Downloadable Content?

Anything 360 that don"t have is own tread
King Brace Blane
Squire
Squire

Downloadable Content?

Post by King Brace Blane »

If this is covered in some other thread please feel free to point me in that direction.

I have read and been told recently that should I ever need to replace my 360, my downloadable content will no longer work. There seems to be some discussion on how to bypass this (sharing DC) but I am concerned that kind of modification could be detected by this newest upgrade if not the next. Another friend with a 360 said MS will fix it, but believes it involves a lot of paper work and a wait time of a month or so. However since I purchased my box used I highly doubt this applies to me. Should I replace the 360, is this really a concern or not? Up until this week I always thought the DC was linked to my live account and not the box.
trailz
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Downloadable Content?

Post by trailz »

Even in the worst case, all you would have to do is redownload the DLC. Premium DLC is tied to an account so you need to find it on the marketplace with the account you purchased it with and download it again. You do not need to buy it again. I don't know how it works if you are trying to redownload something that has been removed from XBL since you bought it.

I'm not 100% sure on what the rules are for what DLC will work when and what device it needs to be on. Free content and trial stuff doesn't seem to care at all should just work if you copy it to the new XBOX. Premium stuff seems to need the owning account to be signed in.
But there's no sense crying over every mistake,
you just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake.
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Re: Downloadable Content?

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

You can transfer content licences from your gamertag onto your new console.

So when you buy a new console you go onto the xbox website and sign in and do the licence transfer, now you can access all your DLC on the new console without even being signed in. You will usually still need to redownload it, but once youve purchased something on your account you will always have access to download it.

If you just swap your HDD from your old console to your new one all you really need to do is transfer content licenses from the website. If you bought a slim you will need to get the data migration kit or whatever it's called and transfer everything onto the new console.

Return to “General information”