Wiikey team releases wiikey update

sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Wiikey team releases wiikey update

Post by sadalius »

The new wiikey firmware, 1.9s has been released early. According to the Wiikey Team, the beta testers that they had enlisted were not even supposed to release information in regards to the beta, but they did. At least two of them did and that is what spurned the wiikey team to release it early and supposedly as a result, maybe the last update we will see from them. The new config disk isn't scheduled for release until the 28th of this month, but those crafty beta testers released the versions that they have to the public. So, if you want the update, go to http://www.wiikey.cn and download it. Then if you want the 1.4 config disk, go to the downloads section of http://www.wiinewz.com and grab the version for your console there. You'll have to sign up to get it, but its free. Just make sure you get the version for your console.
Sadalius

No questions by PM please
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Re: Wiikey team releases wiikey update

Post by CoFree »

Well i went and got the updates from wiikey.

No more updates.well thats kind of a pisser.
I fill like they have been looking for way to get out of doing the updates anyway.
I can see them being upset for someone releasing a beta to the wild,but damn fire the beta testers.Don't shit can the whole thing.

Well don't let me get ahead of my self :oops:
you can have a beta and just make a mistake and release it. :oops:
Then you go be a stand up guy and say crap i made a mistake and let the chip fall where they may.
In my case thing seamed to work out fine. ;)
Klutsh is a cool guy ;)

anyhow let me no how the update goes with you man. :D
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

Did the update go ok for you CoFree? I haven't had time to try with mine. I don't know when the updates got released exactly, whether it was sometime last night or this morning.
Sadalius

CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

no man ive just went and got it.
ive not put it in the wii yet.
so who is going to be the Ginnie pig. :lol:
No Questions by PM.
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

I'll be trying it as soon as I get home. Since I was finally able to get a copy of Super Smash Bros. Brawl from wally world, I'll be able to tell you if it works or not. Right now, the original does not work on the wiikey. It gets the 001 error when I try. I hope they did some media support tweaking in this version.
Sadalius

CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

cool
let me know how it goes
No Questions by PM.
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

Updated last night, works great. Seems games read better now too. I would recommend anyone running a wiikey to grab this update.
Sadalius

CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

will it read the ssmb orig disc now.
i guess what im asking is did it come with DL support for orig disc
No Questions by PM.
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

Yup, reads retail ssbb A OK. Seems they worked a lot of the bugs out of this one, not sure about all the bugs, but all that I've known and seen are gone.
Sadalius

CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

cool ill be trying it tonight if i get time
No Questions by PM.
Sesshomaru
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Post by Sesshomaru »

Out of curiosity, what Wii modchips still have actively updated firmware? Seems like the Wiikey team is tossing their users to the wolves, SSMB will certainly not be the last game that has some sort of copy protection for the Wii.
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

well right now we are looking hard at this one.I have my fingers crossed that it will be a good quality chip.
http://www.qj.net/Modchip-news-Wasabi-f ... aid/115816
http://www.squidoo.com/wasabi-dms-d2a-d ... ii-modchip

have a read.
No Questions by PM.
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

Yup, the wasabi is whats currently drawing the attention of everyone. Inclusing infectus and others. Just to give you an idea of how hot this chip is, not long after it released, a group claimed they had dumped the chips code and dechipered it, then claimed they were going to make their own chip with better features that wasabi. That tells me that someone was jealous of wasabi. I can't say as I blame them, as it does have a pretty good feature list for an optical drive chip.
Sadalius

Sesshomaru
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Post by Sesshomaru »

Looks pretty impressive as long as the firmware stays update. So Wii modchips aren't really modchips at all? They are just optical drive chips like the 360 chips? Perhaps that is not accurate exactly since the Wii chips enable full control of backups, system firmware and homebrew, and 360 firmware chips only patch the firmware to enable the use of backups. It seems the differences are only really in that the Wii system security sucks and could be bypassed by autistic rodents.
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

hahaha, well, it's not really all that simple. The only reason the can run homebrew is because the wii system is still a hybrid game cube. They only need the drive chip so they can run the code to execute the exploit the system itself. The same could be done and has been to some degree on the 360. They can get imports to run because it's the drive itself that controls the regioning, unlike the 360 whose drive not only has a region code, but the hypervisor as well. So, if you insert a PAL game into an NTSC 360, the drive would say it's ok to run this game, but the hypervisor would then pop up a blade notification saying, this game is for a different region than your console, you can't play this game, go away, blah, blah, blah.

And there is no control over system firmware. That part hast not yet been conquered. They do have control of the drive's firmware though. Basically, it's exactly like the 360 chips, its just that like you said, the console security has been figured out to some degree and we are able to take advantage of it through the use of a chip. We put a disk in whose contents has been modifed with an exploit and resigned using trucha signer, burned to a disk, then the modchip reads it, says it's ok to run this program. Then the system reads it, and since it's trucha signed, thinks its authentic and runs it and viola, the exploit does it's thing. Normally, when you change the games content like that, the signature is broken and the console won't run it, or give you a DRE. With Trucha signer, they can resign the data and the console "thinks" the signature is intact and runs it.
Sadalius

Return to “General information”