fans going mad

shaky
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

fans going mad

Post by shaky »

just fixed a ps3 for ylod now when i turn it on it is ok for about 10 minutes then the fans go mad then it shuts off , any ideas guys i would be very gratefull
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Re: fans going mad

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

There is a temp censor that monitors the CPU and GPU temp's and as the temp's rise it will turn up the fan speed.

The 360 is like this, so are lots of computers.

So the only thing I can think of is there is an issue with your heatsink, maybe you used to little paste, maybe too much, maybe its not installed right.
shaky
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Post by shaky »

thanks mate that is interesting i put the same amount on as always then spread it over the cpu evenly this is the first time it as hapened , the only thing different is that i used arctic silver 5 thermal compound this time i used to use servisol
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

That could be it, ive never heard of that brand, so its likely low quality, I guarantee its lower quality than AS 5, seeing as there is only a few pastes better than AS5.
shaky
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Post by shaky »

what brand do you recomend then my friend to use on ps3, on this one i have used it says as5 on it
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

Well AS 5 is kind of the standard.

Arctic Silver 5 is has 99% pure silver in it, and silver is an awesome conductor of heat. There are a couple pastes like TX-3 and TX-4 made by tuniq which transfer heat better than AS 5.

Anyhow, if you've used Arctic Silver 5 on this ps3, and the fan's are kicking up like this, the paste shouldnt be the problem.
shaky
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Post by shaky »

cheers bud my friend said he as put it by the window now with more room and it seems to be ok , strange

Return to “General information”