I have two broken 360's - Trying to get one working

The place to ask your questions about the Xbox 360
Justin
Peasant
Peasant

I have two broken 360's - Trying to get one working

Post by Justin »

Making a long story short, my modded 360 got the red rings of death so I got myself a new Xbox 360 and I've kept it unmodded and bought a ton of games for it...

I decided one day to try to fix my RROD 360, which was successful...
My friend also got RROD so I fixed his as well...

Both of ours got RROD on the same day, again. I'm debating on just re-attempting the RROD fix, but I want guaranteed results. I've looked into other thermal compounds... but Artic silver 5 is the only one that I can find here in NJ.

Here are the parts I currently have (including my friends 360, and excluding my unmodded/new 360)

1. Modded Xbox 360 with RROD - Weak DVD drive laser
2. Unmodded 360 with a broken dvd drive (discs wont spin?) - works absolutely fine other than that it won't read discs.
3. My friends unmodded 360 with RROD (his DVD drive works fine).

I'm thinking my best bet is to take my friends 360, pull the dvd drive, swap dvd drives with the one that is broken. I understand the drive is locked to the motherboard (DVD Key). My question is, is it possible to replace certain parts of the drive without switching the entire unit?

Thanks in advance, everyone.
commando_lee
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood
Location: Up high in the tree looking out for the Sheriff of Nottingham

Re: I have two broken 360's - Trying to get one working

Post by commando_lee »

Justin wrote:
Here are the parts I currently have (including my friends 360, and excluding my unmodded/new 360)

1. Modded Xbox 360 with RROD - Weak DVD drive laser
2. Unmodded 360 with a broken dvd drive (discs wont spin?) - works absolutely fine other than that it won't read discs.
3. My friends unmodded 360 with RROD (his DVD drive works fine).

Thanks in advance, everyone.
You can attempt to dump the key from the drive that wont spin games and then flash the information onto a drive that works.
Justin wrote:
I'm thinking my best bet is to take my friends 360, pull the dvd drive, swap dvd drives with the one that is broken. I understand the drive is locked to the motherboard (DVD Key). My question is, is it possible to replace certain parts of the drive without switching the entire unit?

You can just change the faulty part in the drive which possibly could be the motor.
................................................................RobinHoods Very Own
.......................................Image
I do this for the fun and pleasure in helping people. But this is NOT my job. Post up on the boards with your question and some body will help you dont use the PM system.
Justin
Peasant
Peasant

Re: I have two broken 360's - Trying to get one working

Post by Justin »

Thanks for the reply. You might call me a coward but I decided to sell all of the 360s. Bought my new one and guess what... it is somewhat faulty. I'll probably give microsoft a call, i can't have this system giving me dirty disc errors (along with the infamous insert this disc in an xbox 360 message) for no reason.

:ugeek: Peace.

Return to “Beginners”