Updating to new dashafter missing updating to the last one?

The place to ask your questions about the Xbox 360
Retrovertigo
Squire
Squire

Updating to new dashafter missing updating to the last one?

Post by Retrovertigo »

Had a good look around google etc and can't find an answer to this. Because I have two machines (one for originals and one for backups) I missed the last dash update on my backup machine because of the issues it was causing flashing drives back to stock etc.

Now, what happens if I find myself needing to update my machine for newer games, but missed that last update? I know the latest dash doesn't affect the dvd drive, and MS must have taken into consideration that some people will take machines online for the first time, and this latest dashboard is the one they will receive, so what happens? Curious to know and wary of updating at the moment. Thanks
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Re: Updating to new dashafter missing updating to the last o

Post by CoFree »

i took the latest M$ update on my offline console
i do all my updates from a usb for off line consoles
you can get the update from Here

im not sure if abgx360 is up to date yet on the ap25 fix.
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
Retrovertigo
Squire
Squire

Post by Retrovertigo »

I don't think I explained myself very well. My offline machine is on the dashboard previous to the one which flashed drives back to stock. If I find myself having to update it, can I just use the latest update, or do I need to update the dash with the "dvd back to stock" dashboard first? If I don't, can it screw anything up? Cheers
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

hmmm
i see
im not sure
what would happen
i know the latest dash DOES NOT flash the dvd drive
but yes the one before does

im just not 100% on this

i would just update the dash with the latest one and see what happened
the only thing that may happen is it flash the dvd drive and you need to flash a hacked firmware back in the drive
before you do all this make sure you have a good copy of your firmware saves
so you can build your hacked firmware if needs be.

also
if you do that
if all the ap25 files are not in abgx360 you would have to wait till that is done

keep us in the loop on this ;)
No Questions by PM.
Retrovertigo
Squire
Squire

Post by Retrovertigo »

I'm gonna do some more googling first. I was under the assumption that that last update added the XDG3? stuff? But MS must be aware some people may well be buying a machine and taking it online for the first time and have missed the last update completely. I wonder if it doesn't flash drives which were done last time as it keeps a record of it somewhere, but if the drive wasn't flashed, then this update does it instead. Will keep you posted!
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

i updated my offline console last night to the new dash and it did not flash my drive
but
its a console that has a v28 dvd drive :roll:
No Questions by PM.
Retrovertigo
Squire
Squire

Post by Retrovertigo »

Very late update to this thread.

Months after asking I have discovered that if you skipped the initial update which re-flashed drives back to stock, then when you do update to the most current dashboard, it does indeed flash your drive back to stock.

I find this interesting, as most are saying that once they had done that dash update which flashed drives, any subsequent dashboard updates haven't flashed the drive again.

So somewhere on your machine, a record must be kept of the fact your drive has been flashed back to stock at some point, and then it isn't checked again.

I know it's a late response, but just wanted to report my findings.
louisM92
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by louisM92 »

any update you take now will fash your drive back to stock if you didnt take the update that does this, the update will check if your drive has been flashed to the new stock firmware, if it hasnt then it will flash it, but if you took the first update (that flashes back to stock) then a newer one wont flash it back, this is because the newer update has checked for previous update and noticed you have took the previous update already so theres no need to flash back to stock

all that sounds confusing but if you piece it out bit by bit you will understand :)
Need your drive flashed? PM me to sort something out ;)
OR email me at louismoylan@live.co.uk
Flashing in the UK
Also do drive replacements :)
moonknight
Possible Ally of Robinhood

Post by moonknight »

Just a twist on how to look at this...

The updates aren't checking to see if your firmware is modded then flashing it to "stock", it is checking to see if the drive supports the new XGD3 game format and updating it if it doesn't. The updated firmware overwrites your modded firmware in the process, just like it overwrites older stock firmware.
louisM92
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by louisM92 »

so basically the firmware flashing update will now be included in every update thats released right.. so eventually you WILL have your drive flashed back to stock, pretty useless though as it can simply be flashed over again :lol:
Flashing in the UK
Retrovertigo
Squire
Squire

Post by Retrovertigo »

Ah of course, that all makes sense. I didn't think to look at it that way :)

Quick question as an aside to this - I have a machine here still on the pre-flash XDG3 dashboard. Has anyone settled on whether you should flash back to stock first before updating the dash, or is it fine (if keeping the machine offline) to let the dash update and then just flash the drive to the latest firmware? Thanks
moonknight

Post by moonknight »

I don't think it matters unless you are spoofing your dvd drive as a different type. Then it might try to update the wrong software. I have seen several take the update via live without flashing to stock first, with no adverse effect so far.
louisM92
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by louisM92 »

i highly recommend flashing back to stock firmware first, most people tend to run into problems finishing off the update, so flash back, make sure you have a clean dump of your drive too, then update, then flash with latest firmware :)
Flashing in the UK
Retrovertigo
Squire
Squire

Post by Retrovertigo »

Thanks for the replies guys. I am nervous about flashing my drive (only done it once as my pc slows down like crazy when I have a 360 drive connected, and makes me think it will freeze up)

On the plus side, my drive is the 83850 which doesn't need the probe and whatnot. I think I'll wait until the new dash comes out in Nov before tackling this again. Thankfully this site has the best video guides (I used one when doing this drive) just need to check if there is a guide for flashing back to stock etc as I will once again be nervous while doing it. Curse my clunky old p.c
moonknight

Post by moonknight »

On the plus side, my drive is the 83850 which doesn't need the probe and whatnot.
After the update, you will have a new firmware on it that will be 02510c, same as the other phat liteons. :cry: You will need a pogo mon thoin (pmt) probe (fairly easy to make) or a probe v3 to dump firmware after that. Make sure you have a good backup of your dvd keys prior to updating so that you can just flash newer firmware to the drive without re-dumping!

Return to “Beginners”