Help Using Laptop as a Router

sccrbrandon4788
Possible Ally of Robinhood

Help Using Laptop as a Router

Post by sccrbrandon4788 »

Ok, what I want to do is connect my 360 to the ethernet port on my laptop and us the wireless on my laptop to get on Live on my 360 (did I confuse you?). Well I've tried bridging my wireless with the LAN and it didn't work, then I tried just Sharing my Wireless connection, and that didn't work. Any other things I can do to figure this guys?
The reason I want to do this is because my router is no where close to my 360 and I don't want to spend the $ on a 360 wireless adapter.
MsK
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Re: Help Using Laptop as a Router

Post by MsK »

sccrbrandon4788 wrote:Ok, what I want to do is connect my 360 to the ethernet port on my laptop and us the wireless on my laptop to get on Live on my 360 (did I confuse you?). Well I've tried bridging my wireless with the LAN and it didn't work, then I tried just Sharing my Wireless connection, and that didn't work. Any other things I can do to figure this guys?
The reason I want to do this is because my router is no where close to my 360 and I don't want to spend the $ on a 360 wireless adapter.
You just bridge the connections but you will need a "crossover" ethernet cable to run from the pc's network card.

The gray cable that comes with the 360 is "crossover" ;)
sccrbrandon4788

Ok, I don't have one cause I bought mine on ebay (long story). I'll have to pick one up soon and try it out. I've been using an ethernet cable and the 360 recognizes it but it fails when trying to get an IP address. Thanks MSK
sccrbrandon4788

So I picked up a crossover cable from work and will test in a few hours, but I noticed that I wasn't able to get online wit my laptop if it was bridged. Is this due to the bridging or maybe I have to have the 360 connected to access the internet, or does it only use the laptop as a hub? I mean I don't really need to use my laptop, just wondering how that works.

Return to “General information”