Wireless Live .. help plz !!!

The place to ask your questions about the Xbox 360
Denny8569
Peasant
Peasant

Wireless Live .. help plz !!!

Post by Denny8569 »

I've been contemplating setting up a wireless network to hook up my 360 (it's unreachable with ethernet cables). I'd like some advice on which adapter and router to get.

Are their any good alternatives to the official xbox 360 wireless adapter? Seems a bit hefty in price, plus you'll never get the additional speed boost you can get with products from one manufacturer.

Now for the router/gateway thingy. The best standard at the moment seems 802.11a but 802.11n should be out in 2007 so it doesn't seem worth the extra buck at the moment. I'll go with 802.11g for now. The xbox website has a list of compatible routers from D-link, Linksys and Netgear. USRobotics and Belkin don't get a mention.

D-Link seems crap, Linksys seems better and Netgear seems very good but extra pricey because of the Mac-esque design.
Think I'll go for a D-Link DI-624, a Linksys WRT54GL or GC, or a Netgear WGT624.
you can not spam in your sig
it will get you banned
you can edit your sig now
Cofree
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Re: Wireless Live .. help plz !!!

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

I used to like Linksys, but lately ive began to hate them... I have 2 router's and they both suck, they constantly disconnect me, or just all together stop broadcasting SSID, and or refuse any WIFI at all...

I know with my dlink I plugged it in, and it worked perfectly with my xbox, no nat issues nothing... A friend of mine went through a belkin, and a linksys both having huge problems with xbox live (if another xbox signed on while he was online, he would be kicked off live). After buying a dlink, he has had no troubles.

So anyways, i'd reccomend going for a dlink if xbox live is pretty important to you, you can use any other router, but some you will need to put in some work, and configure it, but like I said, the dlink I have, and the one my buddy bought, they both worked right out of the box.
nufcmickey
Trusted Member
Trusted Member

Post by nufcmickey »

Well fortunatly for me my lass paid the 60 quid for one of those wireless things, I must say I wasnt very confident with it but ive been using it for over a year and not had 1 problem. Plug it in to xbox, go to network settings and choose wireless and put in your network key. Simple as that. Mind you now and again ive had the strict nat sometimes but think thats more to do with the BT home hub rather than the wireless adapter.

Im sure you can pick up the adapter nowadays for half the price I paid, think ive seen it for 30 quid. I have my xbox one end of the living room and its 2 rooms built into 1 and router on other side, its the same upstairs too. Always get a full green connection. Ive tried an adapter I got from BT and it lights up but carnt get it to work. Maybee you have to use the MS adapter. But just letting you know Ive used one for over a year solid and its a good piece of kit. Not worth 60 quid like but if you can get it cheaper then its good.
sas67
Possible Ally of Robinhood
Possible Ally of Robinhood

Post by sas67 »

i use a netgear WNR2000 router and the normal microsoft wifi adapter.works a charm.before i got my wifi adapter i used my laptop to power xbox live.connect lappy to wifi router and ethernet cable from laptop to 360 and worked a charm.bit more fiddly,setting up networks from laptop,but once done it was great
flash all phat's and slim drives upto 1175fw.awaiting delivery of cr3lite

nufcmickey
Trusted Member
Trusted Member

Post by nufcmickey »

sas67 wrote:i use a netgear WNR2000 router and the normal microsoft wifi adapter.works a charm.before i got my wifi adapter i used my laptop to power xbox live.connect lappy to wifi router and ethernet cable from laptop to 360 and worked a charm.bit more fiddly,setting up networks from laptop,but once done it was great
Yeah I heard you can plug ethernet cable from xbox to your PC and bridge connections somehow, least that way its saving you alot of money for a little piece of plastic. But if he wants wireless then I agree with you, I have official white MS adapter too and ive not had a problem with it. Least once he has one he can put the xbox anywhere he wants carnt he and always a good/decent connection.
GRASSASS
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Post by GRASSASS »

i too am using a netgear (wgr614) wireless router (free from virgin-i stated i do a lot of online gaming :))
and the only problem i have found is i cant use utorrent at the same time as gaming but browsing doesnt bother it
other than that it was a plug and play setup
a flashing frenzy huh huh

Return to “Beginners”