Xbox 360 DASH update

Have a read and let us know what you think.
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Xbox 360 DASH update

Post by CoFree »

Microsoft at the heart of TV viewing
by: Jay Greene
Microsoft will push out an update to Xbox consoles Tuesday, designed to get consumers to turn on the device every time they flip on their televisions, not just when they want to play games.

Though most gamers will notice a dramatically different interface, and some will take advantage of more advanced voice-recognition controls, the real significance of the update is how boldly the software giant is putting itself at the core of the TV entertainment experience. Microsoft is partnering with 40 content providers from around the globe to significantly increase the amount of live and on-demand content available on Xbox.

Over the next month, Microsoft will add content in the United States to the Xbox from Verizon's FiOS TV, ESPN, and the Syfy channel among others. Next year, HBO Go and Comcast's Xfinity on Demand will come to U.S. customers. Many of the apps from partners are only available to customers who purchase an Xbox Live Gold Membership.

December 6
EPIX
ESPN on Xbox LIVE
Hulu
Hulu Plus
LOVEFiLM
Netflix
Premium Play by (MediaSet)
Sky Go (SkyDE)
Telefónica España - Movistar Imagenio
TODAY (MSNBC)

Later in December
4 on Demand (C4)
ABC iView (Australia Broadcasting Corp.)
AlloCiné
Astral Media's Disney XD (Astral Media)
blinkbox (Blinkbox)
Crackle (Sony Pictures)
Dailymotion
Demand 5 (Five)
DIGI+ (CANAL+)
GolTV (Mediapro)
iHeartRadio (Clear Channel)
Mediathek/ZDF (ZDF)
MSN
MSNBC.com
MUZU.TV
ninemsn
Real Sports (Maple Leaf Sports)
Rogers On Demand Online (Rogers Media)
SBS ON DEMAND
Sky Go (SkyDE)
TMZ (Warner Bros.)
TVE (RTVE.es)
UFC on Xbox Live (UFC)
Verizon FiOS TV
VEVO
Vudu (Wal-Mart)
YouTube

Early 2012
Antena 3 (Antena 3 de Televisión)
BBC
CinemaNow (Best Buy)
HBO GO
MLB.TV
Telenovelas/Sports (Televisa)
Xfinity on Demand (Comcast)

Microsoft is also adding new programming to the Xbox experience abroad. Canadian customers will get content from Rogers Media, Maple Leaf Sports, and TMZ, among others. And new programming will roll out in Europe, Australia and Asia.

The newest iteration of Xbox software, which Microsoft first unveiled at E3 this spring, does away with the interface in which users scrolled up and down to hubs such as Video Marketplace or My Xbox. After they got to a hub, users could then dive deeper into each topic by toggling to the right to the specific content they wanted.

Microsoft has replaced that look with the so-called Metro interface that it first introduced with Windows Phone 7. It's also designing the Metro interface into Windows 8, expected to launch at the end of next year. With Xbox, the Metro look starts with the content hubs--such as video, games, and social--displayed horizontally across the top of the screen. Selecting a hub shows the rectangular tile Metro-look. Each tile displays content, such as the latest games played or the hottest movies available on demand.

"The menu takes a back seat and the content comes front and center," said Mike Suraci, Director of Product Management in Xbox.

Microsoft has also baked in deeper voice control of the console for consumers using its Kinect sensor. The Kinect is better known as motion-controller that gives gamers the ability to use gestures to play games. But Kinect also has a microphone array in it. When Kinect debuted last year, games could use their voice for some limited voice-controlled navigation.

The new iteration goes far deeper. Now users can jump from hub to hub with their voice and select games, movies, and other programming just by uttering the title. It's not entirely intuitive, though. If a user wants to catch an episode of, say, "Breaking Bad," they first need to go to the video hub to request the show. They can't simply say "Breaking Bad" from the home screen.

Xbox also lets users search for content using Bing with their voice. They need to call out words in the correct sequence to make it work. To watch an episode of "30 Rock," for example, users can say, "Xbox. Bing. 30 Rock," and the console will display all of the available programming with "30 Rock" in the title. That includes the TV show as well as, for example, the album, "Greatest Hits: 30 Years of Rock" by George Thorogood & The Destroyers.

The results from those Bing queries also display content from Microsoft's partners. The idea is to do away with the endless searches for content among the various silos of services. So searching for "Super 8," for example, will give customers the opportunity to rent the movie from Vudu, which is Wal-Mart's video-on-demand service, and Netflix, as well from Microsoft's Zune marketplace. And Comcast subscribers will be able to find all of its video-on-demand titles from their Xbox, when its application debuts early next year.

