Hitachi GDR-3120L 0047dj DEAD can i still pull KEY?

The place for more technical questions about modding your Xbox 360!
patastinky
Squire
Squire

Hitachi GDR-3120L 0047dj DEAD can i still pull KEY?

Post by patastinky »

Hey Guys.. I just picked up an XBOX 360 fat with a XENON motherboard. I knew when I got it that the DVD drive wasn't working properly. I am unable to open/close the tray by pressing the eject button; nor am I able to open/close via the XMB. I opened up the dvd drive and looked inside. I don't see the red laser coming ON at all, so i figure the DVD's mobo is fried or bricked. I think i'm just going to buy a Hitachi GDR-3120L 0047dj from ebay and swap it out. However i read somewhere online that i can't just buy the same drive and swap them. That ill need to grab my dvd key! Is this true?

I think it's worth mentioning that I am able to manually open the tray. With the tray open I stuck a pin into 0 and 9 on the dvd power cable (MODE B), when i did that the tray closed. I don't know if that helps figure out what the issue is, but i guess it's worth mentioning.
moonknight
Possible Ally of Robinhood

Re: Hitachi GDR-3120L 0047dj DEAD can i still pull KEY?

Post by moonknight »

With the drive in mode b, try to read the keys in jungleflash and save the .bin. If you can get that far, we might be able to save your current drive.
patastinky
Squire
Squire

Post by patastinky »

moonknight wrote:With the drive in mode b, try to read the keys in jungleflash and save the .bin. If you can get that far, we might be able to save your current drive.
Moonknight - ill give it another shot. I have the VIA 6421 sata card, but for whatever reason jungleflasher/PC don't recognize the drive. I wonder if it's my GX620 Dell computer which is giving me the problem. I'll try to reinstall the drivers tonight. What if I can't pull the keys from my old drive? Am I SOL!?
sas67

Post by sas67 »

with via card you need the drivers disabled for flashing/dumping as far as i know.
goto C/windows/system32/drivers and look for viamraid.sys and just re-name it viamraid.bak
then reboot pc and goto device manager and you should see yellow exclamation mark next to via card.
dont panic,this is what you want to see.
hook up hitachi and then in device manager scan for hardware changes.
hopefully it will now be seen
flash all phat's and slim drives upto 1175fw.awaiting delivery of cr3lite

patastinky
Squire
Squire

Post by patastinky »

sas67 wrote:with via card you need the drivers disabled for flashing/dumping as far as i know.
goto C/windows/system32/drivers and look for viamraid.sys and just re-name it viamraid.bak
then reboot pc and goto device manager and you should see yellow exclamation mark next to via card.
Thanks fo replying and trying to help me out. I did what you suggested, but it didn't work. I know that the drive is going into mode B because the power light blinks quickly, but i am unable to open/close the tray so i'm unable to be 100% sure. My PC isn't detecting the drive at all. I actually get a weird CODE 39 Hitachi port enabled when check/uncheck the VIA box in JungleFlasher, but it still doesn't detect the drive.
patastinky
Squire
Squire

Post by patastinky »

sas67 wrote:with via card you need the drivers disabled for flashing/dumping as far as i know.
Thanks fo replying and trying to help me out. I did what you suggested, but it didn't work. I know that the drive is going into mode B because the power light blinks quickly, but i am unable to open/close the tray so i'm unable to be 100% sure. My PC isn't detecting the drive at all. I actually get a weird CODE 39 Hitachi port enabled when check/uncheck the VIA box in JungleFlasher, but it still doesn't detect the drive.
sas67

Post by sas67 »

ok i need more info
1.what os is your pc? and 32 or 64bit?
2.are you powering drive with the xbox360 or ck3?
3.what version jf are you using?
4.do you happen to have the x360usb?

this will help us help you,cheers sas67

patastinky
Squire
Squire

Post by patastinky »

sas67 wrote:ok i need more info
1.what os is your pc? and 32 or 64bit?
2.are you powering drive with the xbox360 or ck3?
3.what version jf are you using?
4.do you happen to have the x360usb?

this will help us help you,cheers sas67
1. Windows XP 32bith
2.I am using the XBOX360 to power the drive. I do not have a CK3. I turn off everything PC & XBOX. Sata cable is hooked up to the 1st port (closest to the front of the computer) on the VIA card. I put a looped wire into pin 0 & 9 on the dvd drive. I turn on the xbox and quickly pull the looped wire. As soon as i pull the wire the drive sounds like it's about to power one, but it doesn't. Once the wire is out I turn on my PC and run JF.
3.1.88b JF
4.I don't have a X360usb. I am new to the scene and I thought that it was only used to flash the drive. I figured I could save money by doing it this way just using the VIA card. Would the X360usb be useful here? I'm going to do some research on it. Thanks..
sas67

Post by sas67 »

in the hitachi tab in jf,are you using the winapi or portio?
you should select winapi
in the port tab try selecting each port and see if hitachi is found
also select ram upload,and make sure 49 is selcted in version tab

patastinky
Squire
Squire

Post by patastinky »

sas67 wrote:in the hitachi tab in jf,are you using the winapi or portio?
you should select winapi
in the port tab try selecting each port and see if hitachi is found
also select ram upload,and make sure 49 is selcted in version tab
--I have a Hitachi 47d though.. At any rate, i've tried what you mention and it didn't work. I am going to reinstall windows xp on that old pc of mine, see if that helps. Also I'm going to install the drivers for the RC-212 again (since ill be re-installing windows). I really appreciate all your help on this. See ya in a bit.
patastinky
Squire
Squire

Post by patastinky »

i just realized that the VIA controller says 3249i used the drivers that came with the RC-212 card they were on a floppy disk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sas67

Post by sas67 »

yes sorry i meant 49dj :)
dont worry,my via card shows like that also...
you should try and find a ck3 pro or lite.this is used to power the drive,and it also has modeB and eject button
this is cheap
http://www.xb360mods.co.uk/Xecuter_CK3_ ... 03242.aspx

patastinky
Squire
Squire

Post by patastinky »

sas67 wrote:yes sorry i meant 49dj :)
dont worry,my via card shows like that also...
you should try and find a ck3 pro or lite.this is used to power the drive,and it also has modeB and eject button
this is cheap
http://www.xb360mods.co.uk/Xecuter_CK3_ ... 03242.aspx
Sas67 - Alright it's only 20$ and maybe it will get the drive in MODE-B as well as perhaps have it read by JF. If you have a moment please see the attached pictures below. I wanted to show you what happens when i check VIA ports and when it's unchecked.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
patastinky
Squire
Squire

Post by patastinky »

Ck3 LITE is sold out. Should i go with something like this http://www.modchipcentral.com/store/xecuter-ck3i.html CK3i?
sas67

Post by sas67 »

may i ask why you are trying to find hitachi drive in mktflash?just use the hitachi tab mate,thats why its there :)
ive just got hold of a hitachi59dj and i will see if pc will find it,on win7 32bit.
that ck3i will do the job mate,if you were in uk,i'd lend you a ck3pro but you're in the us or canada

just found this related thread on Tx
http://team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?p=333722

it may or may not shed some light on the situation

Return to “360 DVD Drive Flashing”