PS3 USB modchip claims to run "backed-up" games

weestu
Peasant
Peasant

Post by weestu »

A USB dongle has hit the PlayStation 3 mod scene that purports to back up games to the console's hard drive, allowing you to play them without the disc being present. What's more, it's plug and play, so there's no need to get the screwdriver out or tamper with your PS3 in any way. Skip related content
Related photos / videos
PS3 USB modchip claims to run "backed-up" games Enlarge photo

The PS Jailbreak stick also comes with claims that it is updatable so that, when Sony releases firmware updates for its PS3s, the dongle will still work.

There are many sceptics though, not least developer Mathieu Hervais who Tweeted, "Needless to say the backups wont "run" as their "backup manager" is just a regular fself running with game privileges and doesn't make use of any exploits that I can think of".

In addition, the site of the Jailbreak's manufacturer - psjailbreak.com - is currently inaccessible, although that could be its inability to cope with the extra traffic that's flooding there at the moment, rather than having been taken down. Needless to say, it does strike Pocket-lint as a bit dodgy.

That said, several of the PS3 mod society claim to have tested it and are happy to endorse its credibility - psx-scene.com has also released some of the PS Jailbreak's specifications, after talking with its developers, including the nugget that the backed-up games will still work with online play. The fansite also states that final retail versions are ready to ship.

------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------

Edit by
Cofree

Yes at this point it looks like this is for real
here is some more info and a link to the best info on this that can be found right now.
http://psx-scene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64935" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The first PS3 modchip has arrived and PSX-SCENE is the FIRST site to CONFIRM it is 100% REAL!!!

PSX-SCENE is the first any ONLY website to CONFIRM that this product is working 100% Not by speculation but by being the only website to have testers with actual product in hand! We will have a video courtesy of OzModchips soon so stay tuned!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IDaGne0u-4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have been in contact directly with the manufacturer and can confirm some things you have all been asking about...

1. FAT32 is currently supported. They are working on NTFS.

2. They recommend staying on current firmware and not updating until they have deemed it safe. The dongle is fully updatable.

3. Online play does work but they cannot guarantee that it will work with all future titles.

4. Final retail units are ready to ship.

5. Official reseller list will be on their site in the next 48 hours. You can pre-order from any of the official resellers. There are websites out there now claiming to be selling but they are not legitimate. Don't get ripped off. Wait until the official list is posted.
Quote:
PS Jailbreak is a USB plug and play solution that installs in seconds, keeping your valid warranty seal in tact.

Easy to use installer and GUI takes you step by step.

Compatible with all production models FAT and SLIM. Supports all regions: USA, JAP, PAL and KOREA

PS Jailbreak disables forced software updates and will never brick your console.

Supports all games (it does not allow backups of bluray movies , dvd movies , or past consoles games)

Backup games to your internal hard drive or external hard drive through USB, and boot directly off GUI. Eliminating the need for expensive blueray burners and costly blank media.

Play backups off your hard drives 2x as fast as off the blueray drive. This eliminates lags and glitches to provide you with smoother game play.

Open up your console to a new generation of homebrew applications. Load homebrew apps/games off any USB hard drive/flash drive.

Fully updatable with new features/updates by connecting PS Jailbreak to any computers USB port.
Check out the OFFICIAL SITE for more info and, as usual, PSX-SCENE will be your #1 source of info on this exciting news!

Warning :
do NOT contact or buy PS Jailbreak from http://www.shoppsjailbreak.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
its a Fake site

the Real one is
http://psjailbreak.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can bet there will be more on this later.
I will get one and start testing as soon as i can get my hands on it.
cainhunpi
Trusted Member
Trusted Member

Re: PS3 USB modchip claims to run "backed-up" games

Post by cainhunpi »

If this is true, It would be a lot nicer than ripping you blurays, then re-burning them, which takes a LONG time. This way we would only need to rip and put it in a hard drive
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

The copies on your HDD arent full games are they? I thought it just copied 'essential' data that would help to speed up loading times etc, but still uses the disk?

Who knows I may be wrong, I rarely use my ps3.
djshauny1
Possible Ally of Robinhood

Post by djshauny1 »

Hopefully someone will manage to dump the usb drive
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

there are many talking about this right now.
it is suppose to be a game rip (backup) to a HD and then play the game from the HD WITHOUT the original game in the player
there is doubt that it is for real
we shall see :?
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

I have made a edit to the first post
and the latest is its for real
lets hope
No Questions by PM.
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

here are a few quotes from some of the big guys that are working on this.

xiaNaix a admin at http://psx-scene.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Current speculation is that it is not an exploit. It probably works similar to the Pandora battery for PSP.
Assuming it's around $120, considering what you're getting, I think it's fair.
It's not just software on a USB Thumb Drive.
I'm sure there are plenty of people who still say the the video was fake, etc. I suggest you take a look around the site. We've been here since the PS2 was released in Japan. We used to be called PS2-SCENE.ORG Before that, I ran a well-known haking site for the original PlayStation (PsOne), which you can see an archive of here...

http://xiaNaix.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We've always been at the forefront of the PlayStation scene and this is no different. No other website even knew about this product. Not only were we the first to announce it, we came out of the gate running and had Australian testers like OzModchips and others who had actual product in hand.
The product is CONFIRMED 100% real, legitimate, and working. If you don't believe us, wait a day or two until the other sites receive their samples.
I'm sure Sony will eventually try to block this. That's why the manufacturers recommend you do not update your firmware and have included a firmware blocker to prevent auto updates.
There are at least a half dozen people now with sample dongles in hand that have posted info and videos. All very reputable known shops that have been around for years. Numerous scene websites have confirmed it's authenticity. You'd have to be sixteen different kinds of retarded to still think this is fake.
This is the best one so far :D :D :D Cofree

garyopa a admin at http://psx-scene.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I done my research also, and been around on the 'net when it was a 300baud modem and dial-up to a mainframe, so I don't go ruining my name, by posting something fake.