The move could pull customers away from Comcast's set-top box interface, essentially handing over control of that experience to Microsoft. But Marcien Jenckes, senior vice president and general manager of video services at Comcast, said the company needs to be make sure its offerings are available broadly.

"We should be everywhere that the consumer is," Jenckes said.

Verizon has taken a different approach with Xbox. It's putting 26 channels of live television--including Comedy Central, HBO, and Nickelodeon--on Xbox through its FiOS TV application. With only 26 channels, there are plenty of holes, including all the broadcast networks as well as popular channels such as Discovery and ESPN (though ESPNews will be available). So if users want to, say, flip during a The Daily Show commercial break on a Monday night to check in on the score of Monday Night Football, they're out of luck with that application.

That's largely a function of obtaining the rights from the various networks, a time consuming endeavor, said Verizon director of product management Joe Ambeault. But the company is working toward that goal.

"This is just our Day 1," Ambeault said.

Ultimately, he sees a future where there won't be a need for consumers to own set-top boxes. Eventually, consumers will get all of their connect from providers such as Verizon through Xbox consoles, Blu-ray players, and digital media gadgets such as Roku and Boxee devices.

That's been Microsoft's long-term vision for Xbox from the day it dreamed up the console more than a decade ago. The company has always wanted a beachhead in living rooms around the world. The latest iteration of the Xbox interface isn't perfect. But it moves the company one step closer.
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
Deathuntou
Trusted Member
Trusted Member

Re: Xbox 360 DASH update

Post by Deathuntou »

Just another way for them to get you to buy another xbox 360 after it burns up from running all the time.
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

and money for all that shit
they want you to buy
i watch nothing that has commercials in it
if i pay for cable than why in the hell should i have to watch commercials

now they even show them at the movie house before a movie
what a load of crap :D
No Questions by PM.
Deathuntou
Trusted Member
Trusted Member

Post by Deathuntou »

I'm with you on that for sure ;)
louisM92
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by louisM92 »

now this takes the mick, ive not been prompted to take the update! i like the look of this one so i really want it! it will suit my new tv :D
Need your drive flashed? PM me to sort something out ;)
OR email me at louismoylan@live.co.uk
Flashing in the UK
Also do drive replacements :)
commando_lee
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood
Location: Up high in the tree looking out for the Sheriff of Nottingham

Post by commando_lee »

louisM92 wrote:now this takes the mick, ive not been prompted to take the update! i like the look of this one so i really want it! it will suit my new tv :D

Seen somewhere it was 3pm GMT. But since then major nelson has tweeted about a little delay in rolling it out
................................................................RobinHoods Very Own
.......................................Image
I do this for the fun and pleasure in helping people. But this is NOT my job. Post up on the boards with your question and some body will help you dont use the PM system.
leedo55
Bandit
Bandit

Post by leedo55 »

downloading the updates for the new xgd3 games and putting them on a memory stick to make them play is no longer working on the new dash
SincereSoprano
Bandit
Bandit

Post by SincereSoprano »

leedo55 wrote:downloading the updates for the new xgd3 games and putting them on a memory stick to make them play is no longer working on the new dash
So how can we play then? And any news of banning? And have you tried the TU while not signed in? Thanks.
"I am like any other man. All I do is supply a demand."- Al Capone
patastinky
Squire
Squire

Post by patastinky »

So even with the new LT 2.0 for Hitachi drives, if i update to the new dashboard i won't be able to play Skyrim... right?
moonknight
Possible Ally of Robinhood
Possible Ally of Robinhood

Post by moonknight »

Title update trick was for drives capable of ap2.5 checks.

Older Hitachis and Samsungs can't perform these checks, so they should be fine. C4eva is writing and new LT+ 3.0 firmware for all drives, though, including Hitachi and Samsung.
loady
Squire
Squire

Post by loady »

wish i had checked out before i updated this box i have here to flash the drive on....im going to just go ahead and flash it anyway..its not being used onl9ine so should be fine...i hope
loady
Squire
Squire

Post by loady »

heh...nothing to worry about...got it flashed with the pmt method
SincereSoprano
Bandit
Bandit

Post by SincereSoprano »

Any answers to my questions would be greatly appreciated!
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

on drive thAt do the ap25 checks
i dont think backups are working right now
drives that dont do the checks are working
and yes they are working on live
without being banned at this time
No Questions by PM.
SincereSoprano
Bandit
Bandit

Post by SincereSoprano »

CoFree wrote:on drive thAt do the ap25 checks
i dont think backups are working right now
drives that dont do the checks are working
and yes they are working on live
without being banned at this time

Thanks CoFree P.S. Hacking Jungle will be back up within days. Doc wanted me to let you know brother. Kudos.

Return to “Front Page News”