freezing and no picture although sound (every now and then)

The place to ask your questions about the Xbox 360
southbound
Bandit
Bandit

freezing and no picture although sound (every now and then)

Post by southbound »

Hello,Robinhoodsplayground.This Is my first post :D

About My console.It works,but sometimes when I sign into live and load up my game,it gets to the main menu of the game and freezes,nothing,can't even turn it of by controller,totally no control and picture frozzen.I have to turn it off using the off and on button on the consaole to restart it.I do have an offical hard drive in aswell.

And sometimes when I'm playing a game,the picture will go,so I'm left with a black screen and sound,I all so have to turn the console of to restore.Apart from that everythings working fine.

I've been waiting for the rrod of death but nothing yet,I would say 10% - 20% out of a 100% the above senarios happen.

I just don't no what's to come of it next,will the freezing stop on it's own,will the picture be a continuous?

Anything anyone wants to add,I would greatly appreciate :D

Thanks,

newmember,
southbound
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Re: freezing and no picture although sound (every now and then)

Post by CoFree »

a problem like that will never just go away.
it does sound like the RROD is starting on that console

ive seen it take a long time before it just goes out

If you have a xtra power supply around
i would try that just for the heck of it.
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
southbound
Bandit
Bandit

Post by southbound »

Update What I actually did was the southbridge X-clamp fix,but instead of a sheat of metal I used an old Gpu heat sink,did a bit of modifications and clamp that in,haven't had a problem since.

Thank,

southbound
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

I may need to try this on a box of mine.

You used an old GPU heatsink as in the aluminum ones on the 360, or a GPU on a graphics card?
southbound
Bandit
Bandit

Post by southbound »

First I would try the the normal southbridge x-clamp fix here: http://xbox-experts.co.uk/tutorial/sout ... xclampfix/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Homemade or buy from them it doesn't matter,I wouldn't go to tight but it's up to you.If that doesn't work,yes get an old graphics card Gpu.Your have to take off a few of the top pannels in order to be able to tighten the bolts.I've had sussess with the homemade version and an old graphics Gpu.

Old Graphics Gpu (Homemade), Here: http://yfrog.com/31photo0608j" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Old Pci wireless card (homemade), Here: http://yfrog.com/5mphoto0611j" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you choose the 3 screw\ 3 bolt (optioal washers) method you don't have to cut or interrupt the xbox Gpu like how you do if you choose the 4 scew \ 4 bolt method. Although If you try the Graphics Gpu way, sand down the taken of pannels and that should all so slide underneath the xbox Gpu for 3 screw\ 3 bolt method.

southbound

The whole idea goes out to Wilhelm over at http://xbox-experts.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. So credit to you.
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

I ended up buying a heatsink with thermal adhesive backing, I'll give that a go. Ive read about that fix before, and its alot of work.

If this heatsink doesnt work I'll get this box reballed. I've tracked down a guy in town that does reballs on 360's.
southbound
Bandit
Bandit

Post by southbound »

Yeah I'm working on a box now,If an oven reflow doesn't work I'm going to have to look into a reball allso.

Be lucky, talk you soon man.

Off topic I can't make a new thread, was told I can't because it hasn't been long enough since my last.
Anyhow I just want an answer for a quick question.Is an lt switch needed if I have the ck3 prob?

Thanks,

southbound
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

I may just pickup my own rework station :P

You can only post once every 60 seconds I believe, so if you posted a reply, then tried to create a new topic in less than 60 seconds it'd give you that error. Just try again.

Return to “Beginners”