Wii Drive Database

BobSeager
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Wii Drive Database

Post by BobSeager »

If you're thinking of buying a new wii with the intention of modding it, you may find this useful. It will allow you to better estimate which model of wii you will get if you go out and buy one. Note that newer models are shipping with the nasty black epoxy which covers the motherboard. This covers the legs that are used by most if not all current generation chips. This is also not the epoxy microsoft is using on xboxes. This stuff won't heat up and become soft/removable in the same fashion. The solderless flatmii is coming soon, and I think it connects over the dvd drive ribbon so these new measures shouldn't affect it.

http://www.wiidrives.com/list" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Re: Wii Drive Database

Post by sadalius »

The flatmii sounds like a viable option. It streams the iso's from your computer. And there are two ways to connect it up. To add to what BobSeager posted and provide a little more info,

The stand alone way, which is where you connect the DVD drives ribbon cable to the chip and don't connect the other ribbon cable to the dvd drive. The advantage is if your DVD drive is busted, you don't have to buy a new DVD drive to fix it. The downside, you have to have every game you own on your computer taking up space.

The dual method. This is where the DVD drives ribbon cable is connected to the chip and then another ribbon cable is connected from the chip to the DVD drive. The upside, you get the best of both worlds, stream ISO's from your computer to your Wii and play regular disks. I don't think it will play backups though, but I'm not real sure. The downside would be if the flatmii wouldn't be able to play backups.
Sadalius

No questions by PM please
BobSeager
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Re: Wii Drive Database

Post by BobSeager »

mmmmm yeah I missed that, you're right. The authors state it won't load backup cds. If only I had kept them on a hard drive :roll:

My wii drive sounds like complete ass

Although it is quieter with some discs than others. With Mario Kart it may as well be a blender.

Return to “General information”