PS3 GAME UPDATES

ebtank
Possible Ally of Robinhood

PS3 GAME UPDATES

Post by ebtank »

Anybody who has backed up a ps3 game already knows that there is 3 files and one of them is called PS3_update inside of that folder is a ps3 update.pup witch is the same file to manually update your ps3, I havent seen anybody talking about this and I have only had my ps3 for 2 weeks so I am assuming that this will update your ps3 to whatever firmware version is on the disk, So my question is does this update in fact update your firmware ? I have tested it out and removed the update.pup from the games and they still work fine I tried this on games that my system has never played. Am I right here or is this a waste of time ? I have been on many sites and none of them are talking about removing the update.pup from your games because in time if this updates your firmware then 3.42 will be on new games
louisM92
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Re: PS3 GAME UPDATES

Post by louisM92 »

interesting buddy, test that out on a few other games, if they still work without the update file then thats great, wouldnt wanna update now would you :P
Need your drive flashed? PM me to sort something out ;)
OR email me at louismoylan@live.co.uk
Flashing in the UK
Also do drive replacements :)
ebtank

Post by ebtank »

well I answerd part of my own question the games do update your firmware this came right from playstation http://us.playstation.com/support/syste ... /index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; So if your firmware is lower than the games update it will prompt you to update. So you must have a choice cause you have to select yes to update,,,,,, but if you chose no can you still play the game? If there is anyone out there that has a firmware less than 3.41 and has played the newest games they would have ran into this, if you have please tell. But so far I have removed the update.pup file out of the update folder not the folder itself on 4 diffrent games all that my system has never played cause just in case once you have created a game save it might not check for the update.pup anymore and they still work.
xtremeflasher
Bandit
Bandit

Post by xtremeflasher »

From what i can tell, The update is for the games online play. If you look at the ps3 game compatibility list, it states that its for online. I have had issues with getting an error code after the update tries to install. Like you, i decided to remove the update folder and the games will play fine. I have used my PS3 to browse the internet and i haven't been prompted to update the firmware although in the upper right corner it states that there is a required update.

Return to “General information”