Flashing a V78 Drive

CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Flashing a V78 Drive

Post by CoFree »

Flashing a V78 Drive
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Very important!

"Do not flash over hacked firmware. If your firmware is flashed you will have to flash back to the original firmware,then flash the new hacked firmware."

1. Opening the 360------- http://www.robinhoodsplayground.com/for ... =110&t=297
3. Download, hacked firmware,Slax 2.1 and firmware toolbox v4.6 from X-Bins.If you are not sure about these programs and the firmware then you have some reading to do it's in the tutorial thread
http://www.robinhoodsplayground.com/for ... .php?f=110
4. Burn Slax 2.1 to CD-R ( I used Img Burn 2.3.2) You can find them here.
http://www.robinhoodsplayground.com/for ... .php?f=112
5. Get a dvd movie or a original 360 game(i feel better using a movie)
6. I would not power the 360 dvd drive with the 360.I would use this.
http://www.divineo.com/cgi-bin/div-us/dd-360-conkit2

OK HERE WE GO.

Hook up your 360 to your computer with a sata cable,make sure the ModeB is OFF on your blaster; turn the blaster360 power on. Do not turn off the power to the blaster till everything is done.Turning of the blaster will be the last thing we do.The blaster "CAN NOT" be powered by your PC. it will loose Mode B when you restart the computer. (I used an old AT power supply from a computer I junked out.) Most people use the 360 to power the drive.

NEXT

Boot up your PC with the Slax cd-r. At the "Green clover", when the line is blinking, I had to hit "enter." If I let the slax CD start on it's own, it would not work.After slax gets started
Quickly plug your sata cable in the dvd drive and power on.
you may see a spinning up error I had to hit eject before the program would continue.

Once you are at the slax login - check to make sure the 360 drive is in mode B. You will have to hit eject two times for it to open the tray.that will let you know its in mode B
After you know the drive is in Mode B, power off the computer(LEAVE THE 360 POWERED UP), take out the slax disc, the tray will open automatically and will close quick - so get the disc quick.

So far so good.The next step is the tricky part.Your computer must find your 360 drive.

Power the computer on (back into windows) at the loading bar open and close the 360 drive four or five times this helps the computer find the drive.(just like the other hit drives)Remember you will have to hit the eject 2 times for it to open and close.
When windows starts and you see your desktop.I did not see a found new hardware pop up.You may.Go to "my computer" and make sure your computer has gave the hit v78 drive a "letter"

Now the movie:

At this point you have to put in a movie or a original 360 game
Install the movie or game in the 360
(I feel better using a movie)After you put in the movie (or game), close any auto launchers that come on.

Make a folder for the firmware you are about to dump from your 360 drive.

NOW open 360 firmware toolbox v4.6

RESTORE
-----------------------
If the 360 dvd drive has NOT been flashed before you can skip down to the next paragraph.
If the v78 drive has been flash before you must do a RESTORE on the drive before you flash it with the new hacked firmware.
After you have checked that the key looks good.
Go to the
Tools>Recover lost original file
A small pop up will tell you that this could take some time.You will press OK.At this point it will look like there is nothing going on but it is working.After it is done it will pop up a new window.You will need to name the rebuilt orig firmware. put it in the folder you made for this flashing and hit save.
It will now ask if you want to open it,you need to say "YES".This is now the firmware we will flash in to do the restore.Its loaded in firmware tool bow now.

Now to the restore.
On the tab up top you will need to click.
TOOLS> Direct Drive Flash(gdr only)>Differential Flash(Restore)
Make sure to put you V78 driver in the drop down
It will be listed as "GDR3120L ROM 0078"
Now click the Read and detect Differences
now it will take a sec while the differences are listed.
When it done click the
Start flashing.
It will tell you that "All sectors Flashed" Click ok
At this point you are back to a orig firmware in your 360 dvd drive.
Now close out of that window.
I close out of Firmware Toolbox v4.6 completely.

Dump/Flash
Now we start the reflashing
Flashing if this is the first time this 360 has been flashed.
Open firmware toolbox v4.6

Select--- "tools"--- "direct DRIVE dump (GDR only)"
Make sure your drive is selected in the drop down.

Select--- "raw dump firmware as"
save the original firmware as "original".
It will ask if you want to perform a checksum validation click yes.
It should tell you Checksum "OK" If it don't start over.
It will now ask if you want to open it. Say "YES"
It should look unique not a lot of the same letter or number.If it's a lot of the same letter or number you have a bad dump and need to start over.
When we get done you want to Put a copy of this some where safe (Do not loose this firmware).

Do not close firmware toolbox v4.6.As long as the key looks good we will go right into the flash.

Now on to the good stuff.

Select---- "tools"--- "smart hack patcher" accept the warning.

To the far right of the output file line, click the box with three dots. Save the file as "hacked".Save it to the same place you saved the the "original" file.

Make sure the rule set is, xtreme 1.4 V0078+_12X .this will flash 12x speed.If you want a different speed then you will need to change it to the speed you want.

select--- "generate file".
It will say hacked firmware created. When it asks if you want to open it - say YES.
Make sure the key is the same.

NEXT

Select--- "Direct drive flash (GDR only)"--- "differential flash (patch)".

Make sure your hit drive is in the drop down list.

Hit read and detect differences.
It will now list the differences.When it's done.
Select--- "Start flashing"
It will pop up "all sectors Flashed.
Let it finish; close out;

Now turn the blaster power off and mode B off.

Test 360 with backup after taking out the movie or game.

I will add pictures later. ;)
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.

Return to “Drive Flashing Tutorials”