Thinking about a PS3

A place to hang out with the other members of Robinhoods Playground.com
Got a joke or a story let us hear it.
stick person
Bandit
Bandit

Thinking about a PS3

Post by stick person »

Hellooo everybody. I want to start off by saying I don't want this to be a 360 vs PS3 thread, not at all. I have a 360 and I'm happy with it, but recently I've been thinking about getting a PS3. Why?

1) Media syncing. I could spend $100 for the wireless adapter, but I hear that the PS3 is really good for media. Opinions?
2) PS3 exclusives.
3) Blueray/DVD upscaling
4) Games are/can be in 1080p (read that somewhere)
5) PSN is free
6) The console itself seems to be pretty durable, then again so are the new 360s (no RRoD)

However, there are some things that are keeping me from buying it.

1) $300 is kind of a lot of money
2) No custom FW yet
3) No linux on PS3 slim
4) Games are more expensive if anything
5) I have an HDTV, but it's only 22".
6) I hear PSN is not as good as Live.
7) Not sure if PS3 is any better/worse in the graphics department

For those of you that have/have played both systems, what are your pros/cons of each?

HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Re: Thinking about a PS3

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

You kind of did a pretty good pro's vs cons thing there.
stick person wrote: 2) No custom FW yet
Wouldn't hold my breath on that.

Graphics on both systems are pretty close, especially on a 22' TV, you wont notice the difference, you probably wont even notice the difference between the 360's av cables & hdmi.

Live is better than PSN, but PSN is free.

No linux on slim does suck, I was thinking of buying a lightly used fat simply for linux ;)

I'd say both console's are pretty durable, jasper 360's are quite good, and the ps3 has always had a low failure rate. I dont know the warranty on a PS3, but a 360's is 3 years so your console will last at least 3 years.

Blu ray is a very good thing, my parents want a blue ray player, and I keep telling them to buy a ps3 ;)

PS3 exclusives aren't a big thing in my book, ps3 games are not really my cup of tea, but if you enjoy ps3 games more then 360 games, thats a major advantage ps3 has.

Seems to me you want wifi, so think of it this way, a 360 is $100 cheaper, but the wireless adapter is like $89.99, and the ps3 has built in wifi, plus its a blu ray player.
technoe
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by technoe »

I think the PS3 exclusive titles are definitely a heavy part of that list. To me games like Resistance, and Metal Gear are worth the money. And like haggard said, with a built in wifi adapter and blu-ray capabilities $300 is not a lot of money.
Today Money, Tomorrow the WORLD!!
stick person
Bandit
Bandit

Post by stick person »

Is there a way to backup Blueray movies with it?

technoe
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by technoe »

Not that I'm aware of. Maybe running linux with one of the fat ps3's you might be able to.
stick person
Bandit
Bandit

Post by stick person »

I think I'm gonna stick with my 360 for now. I talked to some people who use PS3 Media Server to stream movies to their 360s. Apparently the 360 can play 1080p movies this way. If that's true I don't really need a bluray player. They also said if I'm going to stream media I might as well just have a wired connection. So for now I think I'll stick with the 360 and mess around with some of that stuff this weekend.

who_be_dat
Bandit
Bandit

Post by who_be_dat »

If you thinking about the longevity of your gaming hobby, you will eventually get a PS3.
technoe
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by technoe »

Why do you say that? I think the 360 will be around just as long as the PS3 if not longer. M$ has already stated that they are in no way thinking about a replacement just yet. I think it'll be several years before the 720 or whatever is released.
who_be_dat
Bandit
Bandit

Post by who_be_dat »

I agree wit you the 360 still has a few years left, I'm just looking at the fact that out of all the last gen consoles the ps2 had the most potential and had the longest lifespan. Thats why they continued to develope software for the ps2. History will repeat itself.
technoe
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by technoe »

But you have to remember a lot of developers dropped their contracts with sony because of undelivered sales. Sony really dropped the ball on pricing the PS3 out of range upon its release. Activision went head to head with Sony and forced them to finally drop the price or they too would stop producing games for the PS3. This did not happen on the PS2. And the 700 dollar price tag was the exact reason games were still published for the PS2.
who_be_dat
Bandit
Bandit

Post by who_be_dat »

Alot of developer found the new development kit very difficult and were novice at the coding process, thats way alot of developers strayed away from the ps3. I agree with you on original price of ps3 is was crazy, but ps3 is a better build.
I like the 360 alot, but the 360 was expensive at release and had alot of problems. The ps3 has more potential, the 360 has the modding aspect. They both have there pros and cons.

Return to “The Forest”