Encryption

BobSeager
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Encryption

Post by BobSeager »

Hey,

Let me preface this by saying I am only trying to disguise the fact that I like playing portable Diablo II at work (not online tho) ;)

If I encrypt a USB drive can it be accessed by a network audit? I don't know if that's enough information to go on but, knowing they won't try to bypass encryption or the like, I'm wondering if it's safe to assume that since we're not allowed to store files on our PC's, in the event of an audit would this be a route to go?

Perhaps there is a way to hide or mask a drive instead of encrypting it? I may partition the drive and create a dummy drive that has nothing on it, and the real one would be encrypted. I don't really care if they see a drive connected and they try and access it and they can't, but I'd rather nobody know. :?

Thanks as always!
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Re: Encryption

Post by CoFree »

hmmm
sounds like trouble to me. :?

if you lock a flash drive they will see it as a dead end if they start looking around.that, i would think would draw unwanted attention.
i know i would not be messing with the HD.you can bet they can/will know about that and want to know what the hell is going own.

but
keep in mind i am not the computer guy,to say the least.
wait for sadalius or msk to have a look at your thread. ;)
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

It depends on how good your IT dept. is. Where I work at, in my department, I can see everything thats attached to each computer. An encrypted thumb drive shows up as a drive that isn't normally connected and sets an alert. I then look at the log and see the extra drive and then go pay a personal visit to that work station to find out whats going on. Now that setup was quite expensive, and not every company goes that far. Whether or not your company does, I can't say. But the question would be is would you want to take the chance?
Sadalius

No questions by PM please
BobSeager
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by BobSeager »

Don't take this the wrong way, but I hope you're never our IT guy ;)

I guess when in doubt err on the side of safety, eh?

Thanks!
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

BobSeager wrote:I hope you're never our IT guy
your to late
he is our "IT" guy.
:lol: :lol:
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.