error 74 repair?

The place to ask your questions about the Xbox 360
explicit.muscle
Bandit
Bandit

error 74 repair?

Post by explicit.muscle »

Ive got an xbox here with an e74. Will the x-clamp repair solve this issue?

Also, i've got another xbox here with an e68. Any way to fix this???
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Re: error 74 repair?

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

E68 is a HDD problem, just unplug the HDD, the error will go away. Which means the problem is the hard drive itself, its probably not spinning up, or has a corrupt image flashed to it.

E74 no you will not be able to fix it with an xclamp, there is a 95% chance its the scaler chip, and about a 4% chance its the av cable itself, the other 1% is that its a GPU error in which an xclamp MIGHT work, but a reflow, or reball would be quite a bit more effective.

Anyhow, to fix E74, first try a new av cable/hdmi if you still have the error, you will need to reflow the HANA. take a look at this picture to locate the chip:

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/2185/360elitemobo.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sometimes people have made custom heatsink's and stuck them on the HANA and thats fixed their e 74, you can try that also, there are hana/ana heatsink's on just about any 360 parts website.
explicit.muscle
Bandit
Bandit

ok, on the e68, i was told that it had an e68 and never saw if for myself. I have it now with no hard drive on it and it gives no error codes, just the 3LOD and code 0102.

the e74 is giving a 1022 code. I can reflow it with a heat gun, right? Ive done it on a ps3 before, so i kinda know how its done.
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

if it a error 0102
then yes a doing the heat gun trick may/should get it working again
but
it will be a temporary fix at best
getting it re-balled is the only thing i would do.
if we knew a fix/flash comes out for the slim anytime soon it would not even be worth messing with as far as im concerned
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

E68 has nothing to do with the console, its the HDD.

0102 however is a console error, and its a GPU issue. There is a cold solder joint under the GPU, you can xclamp, or reflow the GPU itself. The most effective method (which is almost a guarentee'd long lasting fix) is a reball on the cpu and gpu.

As for the E74, yes a reflow will work, just make sure you are reflowing the HANA/ANA and nothing else. A reball is more effective, but I dont know if people reball HANA/ANA's.

As cofree suggested, you might want to look into buying a new console, they are quite cheap now. I'd recommend selling the consoles on ebay for someone else to mess with, and buying a new arcade, or slim or whatever, but at the end of the day its up to you, if you'd rather mess with a console that will likely fail again and save yourself a couple hundred bucks, thats perfectly fine.
explicit.muscle
Bandit
Bandit

Im doing these consoles for someone else. Im just trying to get them to work for a little bit so he can get rid of em. Hes a tattoo artist and hes giving me a free tat if I can get em fixed. I got the e74 fixed and am currently working on the 0102 error. we'll see how it goes and if my next tat will be free
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

0102 is easy to fix, when people get 3 rings its almost always 0102 or 0103.

Anyhow, do what you did on the HANA/ANA but do it to the gpu, it should work fine.
explicit.muscle
Bandit
Bandit

im putting the heat sinks back on with the x-clamps and they feel loose. i can push them down a little bit. are they supposed to move at all?
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

Shouldn't be loose at all.

You should probably buy an xclamp replacement kit, or gather your own washers and screws. That'll help, and its WAY easier to install and remove if needed.
explicit.muscle
Bandit
Bandit

ok, i ordered the xclamp kit yesterday so i will put that on when i get it. I was just putting it back together to see if the 0102 was fixed, but now im getting a 0022. do i just need to wait for the xclamp kit for this?
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

0022 should give you 2 red lights, which means overheating. So either the heatsink's aren't on correctly (which is probably the issue) or there is an issue with the thermal paste. Either there isnt enough, too many air bubbles, paste is too low quality etc..

Just wait until you get the xclamp kit, install it, if you still get 2 red lights/0022 then its the paste itself.

Take the xclamp's off, and just rest the heatsink's on top of both the gpu and cpu (with paste still applied) power it on for a second, and the 2 red rings should be gone?
explicit.muscle
Bandit
Bandit

Im still getting error 0022 with 3 red lights. I got the x-clamp kit put on, and im still getting 0022 with 3 red lights. What confuses me is on this site, 0022 says CPU error, generally caused by a poor connection to the mainboard (cold solder joints/bridged solder joints). This can also be triggered by an error with the TSOP. on another site, it says GPU Error / GPU Overheating.
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

Take your screws, finger tighten them, then with a screw driver give them a quarter turn, they should be no tighter than that. Tight screws can cause 0022.

0022 is GPU, sometimes hana, cpu related errors are very rare, the cpu doesnt really overheat, thus the solder isnt heated and cooled to the extremes the GPU is, but in RARE cases 0022 can be caused by a cold joint under the CPU.

Anyhow, make sure your screws arent too tight. If that doesnt work you might try reflowing the HANA. If that doesnt fix it, you may need to re-reflow the gpu, as the first try wasnt successful. If you do both reflows and still get 0022, the last thing I can suggest to do is reflow the CPU.
explicit.muscle
Bandit
Bandit

haggard, u amaze me. I did a reflow on the hana, and it works perfectly. Thanks for all ur help from a noob.
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

No problem, hope the tattoo turns out nicely ;)

Return to “Beginners”