NTFS. You would have to fdisk or format the drive with FAT32 to get it into that file system. There maybe a way to do it with Partition Magic, but I haven't used Partition Magic in quite some time. It may be worth it to look into if your looking to save a fdisk or format and re-install the OS.
Sadalius

No questions by PM please
parminder
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by parminder »

well what ive tried to do was delete the partition using this xp disk and when it comes to formatting it just says format using ntfs and i cant seem to get fat32. i dont have windows 98 or me or a floppy drive to even start a startup disk whcih is a problem. ill look into it and see what gwans.
thanks
flashed 16 benQ, 8 Sams25, 3 sam28, 2 hit 0059dj, 2 0047dh 3 0047dj, still stuck on 0078fk, failed 0047dj hardware

sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

You might connect the drive as a slave on an XP or vista system and use disk management to format it with fat32. I've done that many times so it should work for you too.
Sadalius

MsK
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by MsK »

yep.. u will have trouble in vista! partition magic is not compatible either!!

outiside of floppy & CDROM booting - u have the option to create a usb flash boot drive with 98 startup & systems files which include FDISK / then delete the partition & repartition as FAT32.. then format ;)

surely you have at least 1 of the 3 options?? afterall you have flashed your xbox....

The hp disk format tool will come in useful here & if u need the 98 startup pm me & i'll put u the right direction ;)
parminder
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by parminder »

yep thats what i used to do back in the days. i used to use a floppy drive with a 98 or me startup disk, fdisk delete recreate and format with fat32 as i needed 2 partitions on the same drive. done that many times but the problem now is that i dont hav a floppy drive and i mite just try it with the usb. if the startup works on usb then there shouldnt b a problem. let me see if i could give it a go. i alos found the windows 98 disk but no go asswell. let me see what i can dig up and will return.
cheers

parminder
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by parminder »

hey msk got the hp tools and the 98 startup, made the boot usb. restarted the system loaded through usb and it comes up under win 98. and c:> when i do dir it shows my usb contents. any way to find out what hard drive letter is it.

sadalius i was also thinking your way but when i saw myy drive i just found out that there were no jumper the pins are barren on both the drives so there is no way to put one as primary or slave, unless i know how to do it through the system.

hey cofree i just realised that you arent replying to any of my questions and you used to be the first one to post. sorry again if you still feeling bad about the comment i left about the fight.

sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

I think CoFree is just a tad busy as of late.

If you can get to dos then you should be able to fdisk that drive. You might have to experiment a little to figure out the letter of the drive. Typically, 98 creates a ram drive which should be the D drive. At the prompt, start with E and work your way up. Just hit E: and enter, don't forget the colon. Then do a DIR, keep doing this until you find the drive that your looking for. Then you can fdisk it.

For the way I talked about to work, you would have to be able to set the drive to slave or cable select. I don't know what kind of drives your working with to know the jumper settings. Some brands, jumperless is stand alone, for others its cable select.
Sadalius

MsK
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by MsK »

best way to do it is to disconnect all good drives & leave the drive you want to convert plugged up...

boot off the startup device & run the command : fdisk
This will only list the hd available for partitioning ;) then u can do your work.. just follow the on screen prompts

(possibly it will list the usb device also... I have never tried this from a usb so not 100% certain - but u should be able to determine which is which by bytes/size:))
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

parminder wrote:hey cofree i just realised that you arent replying to any of my questions and you used to be the first one to post. sorry again if you still feeling bad about the comment i left about the fight.

no man its all good. :D
its just the other guys are better at computer stuff than i am.
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
Sesshomaru
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Post by Sesshomaru »

If you haven't successfully done it so far, you can always try Gnome Partition Editor, better known as G-parted. You can download a bootable iso which will allow you to format to just any about any known file system. Get it here: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=271779" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It should be easy to delete the NTFS partition and format it from RAW to FAT32 with G-parted. Just burn the iso to cd and boot off disc to access G-parted.
parminder
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by parminder »

hey man welcome back, i still havent formatted the drive yet as i got busy. will try your way and see if it works out.
thanks

Return to “General information”