Chips?

The place to ask your questions about the Xbox 360
Mr.Gone
Squire
Squire

Chips?

Post by Mr.Gone »

I have a question about modchips. I didn't see any posts about them here, so I don't know if it's against the rules. I was looking at the cygnos360 and it says that if you're at dashboard 8xxx or higher it won't work for homebrew. But I was wondering if you'd still be able to change the region code? Because there's few Japanese games I would like to buy that are region locked, but I don't want to buy a NTSC-j console if I could just chip it. Thanks in advance.
I like to plug things in...then I like to unplug them..then I go to sleep...
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Re: Chips?

Post by CoFree »

talking about mod chips are fine
most of them are a big pain so we dont get into it much
Ive never needed to change the region code of my console
so ive never looked into it
sorry

maybe one of the other guys has.
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

I think your able to play pal on ntsc and vice versa, but the game needs to be region free, and your t.v has to support ntsc and pal.
Mr.Gone
Squire
Squire

Post by Mr.Gone »

Yeah but the games I'm wanting are region locked NTSC-j..like dodonpachi daifukkatsu and ketsui..I'm a huge arcade shmup fan. Especially cave games. I have espgaluda 2 and mushihimesama futari, as those games are region free, but the first two aren't..to be honest, these cave games were the reason I bought a 360 haha. It's much cheaper than buying a cabinet and all the game PCBs. Especially since the original ketsui goes for over $1000 on eBay..
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

Well the only way I know of to make your console region free is to install a mod chip. You cant change the region of games, technically you can, but you cant resign the game, so its unplayable.

I dont know too much about pro's and con's of each chip, so you'll need to look into that yourself. There may be other members here who have messed with chip's but I doubt it.

I'd be interested with what you come up with, keep us updated.

PS, also look into just buying a Japanese console, or a console with an exploitable kernel. I'm almost 100% sure if you jtag your xbox you can change the region, but I believe it'll be region free.

Anyways, see if you can track someone down, be it a friend, family member whatever, who has a box and maybe they dont play it much, and check the kernel version if its exploitable trade them your box, or buy theirs off them. Sometimes you can find red ringed boxes with old kernel's and all they take are simple reflow's or an xclamp or whatever.

That route may end up being better, as you will have a spare box to play any game on, and you can still play online on your other 360, also installing most chips for the 360 is quite tedious, and you have to really watch what your doing.
Mr.Gone
Squire
Squire

Post by Mr.Gone »

Well I found a buddy with a rrod box. He's supposed to bring it to me. Now I'll need to research how to fix that..Is there any soldering involved to fix rrod?
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

Nope. You can probably fix it with a simple xclamp.

Otherwise, if that doesnt work, you'll need a heatgun and then you can do a reflow.
Mr.Gone
Squire
Squire

Post by Mr.Gone »

Hey haggardsmurf, I hate to be a bother but I posted a problem on my burner thread, and was wondering if you may know what's wrong..
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

Sorry, I just read it, your post got buried I guess.
Mr.Gone
Squire
Squire

Post by Mr.Gone »

ok i finally got the rrod 360 i was talking about. i started it up and it has 3 red lights blinking. i opened it up and its packed full of dust..no wonder it overheated..i was looking for a good tutorial to install the x clamp you were talking about. are there any good video tutorials you know of?
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

Well all you need to do from here is take the power board off, by removing the 3 screws I believe theyre T-8's then remove the fan plug, and pull the fan out.

Now lift the board out of the chassis.

Once your on the bottom of the board your going to want to pry the xclamps off.

The blue line is where your want to stick a flat head, and pry. (Push the handle of the screw driver towards the middle of the xclamp, Pulling the xclamp arm off the heatsink leg.)

Its kind of a pain, but once you figure out what your doing you should be good, and once you get 2 off the last 2 are easy, and you can sometimes take the clamp off without prying.

Once you have both xclamps off, clean the heatsink and chips with 99% rubbing alcohol, and get all the paste off. There should only be paste on only the chip face. (Use wd-40 on the heatsink, it breaks down the paste well, then once its off, wipe with rubbing alcohol to clean any greasy residue.)

Once theyre all clean, put as little paste as possible, but make sure you cover the whole chip, use an old credit card, or business card or something, and smooth the paste with it.

The paste is only there to remove the microscopic air gap that would be there otherwise, and would not transfer heat effectively.

Thats the hard part.

Now all you do is take plyers and grab the leg of the heatsink and turn it (its screwed in) and remove all 8 legs.

Now put your 2 washers on your screw:

~Heatsink~
-metal-
-plastic-
motherboard
-plastic-
-metal-
~Screw~

Do 4 at a time, and once you have both heatsinks done, reassemble. The screws only need to be hand tight.

You might want a video tut so you can picture exactly what I'm saying, so try youtube, theres millions of tuts out there.
Mr.Gone
Squire
Squire

Post by Mr.Gone »

Thanks man. I got it taken apart and cleaned and all that. I got a xclamp kit coming in because I'm not sure what size washers and all that I need..and it's got an opening tool which will make my life a lot easier. Also ordered a new fan for it. I'm pretty sure I can do it. Now it's just waiting..he said this box hasn't been online for about 2 years so hopefully it'll have an exploitable kernel.
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

Guaranteed it wont, you'll need to update to an exploitable kernel :P

Well that is if the console has not seen live, or any game disks in 2 years.
Mr.Gone
Squire
Squire

Post by Mr.Gone »

Well I don't know about that.. I know this is completely off topic , but how would I update to an exploitable one without using live and getting the newest one?
moonknight
Possible Ally of Robinhood
Possible Ally of Robinhood

Post by moonknight »

Update from a game disc without going online. Maybe someone here would know a few with the correct update on them.

Return to “Beginners”