Orange Ring! what is going on?

Anything 360 that don"t have is own tread
chris.redfield
Bandit
Bandit

Orange Ring! what is going on?

Post by chris.redfield »

Hey everyone,

I am at a bit of a cross roads here with my issue. I just finished modding a console case to allow for a case fan to be mounted to the side for some extra air flow. Nothing was do to the console itself, aside from a long ago flash. Today during a LAN based Reach game, I get a solid orange ring during match. I am a little nervous thus I turn the console off via the power button and wait a moment. I take notice that there was a pair of jeans laying atop the power supply and after further investigation the power supply was a little hot. I assumed it may have had something to do with this so I swap out the power supply before continuing and to my surprise the console turns on but the normal LED start up green ring is gone. I wait a moment and my controller picks up that it is controller one but the LED display of the console is still off. I turn off, repeat with a open drive and still the LED is not responding. I swapped back to the original power supply and still same issue. The console loads up and plays the title but the LED is gone. My fear is that something may have burnt out and may affect the entire console.

If anyone has any clue as to what is going on please post.

Thanks again everyone and have a great weekend.

Redfield out...
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Re: Orange Ring! what is going on?

Post by CoFree »

ive never run across that man
if it still plays then im not sure i would worry about it
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
chris.redfield
Bandit
Bandit

Post by chris.redfield »

Alright so here is the scoop. The orientation switch that the console uses to orient horizontal or vertical position for LED configuration, seems to have come loose due to there being an excessive amount of ratteling from the switch. We all know that we have heard the switch when we open up a console and it seems that this has come loose and caused for the console to not recognize what its orientation is.
Bellow is a list of trouble shooting I went through:

1) Wireless controller to try and power on the console: This did not work until I physically powered it on and then scanned for a signal. After holding the dashboard key and shutting down the unit did respond but kept the controller on.

2) Connected a wired controller and powered on the system. I did this to check if the usb in the front had died thus signifying some kind of short but if worked fine.

3) Opened the console, disconnected the drive and moved it from the horizontal position to the vertical position. I also looked for any signs of circuit burns or odd smells but there were none. I noted an excessive amount of noise from the ball switch and after letting it settle I reconnected power and the LED's came back on.

The console continues to work but I believe this switch issue may be resolved if I knew a little more about where it is located (aside from being in the front left of the console) and how to access this switch to possibly replace it.

If anyone has any info over the matter I would great appreciate it. Thank you Cofree for you reply, I look forward to your response over a copied version of this message. (not trying to be a pain just being redundant).
chris.redfield
Bandit
Bandit

Post by chris.redfield »

So after turning the console this way and that way, the LED's worked fine, but a new issue happened. After shutting down via the dashboard the console would repeatedly turn itself back on, almost working in a loop. After removing the face plate I noticed that the power switch was not responding and I then used a small piece of plastic to depress it. Finally it did click and turn off, which points this whole ordeal in a big confusing circle. The console is working just fine now and will be ran through a reach test asap.

Hopefully if this issue of a solid orange ring shows up for someone, they can find some ray of hope to know that they are not alone. Now as for the final outcome, we will just have to wait.

Redfield out...
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

The orientation issue has happened to me a couple times on a 100% untouched console. The LED would flip from player 1 to player 2 (as if I were switching the orientation)

The orange ring as far as I know is a power issue. Happens if your brick dies or overheats, ive heard of some people getting it during a lightning storm.

TBH, as long as your console functions i'd say just play it. Might as well use it until it blows up ;)

Lots of times there will be one problem with the console and it will manifest itself as 100 other minor problems. Enough to drive a guy crazy...
chris.redfield
Bandit
Bandit

Post by chris.redfield »

I know all to well by what you mean crazy. Heck the reason why I broke out the dremel was because of reoccurring visions just before bed of different methods to use in heat reduction. I believe the power brick may have flopped which leads me in need of acquiring a new one but that is for another day and another pay check. Thanks again to everyone and have a great rest of your week.

Redfield out...

Return to “General information”