Time flies when the great purple cow...

A place to hang out with the other members of Robinhoods Playground.com
Got a joke or a story let us hear it.
King Brace Blane
Squire
Squire

Time flies when the great purple cow...

Post by King Brace Blane »

I knew that title would get your attention...

I joined here Mar 4th, 2009 when my nephew's XBox DVD took a crap. I was fortunate to find this place and repair the XBox. Since then he took a job at Mc Donalds and bought a new XBox when that same one became a victim of the "Red Ring of Death". So now here I am one year later and I finally bought my own, I know I am such a hold out. It is the Halo 3 limited edition and on its way via UPS.

Does anyone here think I should I purchase my nephew's old system for spare parts? If so what should I offer him?

KBB
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Re: Time flies when the great purple cow...

Post by CoFree »

imo

well the dvd drive is about the only thing worth anything
for the most part

check out ebay on a rrod console that is complete.
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
King Brace Blane
Squire
Squire

I have viewed 2 very different videos on YouTube on how to repair the RROD. The first method shows removal of the X-Clamps and CPU, replacing screws with new shorter ones and nylon washers. Basically pressing the mobo down on the metal box. The other method shows making 4 little heat sinks out of pennies and black tape. This last method seems a bit sloppy, with similar results. I comprehend how both methods work but foggy on what or how to do a towel trick?? I might try this if I buy my nephew's old Xbox. I guess I will offer him $20 for it and if it works I have a backup, otherwise I still come out ahead on a spare (like new) DVD. Anyone have thoughts on this RROD fix?

KBB
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

you are not pulling the mobo down on the case

what you are doing is pulling the gpu heat sync down on the gpu better.
you are replacing the xclamp with bolts
the xclamp is what is pulling the heat sync down now.

it is not a reliable fix for long
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
technoe
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by technoe »

Do NOT do the towel "trick"! I repeat DO NOT DO THE TOWEL TRICK!. The first thing you should do is replace the x-clamps with the bolts and associated washers. Then do the 12V fan mod. If that doesn't work find someone who has the equipment to do a true reflow on your board. A reflow is the last line of defense before a complete overhaul with re-balling the cpu and gpu. And no matter how many videos you see with someone using a heat gun on their board, it's just a temporary fix. If you have any more questions just post up man and someone will be around.
Today Money, Tomorrow the WORLD!!
SincereSoprano
Bandit
Bandit

Post by SincereSoprano »

I concure with Technoe!
"I am like any other man. All I do is supply a demand."- Al Capone
King Brace Blane
Squire
Squire

Well by the time I got in touch with my nephew he had already sold the old Xbox. He said it was pretty worthless since not only did it get the RROD it was banned off Live last November too. :D

Thanks for the advice, now that I have my Halo 3 Xbox and it is in running condition is there any "preventative maintenance" I should perform on it? It is a newer system but still used so I am thinking wouldn't it be wise to strip it down and replace the X-clamps with the bolts and washers now? I saw the 12 volt fan mod which should be a walk in the park compared to the replacement of the X-clamps.
Do NOT do the towel "trick"! I repeat DO NOT DO THE TOWEL TRICK!.
Yes, I was questioning that myself. The video about the "towel trick" the guy states that he has to perform it every week. I can't imagine any good coming from overheating the mobo once a week. I am an IT person and I don't even subscribe to reflowing the mobo. If it got to that point you might as well pitch it. I doubt the average person has over $1,000 to spend on reflow equipment any way. But speaking of reflow, I found a video here; Hacked Gadgets

They claim to have done a reflow but from all I am seeing on this video they allowed the Xbox to overheat without the towel as insulation. They even went as far as using a blond chic to fix the system who is obviously reading a script. So far the most logical and simple fix is to upgrade the fans so the 360 can remain cool. I keep the house air-conditioned in the summer and this northern climate we don't see 90 but for one week in June and again in August. The rest of the year we freeze or so I am told by my family. All last winter I heard that 65 degrees was too cold... I told them, then go outside and warm up it is only 15 out there.
technoe
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by technoe »

Honestly good reflow equipment is only about $500. And I've got one setup in my shop like I know many other modders do. And if you're just gonna pitch it then sell it to me or one the guys like Cofree, Sadalius or Shootsteel who has an operation in order to get things like that going. And to be fair the re-flow process is really easy. You just need the right tools.
Today Money, Tomorrow the WORLD!!

Return to “The Forest”