Video game addiction 'like being on drugs'

Have a read and let us know what you think.
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

As many as one in 30 computer game players have symptoms similar to those of gambling and drug addicts, psychologists say.

Gaming formed such a large part in the lives of three per cent of gamers in a study that they missed meals and went without sleep to spend more time playing.

They suffered withdrawal symptoms and had difficulties cutting back on their hobby, and were found to be more introverted, emotionally unstable and have lower self esteem than average.

Psychologists, presenting the research at the British Psychological Society conference in Dublin yesterday, said gaming addicts had personality traits similar to people with Asperger’s syndrome.

Autism spectrum disorders (ASDs), cover a range of developmental disorders that impair the ability to interact socially and communicate, including more severe cases of “classic” autism and milder forms including Asperger's.

Estimates of the numbers of children with ASDs vary from 0.6 per cent to 1.2 per cent of the UK population.

Lead researchers Dr John Charlton, of the University of Bolton, said: “Our research supports the idea that people who are heavily involved in game playing may be nearer to autistic spectrum disorders than people who have no interest in gaming.”

“Our analysis show that personality characteristics tend to become more negative as group membership increasingly approximates to addiction.

“We found the people who were addicted were less emotionally stable or neurotic, and generally more anxious, had lower self esteem.

“At the extremes these are personality characteristics associated with Asperger’s syndrome.”

A group of 391, 86 per cent of whom were male, people who played an online fantasy role-playing game called Asheron’s Call completed personality questionnaires.

They were also assessed for measures associated with addiction such as whether they experienced withdrawal symptoms such as agitation when not playing, inability to cut down, and whether they missed sleep or meals to play.

Overall three per cent of the gamers were defined as being so addicted that their lives suffered as a result of their hobby.

The more addicted they were, the higher they scored for introversion, emotional instability and low self esteem – all traits described by the researchers as associated with Asperger’s.

Dr Charlton suggested those who found computer games to be taking over their lives should see their GPS or possibly seeking counsellings.

=========================================================================================================

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

There right ,on no, what am i going to do.
i'm addicted.im emotional unstable,and oh my god, am i neurotic :!:
OK
thanks dr. ill take 2 of these a day. if that dont work ill take 3 of these.Then if i still need to play video games ,ill come back and you can give me some more pills to take.
:D :D

I needed this this morning.I fill better
every one have a good day and have fun.
CoFree
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
Jman 31
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Re: Video game addiction 'like being on drugs'

Post by Jman 31 »

Wow Free, for a minute there I thought they had written this story on you! quote---"difficulties cutting back on their hobby, and were found to be more introverted, emotionally unstable and have lower self esteem than average." :lol:

More pills usually helps any problem.
ROBINHOOD'S PLAYGROUND
lilrevuk
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by lilrevuk »

wait, there's pills involved... SIGN ME UP :P

I wonder how many of that %3 play WOW??

lilrevuk
And if at first you don't succeed..? Order the damn card! :Phttp://tekgems.com/Products/la-pci22-vt6421a.htm
Mirc is a place to chat, post up on the site for help!!!
parminder
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by parminder »

this is actually so true not that it involves me, maybe a bit but one of my m8ts act the way they said the symptom will be. my friend is definately an addict because wheneva i see him hes talking about games all the time, he only buys games no time for girls, clubs but just games, one thing suprises me is that he still pases a year at university. also hez got like more than 2000 movies, nintendo ds, wii , lite, psp ,ps2 ps3, xbox 360, xbox, snes, dreamcast and i wonder if you call this addiction. before meeting him i thought i was a game addict or the one who plays so many games but this guy did beat me to it. well this is a really good info and glad you posted it here cofree. one thing implies me i do tend to get bored if i dont play a game.
thanks
flashed 16 benQ, 8 Sams25, 3 sam28, 2 hit 0059dj, 2 0047dh 3 0047dj, still stuck on 0078fk, failed 0047dj hardware

walker72
Trusted Member
Trusted Member

Post by walker72 »

It applies to me as well, I have lost sleep, missed meals and even missed work to play games and even stayed up for 36 hours straight playing games online and I am going crazy because I am running a air card and can not get online to play with my friends right now. So maybe I am one, shit I know I am and proud of it, but what else is there to do when you are married and have two kids. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sesshomaru
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Post by Sesshomaru »

Well I don't like the term addiction thrown around. I am 5 years in recovery for being a hard core alcoholic. So the term addiction is quite serious to me and anyone in recovery.

I guess people would say I'm addicted to the Xbox and online chat boards nowadays, but it's a helluva lot better than getting black out drunk every day.

Too much of anything is not good. The way I look at addiction (in general) is that if you devote so much time to something you neglect your primary responsibilities (wife, kids, job, school, etc) then you have may have an addiction. However, if you are able to fulfill for your primarily responsibilities, have healthy interpersonal relationships, and devote time to your hobby then addiction is probably too strong a term. Addiction in terms of drugs and alcohol is very different, there are specific criteria for that.

Return to “Front Page News”