Production Volkswagen Up! Promises up to 94 MPG

Have a read and let us know what you think.
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

by:Brandon Hill

Volkswagen Up! Concept Car
VW gets back to its roots with the Up!

Back in October 2007, DailyTech brought you news concerning Volkswagen's Up! concept car. The tiny Up! measures just 135.8" in length and only 64.2" in width. VW's hope with the Up! is to spark a revolution in economical vehicles like the original Beetle.

According to Auto Express, work on the production version of the Up! is coming along nicely and more details of the tiny runabout are starting to leak out of VW headquarters. Like the original Beetle, the Up! is a rear-engine, rear wheel drive vehicle.

Despite the tiny dimensions, the Up! will be able to seat four people within its cabin. Adding to its versatility, the three passenger seats of the Up! can be folded to accept large/bulky cargo or removed completely for even more storage space.

Power for the Up! will come from a choice of gasoline or diesel two-cylinder engines. Both engines will be around 600c in capacity and will be turbocharged. VW is projecting that the turbocharged diesel motor will be good for 94 MPG combined on the European cycle.

Pricing for the Up! is expected to start at around £4,000 ($7,900 USD) in emerging markets for completely stripped models. Better-equipped models destined for the European market are expected to start at £7,500 ($14,800 USD).

With tiny vehicles like the Smart Fourtwo seeing huge demand in the United States, it may only be a matter of time before VW sends the Up! to our shores. Compared to the Smart Fourtwo, the Up! features room for two additional passengers and vastly superior fuel economy.

=========================================================================================================

I would rather it get 75 mpg and look better. ;)
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
ncaaplayer4
Trusted Member
Trusted Member

Re: Production Volkswagen Up! Promises up to 94 MPG

Post by ncaaplayer4 »

I want one, I can live with 94 MPG. All I get is 17 MPG with my pretty S-10, that about 50.00 USD a week. :cry:
A red one with FU Exxon painted on back. :D :D
It could look better, but so could I. ;)
Robinhoods Playground!
Jman 31
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by Jman 31 »

To bad my tall ass probably won't fit in one! :evil:
ROBINHOOD'S PLAYGROUND
Sesshomaru
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Post by Sesshomaru »

ncaaplayer4 wrote:I want one, I can live with 94 MPG. All I get is 17 MPG with my pretty S-10, that about 50.00 USD a week. :cry:
A red one with FU Exxon painted on back. :D :D
It could look better, but so could I. ;)
Lol, I drive a red Chevy S-10 as well and have to drive about 40 mins to work. :(

I think I might trade it in...

Return to “Front Page News”