Changing A Drive

The place to ask your questions about the Xbox 360
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Re: Changing A Drive

Post by sadalius »

OK, you're trying to replace a hitachi 47 with a samsung ms-28, right?

Yes. ms28 is ok. With the samsung drives, you can upgrade to a newer drive with no problems, but you couldn't downgrade. Meaning if you have a MS-25, your firmware can be upped to ms28 with no problem. The hacked firmware is based off ms-28. But if your spoofing the samsung as a hitachi, it won't matter the firmware version as long as what its reporting as it being spoofed as is right.

Your mtkflash command needs to be like this:

To read:
mtkflash r /m orig.bin

to write:
mtkflash w /m filename.bin

When it says fail to open input file, it means it can't find the firmware file. This can either be because the command itself is typed wrong or the filename of the firmware is typed wrong. If your firmware filename is ix14.bin, then you should type this command to write it:

mtkflash w /m ix14.bin

That should get you going.

EDIT: You should be able to send me PM's now to BTW, sorry about that....
Sadalius

No questions by PM please
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

In addition to my last post, as a test, I took a known ms-25 firmware and ran it through to make a hacked firmware, and it came out as ms-25 rom version, not as ms-28. So if you actually dumped that drive and fw toolbox reports it as ms-28, I dunno. It must have been flashed previously or something....
Sadalius

Animotion
Squire
Squire

Post by Animotion »

sadalius wrote:In addition to my last post, as a test, I took a known ms-25 firmware and ran it through to make a hacked firmware, and it came out as ms-25 rom version, not as ms-28. So if you actually dumped that drive and fw toolbox reports it as ms-28, I dunno. It must have been flashed previously or something....
Hi sadalius

good news :D. I try put your command in and it worked :D but i had to do the ten second switch off thing i thought that i would not have to do that with an ms25? , but anyway on the 10 second i turned it on and it did all banks ok,

I have booted it up and quickly tried my origianal forza 2 game, and worked fine 8x is nice to be a little quieter to :).

I have no idea if it play backups i haven't made any :( I assume that it working with original games is a good thing :)?

I was reading that there are special kroen drives? I will read up tutorials on here :)

Thank you both for your feedback an help :) great place here :D

Oh an thx coffee i followed ur tutorial an did the 10 sec trick after watching your vid :D

the thing is toolbox reported it as MS25, an that the firmware making program put it as ms28 hacked, i understand now that it because there is no ms25 hacked firmware?
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

Glad you got it going Animotion, congratulations. Yes, if it plays originals, that is indeed a good sign. It should play backups as well.

On the subject of the hacked firmware, there was a hacked MS-25 firmware, but that was a long time ago. It's no longer usedm, so you shouldn't have to worry about a thing.
Sadalius

Return to “Beginners”