The place to ask your questions about the Xbox 360
ImnotKALTIK
Peasant
Peasant

Duped into Buying Bricked Benq

Post by ImnotKALTIK »

:cry:
Hi guys hope someone can help.

Ive just received my spare benq drive from ebay.
I was ready to try and load the 0800 firmware onto it. But I decided to just make sure that I hadn’t been sent a Dead drive.

So I hooked the drive up to my CK3 kit and hit the eject button and got no response from the drive so I’m thinking that the Fecker from eBay sent me a bricked drive, that he said was Quote 100% Working . So now I don’t know what to do.

I’m hoping I’m not the first person that this has happened too.

Is there any way I can breed life back into the Drive?

I do have a second Benq drive that’s In an Xbox that hasn’t been flashed, is there some way I can copy its original firmware and put it on the bricked drive. As the bricked drive isn’t going back in to an Xbox.

Or

Should I just bin the bloody thing and order a really 100% working drive.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and for any advice you share.
fuyingbro
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Duped into Buying Bricked Benq

Post by fuyingbro »

i remember this happening to my lite on that when i went to flash it it went bad and the eject would not work. the way i was able to fix it was using a program in does i forget the name and wipeing the drive and when it comes back with a responce of ff70 or something like that it is ok to put your firmware on. when i did that mine was fine and the eject worked. i hope this helps.
pink
Bandit
Bandit

Post by pink »

try this tutorial it may help
http://www.robinhoodsplayground.com/for ... =197&t=196" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
if this does not help go to http://www.klutsh.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and ask there
ImnotKALTIK
Peasant
Peasant

Post by ImnotKALTIK »

pink wrote:try this tutorial it may help
http://www.robinhoodsplayground.com/for ... =197&t=196" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
if this does not help go to http://www.klutsh.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and ask there
Do you think this could work for me?
Even though the drive was bricked when the guy sent it to me. I don’t have the original firmware.

But i do have a spare Benq in a 360.

I just wanted the bricked drive to make backups.
technoe
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by technoe »

If you're just going to use it to put the 0800 firmware on it, all you need to do is flash it. Chances are there's absolutely no firmware on it, and if that's the case then it won't do anything because there are no commands stored in the flash chip. So if you're using iprep (I would recommend JF for this) then you'll need to rename the 0800 firmware to something compatible with iprep, like bencfw.bin. Then instead of running iprep like normal just run dosflash and choose the 0800 firmware you've stored on your thumb drive. If you're using JF then load the 0800 firmware, no key necessary, then do the benq unlock, if that doesn't work just hit the intro to device id button. It should put the drive in vendor mode, then click write. If you're having issues with it going into vendor mode, then you'll have to manually eject the drive to about half way out and write from there.
Today Money, Tomorrow the WORLD!!
ImnotKALTIK
Peasant
Peasant

Post by ImnotKALTIK »

Thanks Techneo that’s great advice ill give it a whirl. Ill post back how I get on.
It might be a few days as I’ve got an old Dell that don’t like to boot from usb drives.
ImnotKALTIK
Peasant
Peasant

Post by ImnotKALTIK »

Hi guys update on how I got on, my dell doesn’t support booting from USB or floppy drives. So that put iPrep out the window. So I bought another Benq from EBay this one was in perfect working order, so opened Jungle Flasher loaded the target firmware unlocked the benq and wrote the firmware to the drive. And BAM that was it, took like 2 minutes to flash the 0800 firmware 2 the drive. It wouldn’t have been that easy or quick if I had never stumbled across YouTube guides with the links to this site.

I want to say a BIG THANK YOU to every body at ROBINHOODSPLAYGROUND that helped me out and for all the guides that you guys post.
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

Good work ImnotKALTIK, glad you got it all setup. As for the other BenQ, did you send it back to the guy? I'd contact him for a refund.
ImnotKALTIK
Peasant
Peasant

Post by ImnotKALTIK »

HaGGardSmurf wrote:Good work ImnotKALTIK, glad you got it all setup. As for the other BenQ, did you send it back to the guy? I'd contact him for a refund.

Hi I asked for a full refund but the guy would only refund me the price on the drive and not the postage which was as much as the drive and he wanted me to pay for the postage to return the thing back to him.

He wanted me to spend 20 Euro to get a refund of 10. So I just left him with bad feedback and in the comments I left a warning for other to not buy anything from the crook.
He then sent me a message asking me to change my feedback comment which I refused to do.

Haven’t had anymore messages since.
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

Wow thats a huge price for shipping, most of the drives ive bought have been either free shipping or like $5-$10 (depending on how many I buy at once)

You can buy a new pcb/logic board off ebay, swap out the one in your current drive and you should have a 'brand new' drive.
ImnotKALTIK
Peasant
Peasant

Post by ImnotKALTIK »

O sweet ill check that out. That never crossed my mind to do that it would have been a lot cheaper. Thanks HaGGardSmurf.
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

Yeah, getting a PCB board is a great way to go when it comes to a bricked drive. Takes literally seconds to swap em out and like you said a couple minutes to flash. Back in business.
Sadalius

No questions by PM please
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

sadalius wrote:Yeah, getting a PCB board is a great way to go when it comes to a bricked drive. Takes literally seconds to swap em out and like you said a couple minutes to flash. Back in business.
Before I had ever swapped a PCB, I thought it'd be a complex process, then I found out all you need to do is unplug the ribbon cables, and plug them into the new PCB.

Return to “Beginners”