Used games a no-go on PlayStation 4

Have a read and let us know what you think.

Are you willing to buy a console that locks out second-hand games?

Yes
No votes
No
No votes
Hell No
100%

Total votes: 6

CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

A report says you won't be able to play used games on the upcoming PlayStation 4. Are you willing to buy a console that locks out second-hand games?

The opinion on used games varies depending on who you talk to. Gamers love to save money and pick up titles for less than full retail. Game developers feel like used game sales are choking the industry.

If a report about the upcoming PlayStation 4 holds true, then the new Sony console could be the first to put the kibosh on used games.

An anonymous source dropped some details to Kotaku. One is that the console is called "Orbis." Another is that it won't be backward-compatible with PlayStation 3 games. Finally, the big tip is that Orbis will have anti-used-game measures built in.

According to the Kotaku source, games will be locked to a single PlayStation Network account. Buyers of second-hand games would then have to pay a fee to unlock or register those used games.

Sony isn't the first company to contemplate putting an end to used games. A report earlier this year said that Microsoft is considering blocking used games on the next version of the Xbox.

As you might imagine, many gamers aren't thrilled with this concept. CNET reader tg-iv sums it up by saying, "I would not have a PS3 if used games did not work on it. No backwards compatibility and an inability to use used games = no sale for me."

If Sony goes through with used-game restrictions, will you still buy a PlayStation 4? Vote in our poll and chat it up in the comments.
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Re: Used games a no-go on PlayStation 4

Post by CoFree »

My ps3 has been in a draw for 6 months anyway
There is no way in hell i will buy a console i cant play used games on.
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
SUPERCELL
Squire
Squire

Post by SUPERCELL »

there is no way i would buy any console that i cant play used games on because then that would give them more lead way to jack up the price on games its bad enough that they are not back words compatible
trailz
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Post by trailz »

After the PS3-Linux scandal, there's no way I would consider buying anything from Sony.
But there's no sense crying over every mistake,
you just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake.
machineGUNmike
Squire
Squire

Post by machineGUNmike »

From what I understanding isn't the new gen Xbox720 going to do basically the same thing?

Return to “Front Page News”