12 volt Fan mod

CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

12 volt Fan mod

Post by CoFree »

12 volt Fan mod

This is a mod pulling 12v power from the dvd drive power.
There is a spot on the mother board to get the 12v from.One problem with this spot is it is hot all the time.You have to unplug your console for the fans to stop spinning.That could be a problem for some.
I've not looked into it much.

OK here's how to do a 12v mod, but it's loud. You will also lose the auto-adjusting functionality of the fans, where the voltage increases as the CPU temp does. That shouldn't be a problem though.

STEP ONE:

Take the RED and the BROWN wires shows below, and cut them off at the top of the plug, so you have the most wire left. Leave the BLACK and BLUE wires, as they're just grounds.

STEP TWO:

Twist, then solder the RED and BROWN wires together, then solder a third wire to that, about 5" long. Solder the OTHER end of the third wire to the wire that goes to the DVD drive.
Then just put it back together.
Yes plug the fan plug in just like it was stock.

Here are some pictures.You should be able to get a good idea of what to do.
Under the tape all wires are soldered together.
Do not just tape the wires together.

On a side note.
1 of the wind tunnel mods.You just tape,or cover the heat sinks so all the air has to go through the heat sink completely.
Yep thats right.On all the wind tunnel mods I do,gets a nice picture over the heat sink. :? :twisted:
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Re: 12 volt Fan mod

Post by sadalius »

You did a good job there man. I don't use the dvd drive for power on the 12v mods I do, mainly because I think that the possibility of under powering the drive exists. Not saying that it would ever be a problem, just that it could. I always find a power source on the motherboard separate from the dvd drive usually the spot where there was supposed to be a fan header installed but not. The only downside to using that spot is when you turn off the 360, you have to unplug it or the fans keep running. Although I don't few this as a downside because when you stop and think about it, if your fans turn off as soon as you hit the power button, all that heat is left to build up and have no real egress. But if your fans kept running and you let it run for about 10 minutes and then just unplugged it, it could evacuate the heat after the rest of the circuit has powered down and got real nice and cool.

Here is a pic of the fan header. The location is to the side of where the wireless board plugs in at. You can actually have it to where it does 5v or 12v. You have to bridge a connection on the back side of the motherboard directly beneath the missing fan header.

Here is a pic of the backside:
For 5v, bridge R7V6 together, for 12v bridge R7V7 together. Then solder a wire to the center hole of the missing fan header and connect to your positive fan wires. Leave the ground wires in the original fan connector.
Sadalius

No questions by PM please
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Re: 12 volt Fan mod

Post by CoFree »

the staying running is a good thing.
The thing i just dont know what kind of power draw that on board can take.

Ive got a few :D out there if Any have a problem ill post up.

if you have a picture of that 12v spot just edit my post. ;)
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.

Return to “Other Tutorials”