SATA Port Help

julio1583
Bandit
Bandit

SATA Port Help

Post by julio1583 »

Hello,

I need some help with my SATA ports. I have a motherboard with 2 onboard SATA ports. I know this because both my DL Drive and my HD are connected to them. I know they work fine. I have modded a Hitachi with it via SLAX disc and when in mode B it was seen in the computer. When I tried to mod an MS-28 I tried to creat a boot disc with MTKFlash and it advised me that it is not abel to create disc or that it is not compatible. I dont understand. Now I have a BenQ to Mod and I saw n the tutorials that I need to have the SATA card. Is there something worng with my ports or do I need to upgrade the drivers? I not completly new to the hardware side. But I am out of Ideas. I will buy a SATA card if needed but I have the SATA ports onboard. Any ideas? Any help is appreciated.
MsK
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Re: SATA Port Help

Post by MsK »

julio1583 wrote:Hello,

I need some help with my SATA ports. I have a motherboard with 2 onboard SATA ports. I know this because both my DL Drive and my HD are connected to them. I know they work fine. I have modded a Hitachi with it via SLAX disc and when in mode B it was seen in the computer. When I tried to mod an MS-28 I tried to creat a boot disc with MTKFlash and it advised me that it is not abel to create disc or that it is not compatible. I dont understand. Now I have a BenQ to Mod and I saw n the tutorials that I need to have the SATA card. Is there something worng with my ports or do I need to upgrade the drivers? I not completly new to the hardware side. But I am out of Ideas. I will buy a SATA card if needed but I have the SATA ports onboard. Any ideas? Any help is appreciated.

The via6421 is the best option for guaranteed compatability ;)

What motherboard do you have ??
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

the v25/v28 and benq are very picky about the chipset that it will work with.
getting this card for the sam and benq is this one.
http://tekgems.com/Products/la-pci22-vt6421a.htm
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
julio1583
Bandit
Bandit

Post by julio1583 »

Hello,

Thank you. I have decided not to waiste anymore time. I have 360's to MOD. Anyway... I bought this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... Y.m238.lVI

Is this compatible? If so can I use the external SATA port so I dont have to open the computer after all other SATA devices are disconnected?
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

most of the time the hot port you will need will be the one closest to the front of the computer.
on the inside if the computer.
from the look of it it will be the port on the end of the card inside the computer
No Questions by PM.
MsK
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by MsK »

julio1583 wrote:Hello,

Thank you. I have decided not to waiste anymore time. I have 360's to MOD. Anyway... I bought this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... Y.m238.lVI

Is this compatible? If so can I use the external SATA port so I dont have to open the computer after all other SATA devices are disconnected?

card looks ok - it has the via6421 chipset ;)
but the port you need to access will most likely be the internal port the at end of the card.

If you want to install it & not have to open the case again you are going to need a long sata cable & then run it back out of the case enclosure through another unused slot.
julio1583
Bandit
Bandit

Post by julio1583 »

Thats cool. I dont mind opening the PC. I have to do it anyway to disconnect the other SATA ports so I dont accidently flash them. hehe :D
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

in case you try this witha long sata cable i have heard that some people have a bad time with a long sata cable till they put on a short cable.
i use a 3' sata cable so i dont have to open the case and never had any trouble. ;)
No Questions by PM.
julio1583
Bandit
Bandit

Post by julio1583 »

I have an 18 inch cable. Is this a problem? I have moded many hitachi and no errors.
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

it should be fine
No Questions by PM.
diego
Peasant
Peasant

Post by diego »

so the sata cable could be a problem?
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

The sata cable could be a problem yes, but only if its really long. I flash with a sata cable thats nearly 3 feet in length an have no trouble. Of course a bad sata cable is always a problem.
Sadalius

No questions by PM please

Return to “Other Tutorials”