New PS3's: No More Backwards Compatibility

Digital Menace
Trusted Member
Trusted Member

New PS3's: No More Backwards Compatibility

Post by Digital Menace »

i think most of us already know this by now, that the new 80 gb ps3 to debut in september won't have BC.

anyone else that doesn't already have a ps3 feel like you just got slapped in the face ?

i sure do, i still play alot of ps2 games (mainly rpg's) and i think this is a load of crap, my fat ps2 is dead more less and is only kept alive through hdloader, and even so some games just don't work, and i sure as hell don't want to spend another $100+ on a slim or whatever ps2 just to play some of my old games in which i would've been able to on my ps3 if the idiots at sony kept BC.

like 2 years ago sony praised BC, and they would knock microsoft for having "emulated"' BC on the 360, and now these evil hypocrites are abandoning it completey on their ps3 ? wow.

i could go on with alot of other crap about sony but i think this is enough for now i guess.

anyone else see where i'm coming from ? i just really hate sony right now and have for some time, and on top of this my psp stopped reading umd's earlier this year an it's less than 2 years old at the time.

i know the 360 an microsoft are not without faults, but still sony has ALOT of them, i would say alot more than MS.
m60_maniac
Trusted Member
Trusted Member

Re: New PS3's: No More Backwards Compatibility

Post by m60_maniac »

its only the 60gb that was bc, the 40 was cheaper and had 2 less usb ports and no ps2 support. thats why i want a 60gb :D

Sesshomaru
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Post by Sesshomaru »

It's not that expensive to get a PS2 secondhand. The fat ones are still around, slims have always been garbage imo, the quality of parts has gone down to zero. The way I look at it, the PS3 no longer being backwards compatible is far less of a bother than MS waiting almost 3 years after release to address the RRoD.
parminder
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by parminder »

its all about how lazy you are. well i am 1 of them as i wont bother connecting ps2 separately to play the games and just use my ps3 while i m at playing on it. i also though that 80gb would be bc and ended up selling it and found out later on. well you can just look on ebay and pick up 1 from there but they are selling at high prices.
flashed 16 benQ, 8 Sams25, 3 sam28, 2 hit 0059dj, 2 0047dh 3 0047dj, still stuck on 0078fk, failed 0047dj hardware

Digital Menace
Trusted Member
Trusted Member

Post by Digital Menace »

yea that's how i feel, i mean i don't want to keep my ps2 around cuz sony likes to talk crap an then contradict themselves.

this was the main reason i wanted a ps3 so i could put my ps2 aside and just have my ps3 and 360 out.

from what i understand this new ps3 won't have a card reader either ? if not that sucks too.

anyone know if the current 80gb has the same BC as the original 60gb ? i'm not sure.

i mean i really don't want to search around online shell out 400+ on some used ps3 either cuz sony wants to drop BC all of a sudden an pretty much say screw people who play alot of ps2 games.
m60_maniac
Trusted Member
Trusted Member

Post by m60_maniac »

as far as i know its only the 60 with bc, im from uk so not sure about the 80gb. i think it will only be the 60, its a lot cheaper to get rid of it, they are trying to compete with 360 in price. they forget that the games on 360 are better lol.

i want a 60gb for the reason they were the 1st ones out and the most wanted. they keep going up in value cuz of the bc :)

MsK
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by MsK »

I'm not really bothered about ps2 games... I gave them all to my kid my brother along with my old ps2 years ago

next gen all the way for me :D

I can see how you guys feel tho
Digital Menace
Trusted Member
Trusted Member

Post by Digital Menace »

yeah man i mean ps3 has nothing when it comes to rpg's, not yet anyway.

ps2 has so many and persona 4 coming out, it's why ps2 was so great.
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

MsK wrote:next gen all the way for me :D
i with you on that man.
give me the new stuff. :lol:
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
Digital Menace
Trusted Member
Trusted Member

Post by Digital Menace »

i agree i like the next gen graphics too, all i'm saying is see where i'm coming from.

an sony is messed up for killing bc.
m60_maniac
Trusted Member
Trusted Member

Post by m60_maniac »

but cuttin bc makes the consoles cheaper, they did it to be in same leage as 360 for price. ill admit the graphics of ps3 are amazing but the price and poor assortment of games just kills it. i only reli want 1 for maybe 3 games lol. and if i get 1 it will be a 60 gig off ebay

Sesshomaru
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Post by Sesshomaru »

The 80GB PS3's originally were bc with about 75% of PS2 games and PSX games. The new ones apparently cut it out altogether.The 40GB model never had any PS2 bc.
Digital Menace
Trusted Member
Trusted Member

Post by Digital Menace »

so the 80gb ones that are out now have pretty good bc ? i know maybe a lil less than the 60gb but still good enough right ?

that's what i thought but wasn't sure.

an yeah i know the new 80gb won't have any bc.

i mean i read it doesn't make the ps3 development any cheaper without bc, they just decided to trash bc which was rigt outta left field seeing as how sony was always pro bc and spoke very highly of it.

it's just not right, but oh well.

http://www.istockanalyst.com/article/vi ... eting.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

^heres a good read bout sony/ps3, and mistakes they made/said.

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/3426.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

^and another on BC...

"Contrary to what many believed, it doesn't appear to be a matter of cost; it's just a decision Sony has made. As Tretton went on to say- "We're selling PS2 software to PS2 customers, and selling PS3 software to PS3 consumers." That's it, and that's all."

it's just stupid an makes no sense far as getting ps2 owners to get a ps3, but yeah oh well i guess.
Sesshomaru
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Post by Sesshomaru »

The original 60GB model had very good backwards compatibility, about 90% of PS2 games I believe. The 80GB models which followed had less PS2 backwards compatibility, but still were backwards compatible with about 75% of PS2 games. The 40GB model cut PS2 backwards compatibility altogether, but is still backwards compatible with PSX games. I'm not sure if the 80GB models in stores now are the ones which still have PS2 backwards compatibility or the ones without.

The PS3 should dominate this console generation for sales imo. The hardware is sound and extremely powerful. Coding for the Cell is a pain, and I don't know if we will ever see a game on PS3 that really showcases its technical superiority.

You are right though, if it's not a cost issue, it really is stupid to cut backwards compatibility. In the early days of the PS2, I used it more for PSX games than anything, as my PSX died and I still played a lot of console RPG's at that point.
Digital Menace
Trusted Member
Trusted Member

Post by Digital Menace »

yeah sess it's good to know you feel what i'm saying lol.

i mean atleast have one model with bc and if they want have one without, just like they were doing.

why change ? you know.

i mean atleast give us a choice, instead of just saying the hell with ps2 gamers trying to make the transition to ps3.

anyway i agree ps3 is superior and will probably dominate sales espcially in another year or so, it's just too bad it might be a lil too superior, but i think over time game development should get easier for the devs, this probably being one of the main reasons 360 is gettin some exclusive rpg's that many thought would only be on the ps3.

i mean hell persona 4 is on the ps2, that should tell you devs really don't even wanna bother with the ps3 yet seems.

oh well hopefully this will change or else ps3 is screwd and will never be a rpg monster like ps2 was.

Return to “General information”