Herald of RHPG
Herald of RHPG

Heatgunning without damaging anything

Post by jockavelli »

Errors fixable with this method:
Primary/ Secondary Errorcode
1RLOD E67; E69; E73; E74; E79;
2RLOD 0011; 0012; 0013;
3RLOD 0001; 0002; 0003; 0020; 0021; 0022; 0023; 0100; 0101; 0102; 0103; 0110; 0203;
4RLOD N/A

Heatgunning without damaging anything

Heatgunning the mainboard is a risky thing as it will definitely start smoking if you dont isolate it properly most people will have noticed that already.

Well what you need:
- Completely disassembled xbox 360 mainboard(always remove the heatsinks or you can trash the board after you reflowed the solder...)
- A heatgun obviously
- Some aluminium foil
- tape
- Some thick plastic foil(like on the picture, the thicker the better)

OK lets start
1.jpg
This is the foil I used

Then cut out a hole for the CPU etc
2.jpg
So that it looks like that

Then fix it with the tape and make sure you close everything so that no air can come through...

Same procedure for the other side, cut and fix with tape
4.jpg
Use some tape to fix the rest on the backside, dont put any foil over the holes of the screws though cause it will melt then
5.jpg
Then cover everything with aluminium foil make sure that there are no holes again
6.jpg
Now that the preperation is done, get your heatgun and use it on the lowest step to warm it up for a minute. Never keep it at the same spot, move it over the whole area in circles. Then switch to the next step (thats a 500°C for me) and heatgun it for another 3 minutes.
The solder gets a golden/yellowish glance when it's reflowed, that's when you are done. Also make sure that you never move the board or accidently hit the table while you are reflowing it because this might (VERY NAUGHTY WORD) it up completely...

Then let it cool down for at least 45 minutes and after that carefully remove the aluminium foil and the rest of the isolation. You will see that the plastic melted but the most important components are still covered(like the big caps). If you still have the time turn the mainboard around and heatgun it from the other side as well thats what I always do but the first time should have been enough already. On the backside you wont have to isolate anything as there isnt anything that melts at low temps just watch out for the plastic parts(you shouldnt be anywhere near them while heatgunning though because it is not the area that you want to reflow...)

Now you are done, congrats!

Hope it works as well for you as it has for me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bringing NEWS & VIEWS to RHPG
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Re: Heatgunning without damaging anything

Post by CoFree »

I would add.
This should only be done if all else has failed.
There is a good chance of getting a error 0020 after doing this.
If that is the case then it is over.

That being said.
This fix can bring a console back from the dead at least for a while.
We would suggest you do a x-clamp fix.Then if need be do a little heat gun.
The heat gun is not a for ever fix.It is just buying you some time.It will Red Ring again. :cry:

Post moved to a better spot. ;)
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
xx0warrig0xx
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Post by xx0warrig0xx »

I only foiled around up to the 2nd heatsink and DID NOT do the back. I also prepped the Motherboard on bricks i found in my garage from when my house was being built. My 360 works fine now so im not worried
technoe
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by technoe »

It should be noted that, if you DO NOT cover the caps like they're supposed to be you will burn them up and a dark copperish color liquid will start pouring out of them as well as make a slight popping or cracking sound. Then all you can do is replace the caps and hope to GOD that you didn't do any other major unknown damage.
Today Money, Tomorrow the WORLD!!

Return to “Xbox360 guides go here”