Can I use a HD from a banned console on a virgin 360?

The place for more technical questions about modding your Xbox 360!
lowpost99
Peasant
Peasant

Can I use a HD from a banned console on a virgin 360?

Post by lowpost99 »

Two-fold question.
Our xb0360 elite(jasper) got banned last year right after we bought it, and I want to know if there any issues of detection/function/problems created if you install a 120GB HD that came from a banned console onto an new unbanned console running ixtreme FW? I wanted to ask before I did this as getting banned hurts, but my son asked about his achievements.... and I didn't know if this would create a problem or none at all.
P.S. Would the gamer tag previously registered to xbl still work once the account is updated with 12mo code?
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Re: Can I use a HD from a banned console on a virgin 360?

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

The account will still work just fine.

With the account, when they ban your console, if you sign in with the account on that console, the account will become corrupted. So when you try to sign in with that profile on another console, you wont be able to. You wont even see the profile in your list of accounts to sign in to.

The HDD should be fine, it's not going to somehow alert Microsoft you are using a banned hard drive on an xbox, even if it did thats not a bannable offence.

As far as the achievements go, if they were attained on the jasper console after it was banned, your going to need to take the profile, and put it on a usb stick, then uncorrupt it, then put it on your new console, and sign into live with it.

At the end of the day, it's easy to edit a gamer tag and unlock whatever achievements you want. If for whatever reason you cannot un corrupt the profile you can just use a profile editor and unlock your son's lost achievements. This is a form of cheating according to microsoft, and you CAN get your gamerscore reset, but as long as you haven't set your gamerscore to like 80,000 or something crazy it's very unlikely they will reset your gamerscore.
lowpost99
Peasant
Peasant

Post by lowpost99 »

HaGGardSmurf wrote:With the account, when they ban your console, if you sign in with the account on that console, the account will become corrupted. So when you try to sign in with that profile on another console, you wont be able to. You wont even see the profile in your list of accounts to sign in to.
Thanks for the quick response. I recall reading about the corruption of the HD about a year ago with the 6million banned around Dec 09' via C.O.D.M.W I think, but don't recall if we had to do anything about this in our case. We did continue to use the profile, and have continued to use it without any notable issues, earning achievements etc.

Before I asked these questions today, We got the new console home yesterday, and I recovered the gamer tag from MS, and added time on xboxlive to my account which is tied to this gamertag. It was their old last online copy as would be expected, so I called them and asked them if I could update it in the same manner you indicated with a USB stick. They say yes and the gamertag should still be tied to my xboxlive account. If I understand this correctly, I just boot it with a USB drive or stick. Under what section lets me export the profile(s) to a USB?

OR if the gamertag and HD are ok and cannot trigger a ban, do I even need to migrate the latest version of my gamertag in order to reconnect to xbox live. I was told that they are bound by the email addy, which has not changed.

Once I'm on the new xbox the plan is get LT+ on it, and stay aware of what games have been proven to be safe. I didn't want to risk not being aware of any issues with the HD.

Thanks for all your thoughts.

Thanks guys again
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

Well no you wont get a ban.

The only time corruption effects you is if you play on a banned xbox (corrupts your profile) then you try to use that profile on a non banned 360, you will not be able to use that profile as it is corrupt. If your just playing the profile on your banned console then you wont have any problems.

To transfer the profile just go to the storage tab, click your hard drive, find the profile, and move it to the usb drive. (USB drive needs to be formatted with the xbox in the storage section.)
lowpost99
Peasant
Peasant

Post by lowpost99 »

Oh. I just read your reply, and yep I see the difference. After I moved the profile to the USB, it read on the new system as corrupt. Thanks we'll just go back to where we where on the old gamer tag.

Thanks again for a swift reply, my son says thank you too!
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

Not a problem.

Getting achievements to carry over from a banned console are a huge pain, I personally dont mess with that stuff anymore. I have 1 console that was never actually banned but if I plug it in, it'll be banned. So I can use media center and play games and things without having my profile corrupted.

If I corrupt my profile on one of my banned console's I dont go through the trouble of uncorrupting, I'll usually just recover it.

Return to “360 DVD Drive Flashing”