This thread would have not been started unless, trust people that have been working with video gaming consoles since before the SNES days, had the product in their hand, and tested it.

Yes, it took a while to install a game to test, there is always trial&error, and yes it took Youtube 40 minutes to process the upload video, but it all there in the open and full proof

ozmodchips tester at http://psx-scene.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
it works!!!
we will bring you more as it comes out
No Questions by PM.
djshauny1

Post by djshauny1 »

Ohhh i hope this is real

Im so gunna get 1 of those if it is :)

Hey Cofree

You gunna get 1 if its all legit??
Mr.Gone
Squire
Squire

Post by Mr.Gone »

Dude...why can't the 360 just be as easy as plugging in a USB dongle? If this thing works I'm definitely getting one!!
I like to plug things in...then I like to unplug them..then I go to sleep...
cainhunpi
Trusted Member
Trusted Member

Post by cainhunpi »

Here is the tutorial FROM PS3NEWS.COM

PS JailBreak Easy Start-Up Instructions:

1. Visit http://www.psjailbreak.com/downloads" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - download Backup Manager and copy onto any standard FAT32 formatted USB flash drive

2. Power off your console (For Fat model you can flick power switch in the back. For slim you must unplug power cable and re-plug out of back of console).

3. Insert PS Jailbreak into your consoles USB port (you should have nothing else plugged in)

4. Press power button on console, release power button and then immediately press the eject button (You will then see two lights while the console loads. If the light turns green then that means PS Jailbreak is working,if it turns red then that means you did not press power/eject in a quick enough sequence. If you see red light please un-plug your console from the wall and begin step 4 over again).

5. Insert USB key with backup manager downloaded on it.

6. On main system menu go to "Game", then "Install Package Files", and click to install Backup Manager.

7. Scroll down game menu and you will see Backup Manager application, please click on it

8. Insert your licensed game that you would like to backup into the drive, if you wish to backup to an external hard drive please insert it now. Click O button to backup game. You will be asked if you would like to backup to external hard drive (by clicking no it will ask you to backup to internal hard drive).

9. To load a backup game please insert any game into the drive (You can have any real PS3 game in the drive, but you must leave 1 game in the drive to access your 100's of backups. This ensures reliability in the game loading process). Now choose the game you would like to load with Backup Manager highlighted. Scroll up 1 and you will see the chosen game that you have loaded from Backup Manager.

Click on it, an enjoy your games!
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

djshauny1 wrote:
Hey Cofree

yes man
100%
Ill get one as soon as i can get my hands one
If for no other reason to get up my on video of how/what to do to get it working

To tell you the truth there is just not much on the ps3 that i want to play.
I think in the end though most of us will go with the ps3 only because they cant get enough game on a DL dvd
In my opinion its only a matter of time before people stop buying 360 games that only last 12 to 20 hours.
the ps3 has far more option open to it for no other reason than size.

guy keep in mind
Dont take any more ps3 updates till this is worked out and we know more info
It could be just like the j-tag on the 360
one update and a blown efuse and its over
No Questions by PM.
cainhunpi
Trusted Member
Trusted Member

Post by cainhunpi »

I just wanted to point out that this USB "Modchip" is not the backup manager. It simply unlocks the PS3 for homebrew apps.

The backup manager is just one of these apps. I am looking forward to be able to mod the PS3 menu system, the default one sucks

Anyways, We'll see if developers get on board with this and develop some cool apps.

Just hope someone releases the USB thing for free. Making money is not what the modding community is all about
trailz
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Post by trailz »

Cool! This makes my day. Hopefully it will not be blocked later on like the jtag hack.
But there's no sense crying over every mistake,
you just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake.
kantamanto
Bandit
Bandit

Post by kantamanto »

CoFree wrote:
djshauny1 wrote:
Hey Cofree

yes man
100%
Ill get one as soon as i can get my hands one
If for no other reason to get up my on video of how/what to do to get it working

To tell you the truth there is just not much on the ps3 that i want to play.
I think in the end though most of us will go with the ps3 only because they cant get enough game on a DL dvd
In my opinion its only a matter of time before people stop buying 360 games that only last 12 to 20 hours.
the ps3 has far more option open to it for no other reason than size.

guy keep in mind
Dont take any more ps3 updates till this is worked out and we know more info
It could be just like the j-tag on the 360
one update and a blown efuse and its over

hey CoFree, when you get it and if it works can you like RIP the files from the PS3 jailbreak thumb drive and upload them for us to download and install on our own thumb drive? do you think thats even possible? because 150 bucks is kind of steap right now in this ecomny i dont have 150 bucks for something that might not even work in the future ya know?

so get back and let me know if you can do this and if you will, thanks!
Image Image
you Bad boy ;) hehe
cainhunpi
Trusted Member
Trusted Member

Post by cainhunpi »

hey CoFree, when you get it and if it works can you like RIP the files from the PS3 jailbreak thumb drive and upload them for us to download and install on our own thumb drive? do you think thats even possible? because 150 bucks is kind of steap right now in this ecomny i dont have 150 bucks for something that might not even work in the future ya know?

so get back and let me know if you can do this and if you will, thanks!

as far as I know it's been pretty hard to copy the files from this usb stick, People at psx-scene.com and ps3news.com have been trying for 2 days now, non stop. Eventually there will be a hacked version of it, but you can't just copy the files over like a regular flash drive

Return to “General information”