Settlement in George Hotz Case

Have a read and let us know what you think.
tonyuk73
Herald of RHPG
Herald of RHPG

Post by tonyuk73 »

By Patrick Seybold.
"Sony Computer Entertainment America (“SCEA”) and George Hotz (“Hotz”) today announced the settlement of the lawsuit filed by SCEA against Hotz in federal court in San Francisco, California. The parties reached an agreement in principle on March 31, 2011. As part of the settlement, Hotz consented to a permanent injunction."

Both parties expressed satisfaction that litigation had been quickly resolved. “Sony is glad to put this litigation behind us,” said Riley Russell, General Counsel for SCEA. “Our motivation for bringing this litigation was to protect our intellectual property and our consumers. We believe this settlement and the permanent injunction achieve this goal.”

“It was never my intention to cause any users trouble or to make piracy easier,” said Hotz, “I’m happy to have the litigation behind me.” Hotz was not involved in the recent attacks on Sony’s internet services and websites.

George "GEOHOT" Holtz.

In the action, SCEA accused Hotz of violating federal law by posting online information about the security system in the PlayStation 3 videogame console and software that SCEA claimed could be used to circumvent the security system in the console and allow the playing of pirated videogames. Hotz denies any wrongdoing on his part. Hotz’s motion to dismiss for lack of personal jurisdiction was still pending before the federal court in San Francisco but a preliminary injunction was issued requiring Hotz to take down the postings challenged by SCEA.

“We want our consumers to be able to enjoy our devices and products in a safe and fun environment and we want to protect the hard work of the talented engineers, artists, musicians and game designers who make PlayStation games and support the PlayStation Network,” added Russell. “We appreciate Mr. Hotz’s willingness to address the legal issues involved in this case and work with us to quickly bring this matter to an early resolution.”

=======================================================================================================
Go geo go!you the man!

Update:Geohot responds.

Re- from Geohot blog

As of 4/11/11, I am joining the SONY boycott. I will never purchase another SONY product.

I encourage you to do the same. And if you bought something SONY recently, return it.

Why would you not boycott a company who feels this way about you?

There is much more to come on this blog.

I say Dont boycott but hack it to death :evil:
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Re: Settlement in George Hotz Case

Post by CoFree »

good
as far as im concerned its a win for the hackers.
If they had a good case they would have never settled.

now they should just have to tell him they are sorry for starting all the court crap in the first place.

DIE SONY DIE
oh im sorry
as far as gaming consoles go sony is dead
they have just not stopped kicking yet :D
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
twi5t3d
Bandit
Bandit

Post by twi5t3d »

i bet theres more to this story than whats been being said it wouldnt suprise me if hes helping them now,they jus dont settle that easy i was n law enforcement to long i know how shit works sumn jus doesnt make sense they where so fast to get him now not hmmm i dunno but everyone is entitlled to there own opnion im not gunna stop playn ps3 jus for that there into it to make money also i dont blame them nor do i blame anyone who hacks them or microshit let the flame begin i know there will be on person not agree with this response but owell also has anyone heard from sadillus :twisted:
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

Correct me if I'm wrong here but doesnt injunction mean to force someone to stop doing something?

Therefore george is to permanently stay away from hacking the ps3? Sounds like a complete and utter win for george and a total loss for sony...

Like twisted said, there is definitely something more going on here... :?
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

well my take is
sony knew they were not going to get a dime from geohot
add to the fact that anonymous was costing them money, alone with the fact there lawyers are costing them money
also public opinion was against sony
if i was Mr. Sony i would say i dont care just make it go away and save face as we can
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
djshauny1
Possible Ally of Robinhood
Possible Ally of Robinhood

Post by djshauny1 »

Didnt geohot say that if sony wanted to settle then they could only do it if they returned the otherOS feature.

Return to “Front Page News”