Wiikey investigation

sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Wiikey investigation

Post by sadalius »

Hopefully tomorrow, I'll be able to start a project involving the Wii. I've read many a report regarding Wii owners that have the Wiikey installed that have updated to the "Beta Hotfix" 1.9g firmware for that chip. Basically, these reports come in a little bit of a variation. One report says that they were able to update just fine with no problems and all of a sudden out of the blue, they loose the ability to play backups. Originals work ok, just the backups. Another report says that the update didn't work straight out and I have read reports of not being able to play anything after updating to 1.9g.

I intend to find out what I can about these reports and post what I find here. I'll be making several posts as I find things out so I won't forget anything that I've done and once I'm done I'll edit the posts and compile it into one single post to make it easier to read.
Sadalius

No questions by PM please
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Re: Wiikey investigation

Post by sadalius »

OK, unfortunately my investigation did not last very long. I received the Wii in question today. First, I checked the Wii out to see what firmware it was running. It was running 3.0U. I set the Wii up on my wireless network and updated it to 3.1U, then turned Wiiconnect24 off as well as remove the internet settings. Then I tried running the Wiikey 1.3 non-GCOS config disk. It wouldn't boot without an error. Then I tried the 1.2 GCOS disk that I had downloaded from the Wiinewz.com Wiikey forum. It booted up and I turned on the region free setting and exited. Then I tried the super galaxy mario game. Error 001: Unauthorized device detected. Turned off the Wii and uplugged it and let it set a few minutes then turned it back on and ejected the SMG disk. Then I inserted the Wiikey 1.9g update disk. It was able to boot, verify and update, I even heard homer simpson say "Your nuts" or something like that. It asked me to shut down the system, so I did. Gave it a few minutes, started it up, put in super mario galaxy and it booted straight away with no problems. Then I tried a few other backups. Rayman Raving Rabbids 2, Super Paper Mario, and Zelda Twighlight Princess, all booted with no problem.

I suppose thus ends my investigation due to the lack of any problems at the time being. I've read reports that say their Wii's stoped reading disks abruptly and if it does, I'll report back with any findings that I may have.
Sadalius

CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

good work
I'll be following it to the letter you can bet.
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

well i trying to update my wiikey
im going to do it just like you did .the only thing different is im using the v1.3 disc.
No Questions by PM.
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

Just for clarification, I said I used the 1.2 conig disk, it wasn't. It was the 1.3 config, but it was on the GCOS version of the previous 1.2 version, just had the 1.3 data when you run it. You do need a game cube controller to use it though, but the USA version is here: http://www.teambadattitude.co.uk/Wii/Wi ... ig-USA.zip

already pre-padded and all that good jazz, just burn and run.

So far, everything continues to work like it's supposed to. Been up and running all my other backups as well as SMG since this past Wednesday. It's only been two days, so I'll be keeping a close eye for any weirdness.
Sadalius

CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

same thing 1.3--1.2 disc

region free on
wiiconnect24 off
reset internet settings
installed v1.9g got your nuts(thats one nice back side) :D
everything seemed to go fine
put in backup of cars good
tried SMG it will start and it will say SMG with the little stars and all but as soon as you hit start it says cant find disc or read disc something like that.
making a new backup now.the first one was on cheap disc.
this one going on ver at 1x speed.
ill let you know.

im going to do this on a different wii and see what happens.

i got farther this time at least it will boot other game after the 1.9g update.
No Questions by PM.
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

got it

i had backed that up on a cheap disc

the verba disc at 1x speed plays fine
ive got 2 more wii to do

I'll keep everyone up to date on my wii working also.

thanks
Sadalius

i dont know what i did different the first time.
the only thing i did not do was turn off the wiiconnect24.
you think that could be some of the trouble people are having.
No Questions by PM.
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

It could be. Although, I don't exactly know how that could cause a problem. But then again, I don't fully know what turning on wiiconnect24 does except for keep an open connection to Nintendo.

Anywho, I'm glad you got yours going cofree. I'm sure your little one will like SMG, I know mine loves it. Also, thanks for your help with this man, without it, I would probably have never been able to see my daughter play SMG.
Sadalius

CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

man
that is not a problem at all. :D Glad i could help

Just to update i'm 2 for 2 now the 2nd wii did fine it was one of the strong wii.like the one you got.
the thing will have the game booted before you can blink a eye.unlike mine it take for every click,click,click then it will read.
anyway got 1 more to do at the house.
ill let you know how it goes

also man let keep a good eye on them
if anything happens post strait away.
No Questions by PM.
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

cool
3 for 3
The wii in the house went fine.
just ti let you guys know.
No Questions by PM.
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

For anyone that might be following this thread:

The Wii that I've been working with on this is still going strong. It has not faltered on any of the backups that I've fed it. It continues to play them just like it was meant to. I can't say for sure what the problem maybe that other people has had problems with, but so far (knock on wood), I've not had a spec of trouble with this wiikey.
Sadalius

CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

mine has been going great also.
my daughter plays crash non-stop
No Questions by PM.
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

I still have had no adverse effects. I think what alot of people are seeing is some sort of manufacturing problem with their wiikeys. I say that because I've read where some people have changed a resistor on the wiikey and be able to update it. While others that seem to have updated properly and it bugger out have replaced those with new ones and solve the problem Also more adventurous types have reported that reprogramming the chip with an external programmer fixed theirs. So I think it has something to do with the chip in that circumstance, not all chips, just certain ones.
Sadalius

Return to “General information”