error 0102

Anything 360 that don"t have is own tread
explicit.muscle
Bandit
Bandit

error 0102

Post by explicit.muscle »

Ive got a rrod xbox here with a 0102 code. ive tried heating the gpu with a heat gun and it still is giving me the same code. Whats next?
southbound
Bandit
Bandit

Re: error 0102

Post by southbound »

0102 = Error E18

E18: Error in the "Digital Backbone" (CPU/GPU/RAM), this is usually caused by a cold solder joint between the GPU and the mainboard.There are two theories to fixing this one deals with the "X" clamps that hold down the chips. The other involves re-Heating the chips. DO NOT attempt either of these if your console is still under warranty. If your console is still under warranty return it to the store where it was purchased or call MS to have it replaced.
FLUX the CPU/GPU/RAM then try the heat gun again or try reballing the CPC and GPU but again there's still not a 100 % success rate and to reball you need equitment that costs, and if you're getting someone else to do it, with the money that you pay that person you're better of just getting a new 360

So try the fluxing the CPU/GPU/RAM And well man if this doesn't work you can't fix them all.
explicit.muscle
Bandit
Bandit

how do you flux the gpu? any tutorials on that?
southbound
Bandit
Bandit

Post by southbound »

Yeah try the GPU and CPU first if that doesn't work try fluxing the RAM

Then off course after you flux...

- Credit to HaGGardSmurf for the Heatgun vid
explicit.muscle
Bandit
Bandit

I did a heatgun reflow again and now im getting a 0020 error. Any ideas now? Did I heat it too much and melt the solder together? Also, 1 of the Fixed Voltage Regulators (highlighted in the picture) gets to hot to touch almost as soon as the xbox is turned on. I checked the voltage on the large tab on the right, and I got a .18v reading with the mobo powered up. Any ideas?
360 mobo.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by explicit.muscle on Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

ive never got one to work after i got a error 020
some others say they have
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
southbound
Bandit
Bandit

Post by southbound »

If you have any old boards that you're 100 % sure don't work, solder of a Regulator and replace it and see what happens then.
explicit.muscle
Bandit
Bandit

i was just about to try that out. I do have an extra mobo here, and ill let u guys know how it goes
explicit.muscle
Bandit
Bandit

im about to chunk this mobo in the trash. Its giving me an error code of 0001 now after I swapped out that chip. I know my power supply works perfectally. Powers up my other xboxes fine. I found I have no 12v power throughout the board. Any ideas?
southbound
Bandit
Bandit

Post by southbound »

What power supply are you using ? because when the first batch of xbox 360s first came out late 2005 they were sold with the 203 watt power supply (the bigger grey power brick) as the years have gone by, i don't know if you have notcied but the xbox 360s have required less and less power to run. Like for example the newer 360, elites came with the smaller black 150 w power brick. Then you have the newest 360 (s) i'm not 100 % because i don't have one but i think the power supply is holding no more then 130 watts and that's even a new power brick with a different end compleatly that doesn't fit any of the jaspers or older boards even if you do cut the circled red plastic parts in the picture to fit in you're board. ;) ;) ;) Image

There's actually somewere on the web a data sheet or something informing you about how much power is needed / used when you're at the xbox dashboard and when you're watching a DVD or playing an intense game of something etc etc...

I've actually got an elite power brick (the smaller black one) and have taken out the circled red parts ( deppending on what circled red part was needed either on the mobo side or the power brick side) so it fits. The xbox originally came with the grey 203 watt power brick.... but It's working fine with the black power brick. The reason i did this was because again i found information and look up what my board was ( Xenon/Falcon/jasper etc) and the information told me how much my board needed to run when using Dvds/ @ the dashboard/ playing games and it wasn't anything above what the black power brick was offering.Again i don't think every (the older 1st generations) would work with this, as they do infact require the grey bricks. I think mine was a 2 nd Gen that was boarder lining, but were still being sold with the grey brick, best to do a little research just to make sure.

So what you can do with you're current problem ? even though the 360 from 1 st Gen to 2rd Gen to 3rd Gen should run fine with the old grey power brick ( whether you've DIYed and cut out the circled bits or whatever to make it fit the board) because the 360 would only use as much power as it needs and would leave the rest, you could try finding out what year and what model you're 360 is and find out for sure if you're using the correct desinged power brick just to make sure that's not the problem in any way ( were just shortening possiblities here to help find the solution). So find out whether it's infact meant to use the grey or the black power brick just to make sure that's not a problem in any way...

Another thing you can try is... turning off every (or as much as you can) electrical applicant, plugs/lights etc, just to test, to see whether the actual supply that comes in to you're home doesn't become a little unbalanced in some places while other things are on, (again were just shortening possiblities here to find a solution) then try boot the board up....

And does the fan come on now that you've got this new error ?

Return to “General information”