Microsoft Points to be Phased Out Through 2012

Have a read and let us know what you think.
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

by: Tiffany Kaiser
Microsoft developers will have to prepare for upcoming changes

Microsoft is reportedly planning on ditching its virtual currency system, Microsoft Points, over the coming year.

Microsoft Points are the currency currently used for PC, Windows Phone, the Xbox Live Marketplace, Games for Windows Live Marketplace, Zune Online Store, and Windows Live Gallery. The points are used to purchase content without a credit card with the intention of decreasing small credit card transaction fees for Microsoft.

Now, Microsoft will work throughout 2012 to phase out the use of Microsoft Points and transition to real money instead. Microsoft hasn't made the official announcement yet, and refused to comment on the rumor.

However, Windows Phone, Xbox Live and Zune Marketplace developers with Microsoft publishing agreements are being warned to work with the upcoming change. They will have to create new plans for their latest downloadable content and in-app purchases.

The move isn't all that surprising, considering Microsoft has been sneaking cash purchases into Xbox Live. The elimination of Microsoft Points will likely appeal to customers who will no longer have to worry about Points-to-cash conversions.

Microsoft took a big hit last March when scammers found a way to generate new Microsoft Points out of old point codes. Microsoft was scammed out of $1.2 million and was forced to pull the plug on the site.
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Re: Microsoft Points to be Phased Out Through 2012

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

Good, I'm tired of being forced to buy 2,000 points with my credit card and am left over with like 300 points that are useless because nothing is under 400.

I'm willing to bet they will probably offer gift cards, but maybe not if they want to eliminate point/cash balances from accounts.

Return to “Front Page News”