Help unflashing my Samsung MS28 drive 1.4

The place to ask your questions about the Xbox 360
Bren
Peasant
Peasant

Help unflashing my Samsung MS28 drive 1.4

Post by Bren »

Hi, I followed a nice tutorial video from here to flash my MS28 drive to fw 1.4. This was the tutorial viewtopic.php?f=195&t=401" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would imagine this is an old firmware now. I want to unflash it then reflash with the latest fw. I backed up everything, the orig.bin file etc. I used iprep 101 to flash the drive I think. Can someone please kindly point me in the right direction for a tutorial on unflashing this drive.

I remember using an onboard sata port, and latest iprep at the time wouldn't recognised my onboard sata port thats why I never got round to upgrading the fw to the latest ones. Not sure if the latest iprep will recognise my sata port now though but I think I just want to unflash to start over again and research on updating to the latest fw or getting someone else to do it down my end.

Thanks
Shootsteel
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Re: Help unflashing my Samsung MS28 drive 1.4

Post by Shootsteel »

No worries man you do not have to "unflash it" just flash it as you would normally with the new iPrep and all should be right in your world.

Need more let us know.
dalecheesy
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by dalecheesy »

If iprep still doesn't recognise your ports you can either invest in a via 6421 card (cheap enough) or try jungleflasher
Bren
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Bren »

Thanks guys, I'm currently trying iprep, everything seems fine untill when it asks if I want to resend untill the drive responds to mtk, I enter yes and hit enter then power down my drive then on then nothing happens. I'm not using a connectivity kit like in the video i just use a little screw to push in the front on and off button on the 360, I've tried loads of times with different time gaps and still nothing.

Glad you mentioned jungleflasher, I'll try that instead.

Have people been successfull in flashing the drive without a connectivity kit to powr on and off the drive?
dalecheesy
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by dalecheesy »

Yeah but it's not really recommended as there is some debate on wether microsoft can tell if the consoles been powered up without the drive attached through the sata but loads of people have used this technique so i wouldn't worry. Which version of iprep are you using?? You will also have to disconnect all other sata drives and maybe all the ide drives to stop it getting confused attached to your motherboard
Bren
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Bren »

I didn't try with the drive half open, I noticed that in the jungleflasher tutorial but no the iprep one.

Also I have a VIA VT641A PCI card I bought awhile back in hope iprep would detect but it didn't. The PCI card never came with drivers and the ones I got on the internet didn't seemed to work properly.
dalecheesy
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by dalecheesy »

Try getting them from Via itself. 2 mins i'll find the link

Edit: tekgems has the 5.8s available on their website (bout half way down) : http://tekgems.com/Products/la-pci22-vt6421a.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and use the internal primary port on the card (the one nearest the front of the tower then remake your iprep stick with the correct via port showing and boot it up again. Fingers crossed
Bren
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Bren »

Excellent, thanks alot.

This is the option I used on an old iprep 101 which worked when I flashed my drive to 1.2 and 1.4

These are the other options I have

After I install the drivers you provided iprep now finds a Sil 3112a pci card. Its strange because on the box for my pci card it says it’s a VIA VT6421A card. (The chip on the card actually says Sil 3112a to)

And this is what everything looks like in device manager, all seem to be installed correctly etc.

I don’t get very far with jungle flasher, when I follow the video tutorial and launch the program I first get a message of “No comports were found” I get this message with or without the pci card I just installed. Then it will say “failed stage 1” when I try and search for the drive in jungle flasher.

Also with the Sil 3112a card installed, when I boot iprep from my usb flash drive and then turn on my 360 I get a message of “an internal STACKS overflow has caused this session to be halted, change the STACKS settings in your CONFIG.SYS file and then try again” I got this same message months ago when I tried to update the firmware from 1.4.

Also whats the trick to turn the 360 on & off quick without a connectivity kit? It seems random to me, and even more awkward when trying to keep the drive half open because the 360 is trying to pull it in or push it out everytime I turn on or off the 360, sometimes the light will flash green for like 5 seconds.
dalecheesy
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by dalecheesy »

Oooh you were robbed if the advertiser said it was a 6421 card. Not sure if iprep likes the sil chipset one you have. Disconnect everything else connected to your motherboard and try again (ide and sata). Failing that try and order the via 6421 card as they're nigh on guaranteed to work with iprep. The missing comport in jungle would only be relevant if you were doing a liteon. Those drivers i linked wouldn't work with the card you have as its for a different chipset manufacturer so it might also be worth hunting down an updated driver for your sil 3112 card and giving jungle another whirl.
Bren
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Bren »

Thanks man, successfully flashed my drive. I bought a 6421 card and disconnected everything from the motherboard and the flash worked flawlessly first time. :)
dalecheesy
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by dalecheesy »

Great job bren. good work.
samlauncher
Peasant
Peasant

Post by samlauncher »

great information i ever got....